Speculation: The coaching search continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
This is why I didn’t get the idea that it’s better to wait for the offseason to hire a coach because that’s when the options are there. This is also when there are the most vacancies.

I’m not impressed by Staios at all. I’m expecting Travis Green because he’s going to be the only one without another team’s offer on the table.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
This is why I didn’t get the idea that it’s better to wait for the offseason to hire a coach because that’s when the options are there. This is also when there are the most vacancies.

I’m not impressed by Staios at all. I’m expecting Travis Green because he’s going to he the only one without another team’s offer on the table.
Can we wait for the hire before criticizing. Who would you have hired in season ?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

I’m not impressed by Staios at all. I’m expecting Travis Green because he’s going to be the only one without another team’s offer on the table.
Half the people available likely aren't going to be hired anywhere

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Half the people available likely aren't going to be hired anywhere
The people we’re looking at (Berube, Evason , McLellan) are already speaking to other teams. I don’t see why they’d pick us over teams like New Jersey and Seattle. I really just don’t like Travis Green’s name mentioned so much right now I guess.

Reactions: BondraTime

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Rick Bowness is announcing his retirement today. So add Winnipeg to the list of teams courting coaches.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Good coaches and post season performance usually go hand in hand. Keefe has yet to prove this!
Dubas and Spezza may scoop him up.
good coaches and post season performance and goalie performance usually go hand in hand

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The people we’re looking at (Berube, Evason , McLellan) are already speaking to other teams. I don’t see why they’d pick us over teams like New Jersey and Seattle. I really just don’t like Travis Green’s name mentioned so much right now I guess.
Hey Green + korpisalo likely gets us the best odds at Mckenna

Reactions: jhutter

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Would be fine with any of the above guys

To be fair, I'd be perfectly fine with probably another 5+ guys noot on the list
There's a bunch of guys I just don't know enough about to have much of an opinion.

Like, Green, I really don't know what kind of coach he is since I never really followed Vancouver during his tenure.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
No matter what team had the last coach, all we will hear is that they are awful coaches.

Nature of the best when you're hiring guys that fans of other teams fired.

Reactions: Micklebot

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
No matter what team had the last coach, all we will hear is that they are awful coaches.

Nature of the best when you're hiring guys that fans of other teams fired.
Sure but some coaches actually experienced success in the NHL, and some haven’t. The guy getting brought up the most hasn’t, despite Alfie saying they want to hire some who has won before.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
If you read the comments of any coach that has ever been fired, it’s literally all the same thing. “Never made any adjustments”, “shuffled lines too much”, “played certain role players too much”, “has no system/the system doesn’t work” etc.

It’s all a bit silly imo. I think there’s so much more to it than record or what we see, feels like a pretty tough thing to evaluate with such certainty.

Reactions: GCK and BondraTime

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well i mean Vancouver hasn't really done jack shit during his coaching tenure.

Feels like another Dj Smith hire.
Should Vancouver have done anything more during his tenure? They were a crap team under Torterella, a crap team under DesJardins outside of his first year, then saw incremental improvements Green's first 3 seasons, before a bad shortened season where Pettersson missed half the games and their big UFA acquisition Holtby sucked losing his job to Demko and getting bought out after just the one year.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Should Vancouver have done anything more during his tenure? They were a crap team under Torterella, a crap team under DesJardins outside of his first year, then saw incremental improvements Green's first 3 seasons, before a bad shortened season where Pettersson missed half the games and their big UFA acquisition Holtby sucked losing his job to Demko and getting bought out after just the one year.
Guys like Evason and McLellan have at least gotten good results out of some average rosters. I don’t understand Alfie saying they’re looking for a proven winner, only to hire someone who has almost tbe same resume as DJ Smith. Was his interview THAT good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad