Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I admitted it, Price was a bargain.

Good job arguing with ghosts, Casper.

It was pretty funny watching you speak confidently about the cap (and not knowing the concept of insurance) and being so blatantly wrong though.

I guess we can make this even a littler funnier by letting you know that the Habs were regularly well below the cap during Price's healthy years in that contract.

Last edited:

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Can someone explain to me why or how the Bruins get penalized if Swayman doesn't sign?

I read that if Swayman sits out the first 1/4 of the season and signs for $8m then he only actually takes home $6m, but somehow the Bruins are charged $10m? How's that work?
Swayman gets his full contract amount, but it gets paid out over a smaller amount of games, thus increasing the pro-rated AAV that year.

If I'm not mistaken.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Swayman gets his full contract amount, but it gets paid out over a smaller amount of games, thus increasing the pro-rated AAV that year.

If I'm not mistaken.
No, he does not get his full amount. He loses 1/192nd for every day he sits out. On an $8m contract that's about $6k per day.

For some reason unknown to me, the Bruins are penalized 6x that number against the cap. So if Swayman signs for $8m after sitting out 1 day, he loses $6k and the Bruins are charged with an extra $36k against the cap for this season.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
That is what you get when you pick arbitration.

Except that it seems like the Bruins just have a ruined relationship with the player now. Seems like he took it extremely personal but I do agree that he should have seen it coming when it was headed there. With that said, I don't know what the hell Boston was thinking shipping off Ullmark if your own guy was that disgruntled and unsigned. For such a first-rate organization, seems like such a stupid and self-inflicted fumble.

Reactions: ultra63

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Ullmark had to get moved in order to free up cap space for Swayman’s new contract…Had Swayman not filed for arbitration last summer and instead opted for a bridge deal - Ullmark could have finished playing his contract with the Bruins.
Here the Bruins made their worst mistake. They didn‘t choose a two year deal in arbitration although they knew the agent and knew what they had said about Swayman in the arbitration.
They had to deal Ullmark before he could change his no trade list…and crapped their bed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad