Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Guys. It’s ok.
Swayman’s a business man. He’s gotta know this is the way the business works

Both sides have gone on media tours now.

Not sure why Swayman’s so butt hurt right now. Guy went out and did the same thing earlier in the summer.

If someone in this process is butthurt it is not Swaymans camp... It's Bruins management looking unprofessional and like they are being bent over and have no idea how to PR their way out of everyone seeing that

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
This is what is lost in all this. Bruins last year used their leverage and squeezed Swayman, went through arbitration and tore him apart to get the smallest cap hit instead of just paying him something way cheaper than he is asking for this year. Then they just said don't take it personally just business.

So now Swayman has the leverage and is tearing the Bruins apart in the media and squeezing them for more and management suddenly forgets it is just a business when it is done back to them.

I hope Sway get 10M
It was Swayman who took the Bruins to arbitration, not the other way around

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Fans when teams are shrewd with players: Well, it’s just business, shouldn’t be any hard feelings.

Fans when players are equally business-like in their negotiations with the team: *shocked pikachu face*
1727791902634.jpeg

Reactions: tsujimoto74

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
True, both sides look bad, but you expect a player to believe in himself and be a little unreasonable in his ask and talking. You dont see organizations making clowns of themselves like Sweeney and Neely are currently. It’s as bad as Kevin Lowe’s ‘ i know a thing or two about winning” conference or MacTavish talking about tier 1 and tier 2 fans and all that was embarrassing.
I believe the Bruins have been fortunate that some of their best players have been on team friendly deals and more or less had similar expectations with Swayman.

Reactions: BLONG7

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
So the Bruins offered 62.5M and Swayman wants 68M? Thats way closer than I thought. They could easily meet in the middle there.

This makes Neely and Bruins look even dumber for what they did yesterday :laugh:

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Look Up

I won't ruin the market for Audis
Oct 3, 2013
Interesting, wonder what that means. I feel a divorce I mean trade comming. The trade market will be underwelming. I think you be lucky to get a goalie and a 1st back, something like chariot, husso and a top 10 protected 1st to even salaries from detroit
Not only that, how many teams are looking for a high maintenance player (and agent) who has no problem challenging management and using the media to further his cause.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Neely just very publicly offered 64 million.if this isn’t done over the next few day then either Neely was lying or Swaman wants north of 75.

It is not about the money. If that was on the table, formally offer it don't throw it out there in the media and make Swayman look weak by accepting it. There is a level of respect needed in negotiations. That was unprofessional and not in good faith.

If that was ACTUALLY offered, the proper way to handle that is to say the right things in the presser and then leak to a reputable guy like Friedman they have offered 8x8. That is what the Leafs did with Marner and he signed before camp closed a few days after that.

Right now, they basically threw Swayman under the bus and if he accepts 8x8 will take a lot of bad PR looking like he folded. It's about pride and respect now.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
I believe the Bruins have been fortunate that some of their best players have been on team friendly deals and more or less had similar expectations with Swayman.

Swayman, as a goalie, is in a similar spot as guys like Stützle, Sanderson, J.Hughes, etc, were when they signed their deals.

He's a young player who everyone thinks is going to be really good, but he hasn't done it for very long yet.

Those guys all took less AAV than they could have gotten had they waited and played another season or two at a high-level, but they wanted security earlier to hedge against the possibility that they wouldn't play at as high a level.

I think the Bruins had the expectation that he'd be signed to a contract like those players, so an 7/8-year deal at $7.5-8M per year.

But it seems like Swayman wants to be paid as if he's already a multiple Vezina winner...

Reactions: FMichael

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
It is not about the money. If that was on the table, formally offer it don't throw it out there in the media and make Swayman look weak by accepting it. There is a level of respect needed in negotiations. That was unprofessional and not in good faith.

If that was ACTUALLY offered, the proper way to handle that is to say the right things in the presser and then leak to a reputable guy like Friedman they have offered 8x8. That is what the Leafs did with Marner and he signed before camp closed a few days after that.

Right now, they basically threw Swayman under the bus and if he accepts 8x8 will take a lot of bad PR looking like he folded. It's about pride and respect now.

I think that Swayman and his camp talking to the Spittin Chicklets boys is why the Bruins have started to make their side public...

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Neely just very publicly offered 64 million.if this isn’t done over the next few day then either Neely was lying or Swaman wants north of 75.
Publicly doesn't necessarily mean it was ever an offer put on paper. It would be weird not to though. And you would think that if 64M was enough and it hadn't been offered, the first move by Swayman's agent would have been to call up the B's and say, "hey, we'll take that $64M". It seems obvious he is asking for more than that. What an odd situation. I don't blame him for wanting to be paid, but I also don't blame the B's for wanting to be cautious here. There are a lot of "what if's" with goalies - injuries can take a goalie from being top end, to average at best, so I understand if they are leery about a huge contract for 8 years.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Swayman, as a goalie, is in a similar spot as guys like Stützle, Sanderson, J.Hughes, etc, were when they signed their deals.

He's a young player who everyone thinks is going to be really good, but he hasn't done it for very long yet.

Those guys all took less AAV than they could have gotten had they waited and played another season or two at a high-level, but they wanted security earlier to hedge against the possibility that they wouldn't play at as high a level.

I think the Bruins had the expectation that he'd be signed to a contract like those players, so an 7/8-year deal at $7.5-8M per year.

But it seems like Swayman wants to be paid as if he's already a multiple Vezina winner...
Yup - if only Swayman was a Maple Leaf and Dubas was his GM…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad