Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Leafs can let Marner walk because they have Matthews and Nylander. Bruins can let Sway walk because of... Korpi? Bahahaha. I wonder if Sweeney could say that with a straight face to Sway's camp
Sway's camp needs to be worried about income this year. Sure, let Marner walk.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Nah. Korpi will be fine and now we have $8 million in space. Think positive. Its not like he is a UFA already making $11 looking for a raise in his walk year.
Sure... Korpi's fine, but what about a backup, or if he gets hurt? The two other currently signed goalies have a combined 3 NHL games experience.

you need to do a better job at hiding the bad part of your offer
I don't disagree with you, but you've got to make the cap fit somehow...

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
With no trade protection, I'd send him to any team that pays the most and watch him not be worth whatever contract he signs...

Reactions: Score08

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Sure... Korpi's fine, but what about a backup, or if he gets hurt? The two other currently signed goalies have a combined 3 NHL games experience.
Bussi was supposed to be the backup and was supposedly NHL ready and can be lost to waivers. They will start with him. I dont think he is that good. They have $8million of cap space now to bank to get reinforcement if they need. They might have already crossed a bridge and might need a divorce.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
All those other players were established elite goalies. Swayman is not. Not yet. Period. 7m x 2 year would make sense and carry him to UFA. If he doesn’t want to sign an 8x8, Id let him sit at home too.
Swayman would likely sign 7 mil x two years. It’s the UFA years that (imo) are keeping the two sides so far apart. The more UFA years the Bruins want to buy the more the AAV will go up. If it’s 8 years then the total is going up to 72 and likely more like 80.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
Bussi was supposed to be the backup and was supposedly NHL ready and can be lost to waivers. They will start with him. I dont think he is that good. They have $8million of cap space now to bank to get reinforcement if they need. They might have already crossed a bridge and might need a divorce.

Bussi's been ass in preseason. Makes me all that less confident in him as a backup option.

Reactions: Leafshater67

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Swayman would likely sign 7 mil x two years. It’s the UFA years that (imo) are keeping the two sides so far apart. The more UFA years the Bruins want to buy the more the AAV will go up. If it’s 8 years then the total is going up to 72 and likely more like 80.
Why would the Bruins agree to 7x2?

Reactions: TD Charlie

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Marner for Swayman straight up
I'm not a Marner fan, but I wouldn't do this for a few reasons. Boston plays great D, and I thought otherwise, Swayman was beatable (leaf playoff series). I wouldn't pay him 8x8 without more evidence he is elite. Also, I think Woll is a stud and we dont need a goalie.

Score08

Apr 6, 2017
With no trade protection, I'd send him to any team that pays the most and watch him not be worth whatever contract he signs...
This!!
Sway in danger of overplaying his hand. I wouldn’t go so far as to call him a system goalie, but his numbers most definitely look much better playing behind that teams defense. I can easily see him going to a less defensive structured team and getting absolutely shelled, killing his supposed value in the process. He’ll realize it soon enough and sign with the bruins.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
They should have done a better job feeling him out before they traded Ullmark. Now they’re stuck. They need to compete with the age of their roster. They’ll likely have to pony up.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
They should have done a better job feeling him out before they traded Ullmark. Now they’re stuck. They need to compete with the age of their roster. They’ll likely have to pony up.
What is the age of the roster and why does that make them need to compete more?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Bussi has zero NHL games under his belt. That's tough if Korpi goes down, given that goalies can be voodoo. Martin Jones is still a UFA, and while not spectacular, is cheap and could be a better back up and stop gap.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Bussi has zero NHL games under his belt. That's tough if Korpi goes down, given that goalies can be voodoo. Martin Jones is still a UFA, and while not spectacular, is cheap and could be a better back up and stop gap.
Swayman once had zero games under his belt. We can afford to see how things progress before hitting the Martin Jones button.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
That’s not how the bruins operate, that’s not how any successful teams operate.
Panthers just went to a final and followed with the Cup. They pay goalie Bob (a key in both those playoffs) 10 per. I’d say they’re quite successful because they pay their goalie.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
If they don’t think he’s worth 10m which nobody does, it’s a good chance to prove he can hack it as a starter. It seems their relationship is awful so it kicks the can down the road a bit.
After 2 years he is a UFA and walks for free. It would be like Marner, except they gave Marner a NMC on top

Zero chance Swayman signs away six UFA years for that little. 8 for the first two years and then 11 for the next six. So about 80-84 mil total over eight years seems the fair amount.
You are sniffing glue. Show one objective comparison to back this up.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Zero chance Swayman signs away six UFA years for that little. 8 for the first two years and then 11 for the next six. So about 80-84 mil total over eight years seems the fair amount.

He is not a 10M goalie, how many times can that be said? 44 games started is the most he has. No major trophies either. He can sit if he can’t accept a fair offer 8x8.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
True, but the rewards for the Bruins of Sway playing better than a 9 mil goalie aren't nearly as beneficial as the risks of Swayman suddenly becoming, say a 3-4 million dollar goalie, which is to say someone who's not a starter. You see it happen way more that goalies don't live up to their contracts than you do goalies that do. Martin Jones, Matt Murray, Lehner, Campbell, Cal Peterson etc. How many actually do live up to their contracts? Vasi?

Frankly, UNLESS you're playing like one of the 3-4 best goalies in the world, there's not a huge difference between beyond that and the 20th. If I'm a GM, I'm absolutely not digging that kind of hole unless I can say with absolutely no uncertainty that that's who they are. I don't think any of us can say that about Swayman yet.

Forsure... for the record, if i was a GM, paying a goalie #1 money is very close to the bottom of the list of things I'd want to do.

Vasilevsky was an unremarkable 2.90 / .900 in 52 games this year. Bobrovsky was $10m in dead weight his first 2 yearsi n Florida.

However, there are a subsect of GMs that either believe it's the right thing to do, or do it out of "fear of the unknown", and for a GM in that position, you really can't ask for a better goalie to do an 8-year deal with than Jeremy Swayman.

25 years old. 3 years of full tandem experience. Call me crazy, but I'd much rather have Swayman at $9m x 8 today, then Shesterkin at $11.5m x 8 next year.

That being said, full disclosure, I'm a Leaf fan, and from an overall roster construction standpoint, think we're better off with quartet of Woll, Stolarz, Murray and Hildeby at a combined $3.3m on the cap this year, and $6.1m next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad