The Case for Tyler Bozak: All Tyler Bozak Discussion Here

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Bozak is producing no doubt, 56 points in his last 65 games since his break out year last season.

I still think he can play better, we are not sure why he missed games this preseason, but I think there is still something bothering him.

That's my observation. He seems a little slower than usual, something to keep an eye on.

The critique of Bozak that I have for him, is he has got to be healthier, I am not sure what his off season training consists of, but if Leafs lose him for any amount of time this year, this team will be in trouble.

He is the best faceoff man on the team with Mcclement, drawing the toughest assigments nightly, and is the team's best Center.

Don't think anyone will argue this now. Needs to stay healthy and prove he can play 82 games.

Do you mean Santorelli?

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
People hate him because they want Kadri to have his spot, but Kadri's game is still VERY flawed.

I don't know about that. While I think Kadri's a better possession player than Bozak, he is definitely not the #1 center we need. He's got the hands and vision, but his speed, strength, and shot are all well below what you want from an elite pivot. I don't think there are too many people who think swapping him and Bozak would make the team better, knowing it would unbalance the lines even further.

Personally I think most of the frustration with Bozak comes from the team's lack of success with him playing such a key role and the fact he was basically gifted that role, having ridden Kessel's coat-tails. The line has never been good defensively, and it seems like every year their offense goes up but their defense gets worse. He's sort of the poster boy for the team's awful possession play the past few years as it's always his line being hemmed in their own zone.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't know about that. While I think Kadri's a better possession player than Bozak, he is definitely not the #1 center we need. He's got the hands and vision, but his speed, strength, and shot are all well below what you want from an elite pivot. I don't think there are too many people who think swapping him and Bozak would make the team better, knowing it would unbalance the lines even further.

Personally I think most of the frustration with Bozak comes from the team's lack of success with him playing such a key role and the fact he was basically gifted that role, having ridden Kessel's coat-tails. The line has never been good defensively, and it seems like every year their offense goes up but their defense gets worse. He's sort of the poster boy for the team's awful possession play the past few years as it's always his line being hemmed in their own zone.

You can't claim he has been gifted playing with Kessel the past 2 seasons, with his production. Riding Kessel's coattails means, yes, better production, but bigger minus too. Ask JVR, does anyone complain about him riding Kessel's coattails for both stats?

The all familiar Poessession argument is a lark, corsi merely means you direct shots at a net. Look at the #2 line, how low their shooting % is, low production = low % chances/shots? Corsi says that direct a lot of pucks towards the net, yet score little and high GA per 60 stats.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
10 points in 9 games for ol' Bozie.

Scored at a 70 point pace last season. And has picked up right where he left off.

People who hate on the guy, I just don't know, easily our most reliable forward

arizona beamer*

I don't get the Bozak hate to be honest, he seems like one of the more credible/realistic/composed players on the team and in my opinion should have the C.

ALEXJD93

LOL
Dec 12, 2013

Scored at a 70 point pace last season. And has picked up right where he left off.

Tonight was his 12th career point away from Kessel. Lets see if he can continue to produce without him. Would be nice to see, I liked tonight's lines, felt a lot more balanced.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
You can't claim he has been gifted playing with Kessel the past 2 seasons, with his production. Riding Kessel's coattails means, yes, better production, but bigger minus too. Ask JVR, does anyone complain about him riding Kessel's coattails for both stats?

The all familiar Poessession argument is a lark, corsi merely means you direct shots at a net. Look at the #2 line, how low their shooting % is, low production = low % chances/shots? Corsi says that direct a lot of pucks towards the net, yet score little and high GA per 60 stats.

Your battle against corsi and advanced stats is a losing one, even someone like Mess appreciates advanced stats and he's used to referencing +/- as his favourite stat. Cmon

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

59 points in last 67 games his last 2 years. Easily over 50% on faceoffs again, all he does is produce. Best Center on the team, there is no argument.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I don't get the Bozak hate to be honest, he seems like one of the more credible/realistic/composed players on the team and in my opinion should have the C.

I don't get the hate either! :shakehead

The only thing I can think of that he's not a former 1st round draft pick that had a high profile name, and career, in the CHL. :dunno:

Sure, he's a 2nd line centre on our 1st line. I get that, however, he's also paid as a 2nd line centre. He wins faceoffs, he's somewhat decent as an occasional penalty killer, he's great on breakaways, he's money in the shootout, he's not bad defensively! :nod:

I just don't get the constant hate Bozak gets! I'd bet that the same guys that rag on him, would be the same ones wishing he were a Leafs player if he were a member of another team. :naughty:

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I wonder if it would pay off to keep JVR/Bozak away from Kessel. Those two looked like they could play a solid cycle game without him, but with Kessel its all up/down risky plays. Let Kessel do that with similar players like Kadri/Lupul.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I wonder if it would pay off to keep JVR/Bozak away from Kessel. Those two looked like they could play a solid cycle game without him, but with Kessel its all up/down risky plays. Let Kessel do that with similar players like Kadri/Lupul.

Kessel should be the center on one line.

Bozak should be the center on one line.

Bozak and Kessel are probably 2 of their smartest players, and it helps having someone at center who thinks the game well.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kessel should be the center on one line.

Bozak should be the center on one line.

Bozak and Kessel are probably 2 of their smartest players, and it helps having someone at center who thinks the game well.

I would reunite Lupul and Bozak.

Lupul had a career 67 points with Bozak as his center. He has struggled to produce without him since.

Seems like anyone that plays with Bozak doesn't slump.

Bozak, Lupul, JVR.

The Santa line was not as good without Clarkson, he's too valuable on the 3rd line. Put him back with Komarov and Santa.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Snapshot of Bozak

9 GP, 4G 6A 10 points. Even +-
Faceoff % 54.8

15th in NHL for scoring for Centers.
26th overall for all players

All this for a modest cap hit of 4.2M

What's there to critique?

Just picking off from last season.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I don't get the hate either! :shakehead

The only thing I can think of that he's not a former 1st round draft pick that had a high profile name, and career, in the CHL. :dunno:

Sure, he's a 2nd line centre on our 1st line. I get that, however, he's also paid as a 2nd line centre. He wins faceoffs, he's somewhat decent as an occasional penalty killer, he's great on breakaways, he's money in the shootout, he's not bad defensively! :nod:

I just don't get the constant hate Bozak gets! I'd bet that the same guys that rag on him, would be the same ones wishing he were a Leafs player if he were a member of another team. :naughty:

Contract wise I will take Bozak at 4.2 million over Weiss at 4.9 million every day of the week.
Problem is we don't have a no. 1 C and that is not Bozak's fault. For an undrafted player we have gotten everything out of him you could ask for. I would like to see him with Leivo again at some point. They showed chemistry in limited time.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
9 GP, 4G 6A 10 points. Even +-
Faceoff % 54.8

15th in NHL for scoring for Centers.
26th overall for all players

All this for a modest cap hit of 4.2M

What's there to critique?

Just picking off from last season.

Aim higher is all. He gets knocked off the puck easily, his two-way game is overrated IMO, never had more than 50pts - he'd make a fine #2 guy

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Aim higher is all. He gets knocked off the puck easily, his two-way game is overrated IMO, never had more than 50pts - he'd make a fine #2 guy

Agreed with the bolded.

Offensively, he's been improving. But his possession stats are actually quite bad. And then his offensive stats, once you consider TOI and linemates are still only decent, not great.

Todd White had 70+ points playing with Kovalchuk/Kozlov and 60 points playing with Alfie/Hossa, but whenever put in other situations couldn't crack 50. Same with Radek Bonk.

So where does Bozak fall? If he had ~50-60 point wingers, would he be able to produce ~50+ points the same way guys like Krejci, Plekanec, Stastny, etc have historically done? Or would he fall down to being a ~35-40 point player while having a relatively weak defensive game?

Hopefully he can stay healthy this season and actually break the 50 point barrier. If you're a legitimate top 6 centre, you should have NO problem breaking 50 points playing with Kessel/JVR. I would say that's almost the baseline you'd hit by default. He has been on pace for higher than that though, which is obviously what we're hoping to see.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Bozak is in his prime for sure. Good on the dot, faceoffs, good shot, speed, playmaker. Would be praised on a team who has a #1C.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Ya not sure how he attracts so much criticism when he was the one player plus Bernier on Vancouver "can't touch this" boards in the preseason.;)

He's just a solid player and teammate whatever line you think he should be on.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

On this team, he is our best 2 way player in the top 6. Plus he is the only center on the team over 50% in faceoffs. Again what is there to critique for a 4M cap hit? Can you think of anyone better?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
On this team, he is our best 2 way player in the top 6. Plus he is the only center on the team over 50% in faceoffs. Again what is there to critique for a 4M cap hit? Can you think of anyone better?

That's not saying much though.
If the team wants to compete, we can't have Bozak as our #1 C. His cap hit is fine, he's a fine player; but which contending team in the league would take Bozak over who they currently have?
We haven't had a #1 guy since Mats

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If the team wants to compete, we can't have Bozak as our #1 C. His cap hit is fine, he's a fine player; but which contending team in the league would take Bozak over who they currently have?

Yes, if they aren't tanking, they have to hope they can land a 1st. line center later in the draft or in a deal.

Pretty obvious by now who the current Leafs players are, and no they don't have that true, stud, 1st. line center unless it is Nylander.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

That's a different topic all together, you could say we need a #1D, #1Winger, #1 Goalie also if we are going to contend for a cup.

Fact is, Bozak has become a fine player, he is doing more than his contract demands to help this team. One can argue he has been consistently our best player this year.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
My view is that fans look at Bozak and then think about his deficiencies and how many points he could get without Kessel and compare it to what they think Kadri might produce. What I think is overlooked (a bit) is Kessels deficiencies and how they affect Bozak and JVR.

Regardless of Kessel's abilities and talent (I believe he's an elite player), he puts that line (or any line he is on unless he changes his style of play) at a disadvantage and JVR and Bozak have always just simply compensated for his one dimensional play. It's like when you don't have the puck you are playing 2 forwards rather than 3. I know people like to believe at times Kessel is or can be defensive, but, I don't agree at all. Of course, the line can still be a huge offensive threat but I don't think opposition lines fear the Kessel line because they are an offensive threat but probably relish playing against a soft line that lacks one back checker and know if they cut off the rush game they are a very easy line to play against; opposing coaches can put their most tenacious checking line up against them and they probably look forward to the challenge.

Since, basically, forever, or since Bozak and Kessel have pretty much ALWAYS been together, I think it's hard to really fairly say or compare Bozak and Kadri or Bozak and any centre until we see what happens when Kessel is with some other forwards for enough time that we can see what happens and also we can see how Bozak does with other players as well.

I saw Kessel do some things with Kadri (some passes) that I don't think he makes with Bozak. I saw Bozak and JVR (when without Kessel and with Clarkson) starting to think about playing differently as well. Albeit only one game. Geez, a little bit easier getting out of your own zone when there are 3 forwards actually doing something to try to get control back.

But, just saying, Kessel and Bozak have been together for so long that it's UNBELIEVABLE to me, that RC hasn't changed it up. I'm actually suspicious that it was a directive from above, and don't know if it was a direct sort of directive or more subtle as in, (ah, these are your players) so, maybe you can TRY some different combinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad