Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Claiming Patera today was a very tactical move by the Bruins. He’s a product of Cassidy’s system in Vegas and played it well when called upon.

They’re setting up NOT to have Swayman around. You’d assume they’d get a goalie back in a trade but having Patera allows them not to panic into a deal. It’s probably the smartest move Boston has made in this entire saga.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
The heat really gets turned up once games start getting played especially with the prorated cap hit that would come with it. Bruins currently only have 8.5m in cap space, and are already reportingly offering near 8m. It wont take long for that prorated first year cap hit to hit that 8.5m number. For reference, Nylander holding out as long as he could ended up with a cap hit of 10.2m the first year, and 6.9m the rest of the years.

Score08

Apr 6, 2017
Swayman and his agent aren't dumb enough to fall for this.

It's one thing to say "it's a tandem" but when the playoffs come along and the games really matter, Swayman plays all the games.
6&6 in the po is not an 80m $ player

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
6&6 in the po is not an 80m $ player

I watched Boston in the playoffs last year, he was their MVP.

They averaged less than 2.5 goals for per game which was the worst of all the teams that made it out of the first round.

Meanwhile, their GAA was 3rd in the league.

You can't try to pretend that it's a tandem when you relied upon him so much in the post-season last year.

I get why Boston doesn't want to pay him huge bucks. But they will have to pay him like a starter.

Reactions: Score08

Score08

Apr 6, 2017
I watched Boston in the playoffs last year, he was their MVP.

They averaged less than 2.5 goals for per game which was the worst of all the teams that made it out of the first round.

Meanwhile, their GAA was 3rd in the league.

You can't try to pretend that it's a tandem when you relied upon him so much in the post-season last year.

I get why Boston doesn't want to pay him huge bucks. But they will have to pay him like a starter.
They can pay him like a starter when he is the starter. If you want to paid like the man, you have to be the man. He hasnt stepped up yet.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
They can pay him like a starter when he is the starter. If you want to paid like the man, you have to be the man. He hasnt stepped up yet.

Bridge seems to be the obvious move.

I had actually assumed that it was both Boston and Swayman pushing for the long contract, with both sides originally thinking that they could take advantage of his performance last year.

Neely: "If we offer a long contract, we can get a bargain on those later years when he's playing like the star goalie we know he is."

Swayman: "I just proved to them that I'm the starter. They've traded Ulmark so clearly they're willing to pay me long-term for the position they've given me."

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
There’s nothing to argue. One guy won a lot more when it mattered. Nevermind it being a different market then. It’s ten plus years ago it wasn’t last week

You mean like the 2010 playoffs when a Rask backstopped team was up 3-0 in a series against Philly only to have it go 7 games....where they were up 3-0 in game 7 but eventually lost game 7 to PHI by a score of 4-3?

Do you want to have a serious conversation or not?

Yes, that's why I asked what starter numbers were. I gave you a chance to give me a serious evaluation of what you felt like were starter numbers. Instead you just said "more than 44"

Reactions: nashnaidoo

Score08

Apr 6, 2017
Bridge seems to be the obvious move.

I had actually assumed that it was both Boston and Swayman pushing for the long contract, with both sides originally thinking that they could take advantage of his performance last year.

Neely: "If we offer a long contract, we can get a bargain on those later years when he's playing like the star goalie we know he is."

Swayman: "I just proved to them that I'm the starter. They've traded Ulmark so clearly they're willing to pay me long-term for the position they've given me."
Bridge seems to be the only option left to salvage whatever relationship is left here. I don’t believe in paying players for their past performances but I’m also sitting at a bar right now and not in an NHL team board room so I’ll admit my expertise is nonexistent.

Score08

Apr 6, 2017
You mean like the 2010 playoffs when a Rask backstopped team was up 3-0 in a series against Philly only to have it go 7 games....where they were up 3-0 in game 7 but eventually lost game 7 to PHI by a score of 4-3?

Yes, that's why I asked what starter numbers were. I gave you a chance to give me a serious evaluation of what you felt like were starter numbers. Instead you just said "more than 44"
Swayman was 25th in the league at 44, Saros was first at 64. Bare minimum games played should be at least 55 to justify his demands. Ideally I’d like to see him do it at least once, preferably 2-3 times before I’m comfortable with the bruins tying up that kind of dough in one guy .

Reactions: petrobruin

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Swayman was 25th in the league at 44, Saros was first at 64. Bare minimum games played should be at least 55 to justify his demands. Ideally I’d like to see him do it at least once, preferably 2-3 times before I’m comfortable with the bruins tying up that kind of dough in one guy .

Ok so 55 games is that threshold of being considered a starter. Fair enough. Interestingly Swayman started 55 games this season between the regular season and playoffs. I think we'd agree that he was an absolute moster in the playoffs. With that said is there really a concern of him not being to handle a 55 game workload? It's roughly 2 extra games a month during the season.

Using the same 55 game min you mentioned (again fair number) I was curious how many goalies over the last 3 seasons averaged 55+ games. These would be guys that we could call true starters based on our definition

Saros
Hellebuyck
Vasilevskiy
Markstrom
Sarokin
Shesterkin

It's crazy how few true starters there are in the NHL.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Ok so 55 games is that threshold of being considered a starter. Fair enough. Interestingly Swayman started 55 games this season between the regular season and playoffs. I think we'd agree that he was an absolute moster in the playoffs. With that said is there really a concern of him not being to handle a 55 game workload? It's roughly 2 extra games a month during the season.

Using the same 55 game min you mentioned (again fair number) I was curious how many goalies over the last 3 seasons averaged 55+ games. These would be guys that we could call true starters based on our definition

Saros
Hellebuyck
Vasilevskiy
Markstrom
Sarokin
Shesterkin

There are probably some guys you could include that only don't meet that average due to injuries. Hard to tell exactly, but Oettinger seems to be one since he has some elongated gaps in his games played in a couple years.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Saros
Hellebuyck
Vasilevskiy
Markstrom
Sarokin
Shesterkin

I mean yeah that’s why most goalies make 5-6 million.

Obviously, there is projecting going on on both sides. Because he is obviously good.

But agreeing on that projection is hard. Which is why I always assumed it would be a 4 year deal inline with what Saros and Helly got at this stage.

Swayman can pound sand at 9. There is no reasonable argument for why he gets more than Sorokin.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I mean yeah that’s why most goalies make 5-6 million.

Obviously, there is projecting going on on both sides. Because he is obviously good.

But agreeing on that projection is hard. Which is why I always assumed it would be a 4 year deal inline with what Saros and Helly got at this stage.

Swayman can pound sand at 9. There is no reasonable argument for why he gets more than Sorokin.

At the end of the day it's how much risk does either side want to take. For the Bruins if you make him prove himself and he does, then you'll play more in the long run. If he doesn't then you're not locked in for 8yrs. It comes down to how confident that Swayman will turn into the elite goalie he's trending towards.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Feels like a $64m deal doesn’t get this done. Once he signs, nobody is going to go back and explain what happened in negotiations. If he signs an 8x8 he looks bad. Implying it may have been on the table and Neely is in the right. He can’t take lower of course. So something around $8.5-9m makes sense (from the players perspective, not suggesting he is worth it). Bruins should not have made a public statement.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
There are probably some guys you could include that only don't meet that average due to injuries. Hard to tell exactly, but Oettinger seems to be one since he has some elongated gaps in his games played in a couple years.

Then you start getting into a grey area and where does that grey area end?

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

Kinda. That was the year before though. He was on a bridge deal for those years. I think. I forget. A few mil maybe.

He had still won more. And it wasn’t all that recent. Might as well go back to the 70s at this point. When guys were paid with beers and pub food

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad