Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I admitted it, Price was a bargain.

Good job arguing with ghosts, Casper.

It was pretty funny watching you speak confidently about the cap (and not knowing the concept of insurance) and being so blatantly wrong though.

I guess we can make this even a littler funnier by letting you know that the Habs were regularly well below the cap during Price's healthy years in that contract.

Last edited:

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Can someone explain to me why or how the Bruins get penalized if Swayman doesn't sign?

I read that if Swayman sits out the first 1/4 of the season and signs for $8m then he only actually takes home $6m, but somehow the Bruins are charged $10m? How's that work?
Swayman gets his full contract amount, but it gets paid out over a smaller amount of games, thus increasing the pro-rated AAV that year.

If I'm not mistaken.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Swayman gets his full contract amount, but it gets paid out over a smaller amount of games, thus increasing the pro-rated AAV that year.

If I'm not mistaken.
No, he does not get his full amount. He loses 1/192nd for every day he sits out. On an $8m contract that's about $6k per day.

For some reason unknown to me, the Bruins are penalized 6x that number against the cap. So if Swayman signs for $8m after sitting out 1 day, he loses $6k and the Bruins are charged with an extra $36k against the cap for this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad