Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I doubt the Bruins even wanna pay that much. I'd say Swayman is at 8.5 and knowing the Bruins they're at 6. I'd say this gets settled somewhere close to 7 when it's all said and done.

Maybe on a 1 year deal..

I cant see the agent giving up essentially 24ish million in real dollars if they drop their ask by 3 mil a year

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
listen if the game plan is to pray that korpisolo is significantly better this season then its a bad bet

I wouldn't be surprised - at all - if Korpisalo played very well for the Bruins an added pressure to the Swayman camp.

I understand he was absolutely terrible for Ottawa but I think he will perform quite well for the Bruins and I think the management group isn't terribly concerned about starting the season without Swayman.

That being said, I think Swayman will be under contract before camp ends.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
The B's likely expect him to take a discount to ensure a competitive team in front of him for years to come. I think Swayman will take a discount to be fair. They will have something done before the season starts.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Surprised this has gone on this long.................GM and player are to blame equally.
Bruins quick out the gate, Swayman loses leverage............Bruins lose out the gate, and Swayman gains leverage.......

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The B's likely expect him to take a discount to ensure a competitive team in front of him for years to come. I think Swayman will take a discount to be fair. They will have something done before the season starts.

For a long time under Harry Sinden, Mike O'Connell and now Don Sweeney, taking a team friendly was the way it was done in Boston... if you wanted to stay in Boston.

The Bruins established that track record the hard way by not hesitating to move off guys for various reasons. Trading contract malcontents like Jason Allison, Anson Carter out, letting guys like Bill Guerin walk, walking away from the Dimitri Khristich arbitration case, trading Joe Thornton to clear the deck culturally and cap-wise, trading Phil Kessel with pressure of an offer sheet, or just straight up trading up and coming young stars like Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton.

It will be interesting to see if they can take those hardline tactics into this Swayman case, or if the team ends up compromising first.

Sweeney seemed to take things a little personally in the latest presser.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
For a long time under Harry Sinden, Mike O'Connell and now Don Sweeney, taking a team friendly was the way it was done in Boston... if you wanted to stay in Boston.

The Bruins established that track record the hard way by not hesitating to move off guys for various reasons. Trading contract malcontents like Jason Allison, Anson Carter out, letting guys like Bill Guerin walk, walking away from the Dimitri Khristich arbitration case, trading Joe Thornton to clear the deck culturally and cap-wise, trading Phil Kessel with pressure of an offer sheet, or just straight up trading up and coming young stars like Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton.
I'm impressed - as a non-Bruin fan you have a very good perspective on how the Bruins have done things over the years. It doesn't always work and like all Bruin fans I wish it led to more Stanley Cup winning teams but for better or worse that is the Bruins way of doing things. :thumbu:

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
What would a discount look like in your opinion?

Look Up

Let me tell you about my Celica again
Oct 3, 2013

It will be interesting to see if they can take those hardline tactics into this Swayman case, or if the team ends up compromising first.

Damn, you are making too much sense with this post.

Swayman thinks he has Sweeney by the nads, but he may soon find out he overplayed his hand and lost out on a chance to have a long career with an O6 franchise.

Reactions: StrBender

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
What would a discount look like in your opinion?
Don't know however the B's are going to wan to exploit the whole Hug, equality teamates, we are all one in the same attitude of the previous two years and attempt to pull on those strings again. I am not at all in a position to guess what he may get or what a discount would be. I bet he signs a Bruin friendly deal in some way shape or form.

Spargon

May 31, 2019

Wouldn't be surprised if the negotiations are a bit contentious. Didn't Boston file for arbitration over 500k difference last year? I bet Swayman isn't having that kind of hard line again and Boston probably annoyed he won't take a discount to stay in the best franchise to win nothing in the last 15 years.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Wouldn't be surprised if the negotiations are a bit contentious. Didn't Boston file for arbitration over 500k difference last year? I bet Swayman isn't having that kind of hard line again and Boston probably annoyed he won't take a discount to stay in the best franchise to win nothing in the last 15 years.

Swayman filed for arbitration.

Maybe on a 1 year deal..

I cant see the agent giving up essentially 24ish million in real dollars if they drop their ask by 3 mil a year

List your comps. RFA, one top 10 Vezina finish.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Swayman filed for arbitration.

List your comps. RFA, one top 10 Vezina finish.

It's just wishful thinking by Leafs fans. Don't get me wrong, I hate you guys with a passion hehe, but I also don't think Swayman should get the deal he wants. Sweeney needs to stay firm. I am sure Bruins can figure something out without Swayman and they will be just fine. With that said, I hope you guys crash and burn :sarcasm::D

TorontLoL 67

Ekwensu Ocha
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Central Vermont
2011 was 15 years ago? Weird

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Swayman did allude to a tough arbitration last summer with Boston and how it was an eye opener about the business. Not sure if feelings were simply hurt or if Sweeney doesn't play nice.

I just think back to the Boston Bruins history with Harry Sinden. Even as recent as the late 90s and early 2000s they had no qualms with walking away from Dimitri Khristich, think they dumped Jason Allison over a contract stalemate, think Bryan Smolinski and Glen Wesley were tough negotiations, Wesley signed an offer sheet with Hartford. Bruins organization just plays hard ball. I'm sure Don Sweeney and Cam Neely learned a thing or two.

Most players dont like arbitration because its basically the team telling you how much you suck and why they dont need to pay you a lot of money.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
It's just wishful thinking by Leafs fans. Don't get me wrong, I hate you guys with a passion hehe, but I also don't think Swayman should get the deal he wants. Sweeney needs to stay firm. I am sure Bruins can figure something out without Swayman and they will be just fine. With that said, I hope you guys crash and burn :sarcasm::D

Felt the same way with Nylander, lol

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Instinctively I put this on Swayman. Can't see Sweeney trading Ullmark without the basis of a deal worked out. Pure speculation of course but wondering if Sway backed off and asked for $2M more once he thought he had more leverage.

Anyways, I'm fine if they let him sit out or trade him. Bruins never cede to hardball tactics. Be a bad precedent going forward.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Weird how people are looking for someone to blame when it's just a difficult contract negotiation lol. Sometimes things don't go easy. It's the nature of contracts. There's not even anything to be at fault for at the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad