Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
He hasn't even played a full season as a starter, I understand wanting to be paid but it comes to a point that you need to prove over a full season you're worth that much.

I'm sorry but Swayman is in the wrong here, never won a Venzia or a Cup has been sheltered behind Ullmark until this season.
Yeah but thats not to his own fault. If he had a choice, I'm sure he would have liked to prove that the last season but Bruins elected to once again go with the tandem. Now its his first real chance to prove it and Bruins put themselves in an awful position. Bruins want their cake and to eat it too. They dont want to pay him full on starter money (seems like they do now though) but now obviously expect him to be their full time starter going forward.

Swayman is clearly very jaded to how the management has handled him and his contract situations these past 2 years.

Reactions: um

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Good lord now he's crying about stuff said in arbitration (that he wanted) two years ago.

He needs to go, and soon. That or rot without a contract for 2 years with the Bruins org publicly cutting all ties to him.

Enough is enough.
I mean the Bruins can do that, but these feelings towards arbitration are becoming increasingly common for players. Friedman discussed it on his podcast a few episodes ago if I remember correctly

Teams need to realize destroying your core player's trust to get 500k cheaper for 1 season isn't the win they think it is

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
This will likely become a case study for teams on how to handle arbitration; don't play hardball for one season of cap relief, alienating your player. It might come back to bite you long-term
Or, it's a warning to agents to properly prepare their clients for what an arbitration hearing looks like, and to recognize that the team is going to try to make their case for less money, and it's business.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I mean the Bruins can do that, but these feelings towards arbitration are becoming increasingly common for players. Friedman discussed it on his podcast a few episodes ago if I remember correctly

Teams need to realize destroying your core player's trust to get 500k cheaper for 1 season isn't the win they think it is
It is extremely common for a player that goes to arbitration to be out of that team within the next few years. It rarely goes well.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010

Under Jeremy jacobs it seems like that’s what always happens is they really don’t look down the line. Oates publicly voiced his dismay about Boston not doing enough to replace Neely to compete, they stripped Oates of the captaincy and shipped him off without blinking an eye. Traded their rookie of the year Raycroft when raycroft was below average his second season. Traded kessel, sequin and Thornton all young star players without much pause. Under jacobs it seems shoot first, ask questions later.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
Yeah but thats not to his own fault. If he had a choice, I'm sure he would have liked to prove that the last season but Bruins elected to once again go with the tandem. Now its his first real chance to prove it and Bruins put themselves in an awful position. Bruins want their cake and to eat it too. They dont want to pay him full on starter money (seems like they do now though) but now obviously expect him to be their full time starter going forward.

Swayman is clearly very jaded to how the management has handled him and his contract situations these past 2 years.
He shouldn't be paid full time starter money because he hasn't earned it, if you want to be paid like Vassi, Saros, Shersterkin you should have a track record of consistency to back that up. He doesn't and he should have to prove himself before getting that money.

Also I know I'm a Sens fan but I've always respected the bruins and how they run there team, just a classy organization if I could have the Sens model themselves after one team it would be Boston.

• Haha
Reactions: Nikki Potnick

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
He shouldn't be paid full time starter money because he hasn't earned it, if you want to be paid like Vassi, Saros, Shersterkin you should have a track record of consistency to back that up. He doesn't and he should have to prove himself before getting that money.

Also I know I'm a Sens fan but I've always respected the bruins and how they run there team, just a classy organization if I could have the Sens model themselves after one team it would be Boston.
Then they should give him a 1-2 year deal to let him prove that and then have fun paying him when the cap spikes a bunch and its all UFA years 👍

Score08

Apr 6, 2017
When the Bruins replacement level goalies start losing games will the fans hate Swayman more or less? I’m thinking the fans will direct their anger towards Neely and Sweeny for losing the club’s most important player.
This bruins fan will be pissed at swayman for turning down a reasonable contract and putting himself before the team.

CheerstoBeers

Jan 28, 2008

Pepperidge farms remembers and so does Swayman.

Looks like the Bruins pissed him off last year.
Bruins also opted to take a one year term instead of two in what could only be a sign of good faith. Swayman could be playing this season on a 3.4 million contract and instead the Bruins opted to negotiate with him and pay him as their starter. Time to move on from the hard feelings, Bruins obviously want him as their starter and have faith he can be but yikes, talk about holding a grudge.

Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Alot of athletes in alot of sports feel entitled now a days.
Yup, it’s the gen Z. I came across an article the other day how hiring managers of companies are flat out avoiding gen z to fill jobs. Hiring managers think this younger generation are easily offended, doesn’t respond well to feedback, and lacks work ethic and motivation. This applies to a lot of nhlers.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Under Jeremy jacobs it seems like that’s what always happens is they really don’t look down the line. Oates publicly voiced his dismay about Boston not doing enough to replace Neely to compete, they stripped Oates of the captaincy and shipped him off without blinking an eye. Traded their rookie of the year Raycroft when raycroft was below average his second season. Traded kessel, sequin and Thornton all young star players without much pause. Under jacobs it seems shoot first, ask questions later.

I think you have to separate out pre and post cap behavior. The Bruins were brutally miserly in the pre-cap days. They took Ray Bourque to arbitration after he had multiple Norris’ and was a Hart finalist. Post Cap it’s been more about “we only really have X slots to pay stars, is this the right star?”…and yes in that case if the answer was “no”, it has been shoot first and ask questions later. Guys like Pasta and McAvoy they have clearly paid. They want to pay Swayman, too, but if he wants to reset the goalie market to 10 years ago levels, well, we will see. Hope it works out.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Or, it's a warning to agents to properly prepare their clients for what an arbitration hearing looks like, and to recognize that the team is going to try to make their case for less money, and it's business.
If someone is important enough that you are willing to pay them 64 million, than maybe they're important enough to manage that relationship correctly.

It's business goes both ways.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I think you have to separate out pre and post cap behavior. The Bruins were brutally miserly in the pre-cap days. They took Ray Bourque to arbitration after he had multiple Norris’ and was a Hart finalist. Post Cap it’s been more about “we only really have X slots to pay stars, is this the right star?”…and yes in that case if the answer was “no”, it has been shoot first and ask questions later. Guys like Pasta and McAvoy they have clearly paid. They want to pay Swayman, too, but if he wants to reset the goalie market to 10 years ago levels, well, we will see. Hope it works out.
yes should be interesting

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Sway is taking everything way too personally. Trying to milk a team out of spite doesn’t sound like a player who wants to remain with that team. Everything points to him wanting out without him actually saying it.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005

It's no one's fault that he hasn't proven himself as a dependable starter, he just hasn't because the Bruins had 2 solid goalies. He's 25. Not many goalies take over starting duties before that age. Rask was 25 when he took over from Thomas.

Apparently the Bruins have offered 7.8 million a year. If you don't think that's full on starter money, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
It's no one's fault that he hasn't proven himself as a dependable starter, he just hasn't because the Bruins had 2 solid goalies. He's 25. Not many goalies take over starting duties before that age. Rask was 25 when he took over from Thomas.

Apparently the Bruins have offered 7.8 million a year. If you don't think that's full on starter money, I'm not sure what to tell you.
Did you ignore the part where i said (sounds like they have now though)?

They obviously werent offering him starter money to begin with but they've clearly moved off on that by now. But still seems like the damage has been done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad