Speculation: The coaching search continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Brilliant Staois move, Hire a terrible coach just so you can fire him 20 games into the season and replace him by the assistant you originally wanted.
There's the rub here, too. If Gruden is coming him with him, then really we're hiring our next two coaches. If (when) Green gets bounced, you just know they'll hand the reigns to Gruden.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
He also wasted near a decade with his amateur hour salvation army operation, and this team is in this position because of his budget cuts and underqualified employees like Dorion, so lets not go crazy here.

I'll take boring over a total shit show.
Please don't take this as me defending Melnyk, but this team just hired Travis Green (budget) and has Steve Staios (underqualified) in the GM and PoHo positions.

The old management and ownership group was a clapped out Pontiac Fiero, and the current management/ownership group is a Pontiac Fiero with a Ferrari F50 bodykit. Shit, even the Poulin/McGuire hires have hilarious parallels if you think about it.

More of the same with a nicer coat of paint.

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
He also wasted near a decade with his amateur hour salvation army operation, and this team is in this position because of his budget cuts and underqualified employees like Dorion, so lets not go crazy here.

I'll take boring over a total shit show.

Oh sure, post-divorce Eugene Melnyk was just an awful debacle.

But early Eugene Melnyk actually backed up some of his bravado. Brought in John Muckler and then Bryan Murray. Two legends of the game that gave us some swagger. Signed Dominik Hasek. Spent money in the early days.

So far Andlauer has done nothing to warrant much praise or excitement, other than "he's not post-divorce Eugene Melnyk."

A rookie dual role POHO and GM. A TV analyst assistant. A 2nd chance no good track record coach.

Cool cool.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
lol, why would he get 1 million in Ottawa, DJ was getting 1.5.
DJ was making 1M and had his salary reduced to 750K during COVID. Dorion made 800K. Straight from the lips of Sean Donovan.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
DJ was making 1M and had his salary reduced to 750K during COVID. Dorion made 800K. Straight from the lips of Sean Donovan.

And I'd imagine that Green will be in the ~1.5M range, whereas McLellan/Berube would have been ~$5M and Evason ~$3M.

That's probably why he's being introduced on Wednesday, let's not kid ourselves.

Plus Staios doing two jobs at once. That saves Andlauer, ~$1-1.5M per year at least?

The crazy is gone, but we're back to Bryden era penny pinching. Hopefully we hit on drafts and cheap contracts.

lang006

Jan 2, 2020
What a complete disappointment of a hire. Nice I guess they picked someone with NHL coaching experience for once. There are multiple better options out there that have had coaching success yet they choose friggin Travis Green. My day was going so well and now my mood is just soured completely 🤣

Reactions: DrEasy and jhutter

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
I'm shocked Dorion was making $800k. I remember (I think it was Friedman) saying that Dundon was only offering GM candidates something like $250k when he first took over, and that there were rumours that there was one GM in the league at that time making less, and it wouldn't have been too difficult to dtermine who that would've been.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Maybe he wasn't. But other than "trust in Staios", what makes you believe that Travis Green is, or will be, a good coach?

If your opinion is "I have no opinion and won't until he coaches a season or two, no one is a sure bet anyway" then that's fine, but why argue so staunchly about it. If you're going to wait and see, actually wait and see.

I, along with many others, will look at his track record and formulate an opinion. Maybe I'll be wrong, but I won't just gloss over his poor performance to date until I am proven wrong.
My position is that I don't have enough information to make a proper evaluation of Green, so I will wait and see how he does before passing any judgement.

Greens track record isn't extensive at the NHL level, and there's some mitigating factors in there that helpp explain why things may have gone off the rails,

I'm not so much saying Green will be great as just saying maybe we should pump the breaks on assuming he'll be bad.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Why does this franchise always keep making the same mistakes over and over again??? What has Green done as a coach that makes you think yeah that's our man to guide us to the next level? Oh being a fan of this team is so frustrating man, how hard is it to make good hockey decisions???

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
My position is that I don't have enough information to make a proper evaluation of Green, so I will wait and see how he does before passing any judgement.

Greens track record isn't extensive at the NHL level, and there's some mitigating factors in there that helpp explain why things may have gone off the rails,

I'm not so much saying Green will be great as just saying maybe we should pump the breaks on assuming he'll be bad.

He's coached more games at the NHL level than DJ Smith and about the same as Sheldon Keefe (349 vs 335). He's not the unknown young guy you're making him out to be.

He's got a pretty big sample size for an NHL head coach. 5 years is a lot. Longer than most head coaching careers. (he's 119/335 for games coached all-time). He'll pass guys like John Stevens, Mike Milbury, Brent Sutter and Guy Boucher next year.

If we can judge DJ, we can judge Travis Green.

Reactions: Cosmix

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Fair points.

I think they see a bare cupboard for prospects, and a team that doesn't work as it's been built that will be difficult to correct.

Like some have speculated here, they probably see at least 2 or more off-seasons worth of work to get things back on track just at the NHL level, let alone how long it will take to reacquire the futures we've lost (and there's still one left to go) to have a decent pipeline of ELC talent coming up.

I think that our expectations as fans, and Andlauers expectations as an owner, are not the same.

We want immediate improvement over the next few seasons. God knows we've earned it after all these years.

He wants to build a long term contender.

I believe those two goals are fundamentally at odds.
I’m not so sure they’re at odds.

I think short-term success is more or less our best path to long-term success. Our cupboards should be okay with this year and next year’s picks, but if we start selling everyone off, maybe not so much.

I really think the best thing for this team is to make the playoffs. It will calm the noise and give them time to address the flaws they might see in the core or the bigger pieces on the team. Anything else and you have a Buffalo situation where maybe you have to trade players you never wanted to trade.

Staios’ margin for error here is basically zero. So you just have to hope he’s right about Green, or we’re probably in for a looong few years.

Reactions: DrEasy and lang006

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Travis Greene is like another DJ Smith, and the absolute last choice. They dragged their feet on Roy, and ends up with Greene. Thus far, not impressed with Staios.

Hope Greene makes it work somehow, but colour me disappointed.
I not happy about Green but I didn't want Roy either. I would have prefer a guy like Bob Hartley even

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
"Green was still a top candidate for the Devils job but it’s clear Fitzgerald is waiting to see if something better comes along and that’s why he granted Green permission to speak with other teams."

Is getting the table scraps from the 23rd place team "Best in Class"?
Sounds from that like NJD are hoping one of Sullivan, Cooper or Brindamour gets fired but weren't comfortable blocking Green from intervening on a maybe our dream candidate will fall in our laps.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Please don't take this as me defending Melnyk, but this team just hired Travis Green (budget) and has Steve Staios (underqualified) in the GM and PoHo positions.

The old management and ownership group was a clapped out Pontiac Fiero, and the current management/ownership group is a Pontiac Fiero with a Ferrari F50 bodykit. Shit, even the Poulin/McGuire hires have hilarious parallels if you think about it.

More of the same with a nicer coat of paint.
Ya, I have no issue with those comparisons. Can't blame anyone for being upset here either, I get it.

If there's a difference, I'd say that Poulin was hired to collaborate with SS and he seems to be on board with that. He also doesn't have an absurd media persona like McGuire who was viewed as a bit of a joke. McGuire was hired by Melnyk to spy on Dorion or be a successor available or whatever and then was fired as soon as Dorion as he had the chance. Reported friction. There was the usual drama involved which is what really needed to go away.

I would also argue that once the luster wore off, the mantra was cheap cheap above all else. I don't believe that Green was hired because he was from a small pool of cheap coaches. I think they picked the guy they believe is the best choice, out of ones willing to sign in Ottawa. That's a very different scenario to me.
Oh sure, post-divorce Eugene Melnyk was just an awful debacle.

But early Eugene Melnyk actually backed up some of his bravado. Brought in John Muckler and then Bryan Murray. Two legends of the game that gave us some swagger. Signed Dominik Hasek. Spent money in the early days.

So far Andlauer has done nothing to warrant much praise or excitement, other than "he's not post-divorce Eugene Melnyk."

A rookie dual role POHO and GM. A TV analyst assistant. A 2nd chance no good track record coach.

Cool cool.
Sure, but those days are long gone, and were basically a distant memory even when he was still alive. The beginning is relevant though and I see what you're saying. No qualified POHO, and now a lesser name coach. Not Dominik Hasek either. Those were also lucky circumstances. Muckler was an experienced guy willing to come, same as Murray, but we already have some reports of a guy like Berube not being willing.

They are cap spending which hasn't been a thing in Ottawa since what, the early 2010's? I think that's important right now.

I can't fault anyone for not liking this hire. I'm willing to see where it goes simply because these guys haven't already failed a bunch of times like the last regime. We'll see I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad