The Current Jets Roster may be the Best Winnipeg Jets Team Ever in the NHL

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Yo I wrote something.

Last night was a glorious night for hockey in Winnipeg. Yes, the Jets lost in shootout and only picked up one point in the standings. The Los Angeles Kings though lost to the Calgary Flames in regulation time, which means the Jets are going to the big show.

The Winnipeg Jets are going to the playoffs, and they may be playing there with the best Winnipeg team to ever play in the NHL.

We will show you why after the jump.

http://jetsnation.ca/2015/4/10/the-...e-the-best-winnipeg-jets-team-ever-in-the-nhl

Last edited:

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
I think a bit too premature Garret - don't start writing like Gary for headlines :laugh:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
How can you not figure that the Bobby Hull-led Jets of the WHA were the bets Winnipeg Jets team of all time?

Did I say they weren't... It's "Ever in the NHL"

See where it starts:
article_0a4028a8-8fea-4ee0-bc20-1cf27cd2b82d.png

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
JMO, but the 1984–85 Winnipeg Jets were the best Jets team ever in the NHL.

That team had Stanley Cup written all over it.... until during the third game of Calgary's first round playoff series against the Winnipeg Jets. In that game, Jamie Macoun cross-checked Dale Hawerchuk, resulting in a broken rib. Hawerchuk missed the remainder of the playoffs. If not for that injury, IMO this Jets team could have beat the Oilers and have gone on to win the Cup.

We still owe Calgary one. ;)

Last edited:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
How can you not figure that the Bobby Hull-led Jets of the WHA were the bets Winnipeg Jets team of all time?

Several reasons, but off the top of my head:

-The WHA was inferior to the NHL
-The talent pool was diluted since pro hockey went from 6 to 32 teams in only 7 years.
-players today are bigger, faster, stronger, and have better training than the 70s
-No players from Iron Curtain countries (Soviet Union, Czechoslovakia, etc) were in the WHA or NHL
-very few Scandinavians (a dozen?) were playing in the NHL in the 70s

Jets of the late 70s would be lucky to win 5 games in today's NHL.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

That team had Stanley Cup written all over it.... until during the third game of Calgary's first round playoff series against the Winnipeg Jets. In that game, Jamie Macoun cross-checked Dale Hawerchuk, resulting in a broken rib. Hawerchuk missed the remainder of the playoffs. If not for that injury, IMO this Jets team could have beat the Oilers and have gone on to win the Cup.

The Oilers were at their prime, and would have beaten the Jets easily. With Hawerchuk in the lineup, we may ahve stole a game or two, but Edmonton would ahve had no problem with us. The 80s Oilers were arguably the best dynasty in the history of hockey.

Having said that, the 84-85 Jets were very talented. Offensively, they were better. Hawerchuk, Steen, MacLean, Mullen, Boschman. Defensively, it's fairly even, as the Jets had Babych, Ellett, Carlyle, Watters, and Wilson. Todays Jets had better goaltending, as Hayward and Behrend were never good goalies.

Last edited:

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

:handclap: :nod: right on the money here. 84-85 jets were freaking fantastic, for those of us who remember it. That dirty SOB Macoun, that cross-check is imprinted in my brain for eternity. I'm proud of these current boys and I am hoping they can become the best Winnipeg NHL team ever, but that remains to be seen.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Several reasons, but off the top of my head:

-The WHA was inferior to the NHL
-The talent pool was diluted since pro hockey went from 6 to 32 teams in only 7 years.
-players today are bigger, faster, stronger, and have better training than the 70s
-No players from Iron Curtain countries (Soviet Union, Czechoslovakia, etc) were in the WHA or NHL
-very few Scandinavians (a dozen?) were playing in the NHL in the 70s

Jets of the late 70s would be lucky to win 5 games in today's NHL.

You speak with great authority. Tell us, how many of the WHA Jets games did you actually watch?
Or are you relying on advanced stats? :sarcasm:
Did you know that 2/3 of the famous Hull line("Hot Line") was Scandinavian, along with their most talented D-man? I believe the WHA Jets had a total of 6 European starters.
The WHA Jets defeated the Soviet National team in 1978, making them the first North American team to defeat the best of the Soviet Union. That includes the NHL.
The WHA was inferior to the NHL in general, but the Jets team in its prime was fantastic and an absolute blast to watch.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
The Oilers were at their prime, and would have beaten the Jets easily. With Hawerchuk in the lineup, we may ahve stole a game or two, but Edmonton would ahve had no problem with us. The 80s Oilers were arguably the best dynasty in the history of hockey.

Having said that, the 84-85 Jets were very talented. Offensively, they were better. Hawerchuk, Steen, MacLean, Mullen, Boschman. Defensively, it's fairly even, as the Jets had Babych, Ellett, Carlyle, Watters, and Wilson. Todays Jets had better goaltending, as Hayward and Behrend were never good goalies.

The Oilers were only 5-3 against the Jets that year. While the Oil had Gretzky, the Jets had 6 30 goal scores to the Oilers 5, and the Jets had 8 guys with 50 or more points to the Oilers 7.

Never know which way that series would have gone but it would not have been easy for the Oilers.

I wonder how that series would have gone with a healthy Hawerchuk and Gretzky out?

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
You speak with great authority. Tell us, how many of the WHA Jets games did you actually watch?
Or are you relying on advanced stats? :sarcasm:
Did you know that 2/3 of the famous Hull line("Hot Line") was Scandinavian, along with their most talented D-man? I believe the WHA Jets had a total of 6 European starters.
The WHA Jets defeated the Soviet National team in 1978, making them the first North American team to defeat the best of the Soviet Union. That includes the NHL.
The WHA was inferior to the NHL in general, but the Jets team in its prime was fantastic and an absolute blast to watch.

It's funny you mentioned that Jet game Jets (WHA) vs Red Army .... As I was at that game. I was also in attendance when they won the Avco Cup ....... Tried to get on the ice to celebrate the win after the game but an usher stoped me.....

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Am I a heretic for pointing out that the 84-85 Jets had an inflated shooting percentage?

The years directly on either side of that year were dramatically different that's for sure.

The 84-85 team might have been the most " successful" team to date but I don't believe it was the best. The current team seems much more sustainable to me.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Did anyone else see the DownGoesBrown Video Breakdown today?

Breaks down that 84-85 team.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nhl-grab-bag-a-replay-conspiracy/

some great snippets.

As we covered a few days ago, the 1984-85 Jets were (and still are) the best team in Winnipeg’s NHL history, so we can forgive their fans for being a little bit excited back then. No doubt this video will feature plenty of incredible saves, hits, and goals!

Well he disagrees.

• Like many highlight videos of the era, this one seems to have been made from about four actual games. That’s fine, though, because this is 1985, so that will translate to roughly 400 goals scored.

• It takes us all the way until 1:05 to get to our first hit that would merit a suspension in today’s league, which I think may be a record for one of these highlight packages. And for the second week in a row, it’s a Quebec Nordique getting two-hand punched in the head. Stop making everyone do that, Nordiques players.

• Note that at the 1:45 mark, one of our highlights — a play that needed to be counted as being among the very best of the entire season — is of a Jets goalie making the save on an unscreened slap shot from the top of the faceoff circle. The 1980s were so fun.

:laugh:

• Our final clip is of Hawerchuk scoring on a 2-on-1 against the Oilers in what I feel confident saying was a losing cause, since I have no recollection of the Jets ever beating the Oilers during the entire decade.

:cry: :cry:

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Can't wait till the Jets win a Stanley cup so we can bury any memory of the WHA like the Oilers did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad