Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Demon Eyes

Nov 29, 2014
Swayman should just sign a 2 year contract. prove himself and then set some new standard then. Bobrovsky will become a ufa at the same time. Florida might be looking for a new 10+ million dollar goalie then.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Swayman should just sign a 2 year contract. prove himself and then set some new standard then. Bobrovsky will become a ufa at the same time. Florida might be looking for a new 10+ million dollar goalie then.
Or they could just let him sit out, then see how that works out, not good for the team, and not good for Sways checking account or his career.

LeonDraisaitl

Jan 5, 2015
Saskatchewan
I feel like they got good value for Ullmark so it’s difficult to say they would get a better deal down the road but by trading Ullmark it shows how important Swayman is to the team.

It will be interesting to see what comes of this cause Swayman seems to have them by the balls

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
A lot of people think goalies are different than skaters and shouldn't get paydays but I don't agree with the justification for that

From the numbers I've heard I'm on Swayman's side. He's one of the better starters in the league. He shouldn't have to give up millions because he hasn't won a cup. That hasn't stopped other none cup winning players from commanding top dollar

Reactions: RogerRogerr

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
A lot of people think goalies are different than skaters and shouldn't get paydays but I don't agree with the justification for that

From the numbers I've heard I'm on Swayman's side. He's one of the better starters in the league. He shouldn't have to give up millions because he hasn't won a cup. That hasn't stopped other none cup winning players from commanding top dollar
I think the biggest argument is he's never played more than 44 games in a season. How can you demand 8 or 9m when you've never had a starters load.

Reactions: Laus723

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think the biggest argument is he's never played more than 44 games in a season. How can you demand 8 or 9m when you've never had a starters load.
Yeah but is he expected to sign long term at a lower value on the cusp of his value leaping a ton? It's not like him playing only 44 games was because of a deficiency on his part.

Reactions: TD Charlie

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Yeah but is he expected to sign long term at a lower value on the cusp of his value leaping a ton? It's not like him playing only 44 games was because of a deficiency on his part.
I'm sure they would sign him to a 1 year 5m contract and then sign him to 8x8 rather than sign him to 8x8 without a proven workload. Although who knows maybe they want him @ 6.5m longterm and wouldn't do the 1 year contract followed by a bigger contract. I just know if I were gm I'm not signing a longterm 8-9m deal for a goalie who hasn't played 45 games in a season. There have been plenty of goalies who have started their careers hot and completely fallen off under bigger loads.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Swayman sitting out means korpisolo is starting... Trust me you do not want that

Like Talbot before him, I wouldn't be surprised if Korpisalo is at least decent after his stint in Ottawa.

He'll get a lot more help, and it will help his mental game significantly. That's huge for any goalie.

Reactions: stl76

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Like Talbot before him, I wouldn't be surprised if Korpisalo is at least decent after his stint in Ottawa.

He'll get a lot more help, and it will help his mental game significantly. That's huge for any goalie.
Korpisalo had the best stats on both teams he played for in 2022-23 columbus/LA and last year had same stats as the other goalie in ottawa. So it's not like he's getting outplayed by other goalies the past 2 years.

Reactions: KevinRedkey

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm sure they would sign him to a 1 year 5m contract and then sign him to 8x8 rather than sign him to 8x8 without a proven workload. Although who knows maybe they want him @ 6.5m longterm and wouldn't do the 1 year contract followed by a bigger contract. I just know if I were gm I'm not signing a longterm 8-9m deal for a goalie who hasn't played 45 games in a season. There have been plenty of goalies who have started their careers hot and completely fallen off under bigger loads.
For sure I could see in this player centric time that Swayman doesn't want to commit long term at his plain established value but also doesn't want to have to take a one year deal that gives him risk from that angle either.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Cause they don't really have the choice. They pictured themselves in the corner and were hoping yo get Sway at a bargain which he is not willing to do. He'll end up at 9.5ish for 8years or on a deal that bring him straight to UFA,
They have two other signed goalies. Swayman doesnt have income if he doesnt sign. He wont be getting a 2 year contract that takes him to UFA. Thats nonsense.

Reactions: wintersej

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Such BS by Swayman to claim it's to help other goalies. He's within his rights to ask for whatever he can get, but don't pretend you're helping anyone except yourself. It's like he's embarrassed and wants to save face or something.

Easy to see why one might say this but it also wouldn’t be surprising if the players Union is in his ear.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Last I looked the Bruins were offering him $6.2 and apparently they have $8.6 to work with. It's a lot less than Pastrnak, McAvoy and Elias Lindholm and less than Hampus Lindholm. Swagman was by a stretch their best playoff performer last year and arguably as important to the Bruins as Pastrnak and McAvoy IMO. He seems determined to get what he's asking for and maybe the Bruins try life without him for a while but I think eventually they're going to have to bite the bullet in some way.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
They have two other goalies...that aren't in the same universe as Swayman lol to act like the Bruins have nothing to lose by him sitting out is frankly ridiculous.
Who is acting like that? Swayman is asking more then he is worth based on resume and comparables. He also has no leverage as a RFA. The most likely outcome is a compromise is reached, otherwise Swayman is either in Europe or not getting paid. They certainly arent caving in to his top of he market demands or walk him to UFA. That is ridiculous.

Reactions: wintersej

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Or they could just let him sit out, then see how that works out, not good for the team, and not good for Sways checking account or his career.
How is becoming a UFA not good for his bank account?

There's another path for him: sign his qualifying offer for this year. Go into next season as an Rfa, at that point he can pretty much force a trade since he can do the 1 year QO again and be a UFA, so if he wants out the B's would pretty much have to trade him next offseason or lose him for nothing the following year.

That's IF he wants to get out, which I don't think he does. But make 3.6 for 1 year and then being traded for by a team that's willing to pay him is absolutely better for his checking account than signing for 4 years below maket price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad