CFL: The CFL Thread: Part VI

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
This Hamilton team is so hard to watch right now. Has to be the most stagnant, low impact group of talent players in the THF era. Butler is the only consistent thing that can make things happen.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
This Hamilton team is so hard to watch right now. Has to be the most stagnant, low impact group of talent players in the THF era. Butler is the only consistent thing that can make things happen.
While Mitchell may be on the downside of his career his receivers may be making him look worse than he is.

Go Riders!!!

Only way they can lose is if they don't show up for the game.

Reactions: robertmac43

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Signing Bethel-Thompson ended the Elks season. Funny thing is, everyone could see that coming. I said the exact thing at the time. If Edmonton rolled with Ford to start the year they are around 4-3 right now in the tick of things.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Sensrule

Aug 30, 2007
I gave up on Calgary before the half. Can't believe they won.
As the saying goes. No lead is safe in the CFL, especially when it comes to the Argos. I fully expect the Stamps to break their road losing streak in the rematch next week.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Signing Bethel-Thompson ended the Elks season. Funny thing is, everyone could see that coming. I said the exact thing at the time. If Edmonton rolled with Ford to start the year they are around 4-3 right now in the tick of things.
MBT did have is in most games this year. Defense wasn't showing up when needed early on.

With that being said spending what they did on MBT sent a message and then Jones didn't make things any better anytime he talked about MBT or Ford.

Wouldn't be mad at all if Ford eventually asked out, although the guy could be a legend in this City if he can get the team going in the right direction.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
MBT did have is in most games this year. Defense wasn't showing up when needed early on.

With that being said spending what they did on MBT sent a message and then Jones didn't make things any better anytime he talked about MBT or Ford.

Wouldn't be mad at all if Ford eventually asked out, although the guy could be a legend in this City if he can get the team going in the right direction.
What MBT didn't offer was hope. I'm not an Elks fan and having lived in Edmonton for ~5 years at the heart of the Ricky Ray era I hate them about as much as I hate the Riders and the Als (Bomber fan). However I watch every game in CFL that I can, which has been ~3.5 per week this year (House of the Dragon starts at halftime on the Sunday games haha).

You can tell the whole Elks team plays different when Ford is in. On offense he adds such dynamic play from the QB spot that it takes ALOT of pressure off what is still a shaky OL, IMO. But when defenders have to rush as a group, stay in their lanes, it really makes the OLs job so much easier. Then the LB corps has to spy Ford on every play as well. Opens up the run game as we saw last game which keeps the D on the bench. Even the best defenses always do their best when the O wins time of possession. It can also open up the pass game.

Additionally you can just see the passion and heart he brings to the team. You could see it last year as well. That type of emotional leader can be huge. From the Bombers my biggest concern was losing that emotional leadership in Jemarcus Hardrick in the off-season. More than his talent on field that's what I was worried about. To me it's no coincidence that the Bombers played their best game of the year when they finally brought a similar type of character onto the roster in Lucky Whitehead.

Point being MBT has always been just a guy. Even when he led the CFL is passing yards a few years back, no one was thinking he was any kind of great QB. He'll work ok on a good team. He was never a guy that could turn around a team. To me anyways. Tre Ford screams being that guy and he has the talent to back it up. Ford was the 2nd or 3rd guy who reached Tevin Jones in the endzone to celebrate after that 90+ yard TD from the QB position! Guys feel that energy and it builds for a team. Particularly young teams trying to find their way. MBT felt like a same old same old. Tre Ford inspires everyone around him to be better. The optimism around the Elks died when MBT signed and you could see that on the field.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I still don't get why they brought MBT in.

It was obvious he wouldn't move the needle enough, so they should have just been looking to the future from the beginning.

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
The CFL season rolls on as we're now in Week 10.

Saskatchewan (5-3) at Ottawa (5-2) Thu. 7:30PM ET
  • The Riders are the answer to the trivia question of who Edmonton beat for their first win and it keeps Saskatchewan tied with BC for first in the West Division. Meanwhile Ottawa is riding a three game winning streak and teams coming off a bye week are 6-2 so far this season.
Calgary (4-4) at Toronto (4-4) Fri. 7:30PM ET
  • I'm a Stampeders fan and even I can't figure out which version of them will show up. Their 21 points in the fourth quarter last week keeps Calgary unbeaten at home, but now they're on the road again where they are winless.
Hamilton (2-6) at Montreal (7-1) Sat. 7PM ET
  • Did Anthony Calvillo and Ben Cahoon come out of retirement because the Alouettes dominance this season is really reminding me of those days. It could be another long night for the Tiger-Cats.
BC (5-3) at Edmonton (1-7) Sun. 7PM ET
  • An injury to Vernon Adams means that Jake Dolegala will likely be the one carrying the load for BC at QB. With the Elks finally coming to their senses and starting Tre Ford, this might be the first game in a while where Edmonton has an advantage at QB.
Bye Week - Winnipeg (3-6). The Bombers have somewhat dug themselves out of their 0-4 hole by winning three of their last five, punctuated by a 25-0 shutout of BC. Winnipeg will come out of their bye week getting another shot at the Lions, this time in Vancouver.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
The Redblacks then settle for the FG and that leads to a tie game, which was supposed to not happen with these goofy OT rules.

What happened to the game I love?

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Defensive pass interference eh? Erm… CFL :laugh: nice try to hand the Redblacks a loss, come out with the tie. Worst f***ing league, can’t wait for when it finally shuts down. A few more years!!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $871.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00