Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Vasy and Bob both have Cups. Can't see how he thinks he deserves more than Hellebuyck

FFS he's won one playoff series.

100%. Too me the obvious comp is Saros.

Juuse Saros age 23, 24, 25 seasons:
18-19 - 17-10-2 / S% .915 / GAA 2.62
19-20 - 17-12-4 / S% .914 / GAA 2.70
20-21 - 21-11-1 / S% .927 / GAA 2.28 [Votes: Hart 11; Vezina 6]

Jeremy Swayman age 23, 24, 25 seasons:

21-22 - 23-14-3 / S% .914 / GAA 2.421
22-23 - 24-6-4 / S% .920 / GAA 2.27
20-21 - 25-10-8 / S% .916 / GAA 2.53 [Votes: Byng 44; Vezina 7]

Saros at the same age with similar stats and splitting time took a 4x5m contract extension worth 6.13% of the cap or about an AAV of 5.4m in today's cap.

Saros then showed he could be a solid starter and was able to sign a long term contract extension worth 7.74m.

My guess is this whole argument is predicated on Swayman's camp stating "look what Saros, Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky, Vasilevskey are right now and look what they get!" And the Boston camp pointing to Saros of 2021 stating "this is almost a direct comp."

Vast difference between those two contracts so it'll be interesting to see what they work out.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Saros at the same age with similar stats and splitting time took a 4x5m contract extension worth 6.13% of the cap or about an AAV of 5.4m in today's cap.

Saros then showed he could be a solid starter and was able to sign a long term contract extension worth 7.74m.

My guess is this whole argument is predicated on Swayman's camp stating "look what Saros, Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky, Vasilevskey are right now and look what they get!" And the Boston camp pointing to Saros of 2021 stating "this is almost a direct comp."

Vast difference between those two contracts so it'll be interesting to see what they work out.

Demko, Helly's last contract, Shesterkin all similar kinds of deals as Saros.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Vasy and Bob both have Cups. Can't see how he thinks he deserves more than Hellebuyck

FFS he's won one playoff series.

Doesn't matter, should have argued that and got him to sign before giving him all the leverage. Swayman said it himself Boston ripped him apart in arbitration and said it was business to get him at the lowest cap. Well now he has the keys and the leverage and it's just business to get paid like a top goalie in the NHL.

Who blinks first? My guess is the Bruins when they see Korpi in net and start the season with a losing record in the first 10 games. Boston also has no goalie to replace him if they sour the relationship.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto

Yeah it’s wild dude wants to be a top paid goalie in the league all well coming off an rfa deal. I get self confidence and all that. But prove you’re a top goalie before asking for it.

I love Sway and think he’s a very good goalie, but guys out of his mind

Reactions: StrBender

Eddie Munson

Jul 11, 2008
Demko, Helly's last contract, Shesterkin all similar kinds of deals as Saros.

I'm not looking at what Saros is paid now. I'm saying at the same age as Swayman, he was a goalie with similar stats, who was also platooned, and had also Vezina votes going into his RFA contract. They signed him to 4x5m as a "prove you can be the starter" kind of deal. He went on to continue putting up great numbers but starting ~80% of the games for the Preds the next 3 years and then got 7.74m.

Swayman understandably wants to not deal with the "prove it" deal and be paid now. While I don't necessarily mind him being paid now, pointing to comps of the top-5 paid goalies in the league as a benchmark seems ridiculous. If he wants that then take a 2 year deal that walks him to free agency and then go for the big money. But something in the 6.5-7.5m range now seems appropriate.

I get the trepidation from both parties here. Let's see who blinks first.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I'm not looking at what Saros is paid now. I'm saying at the same age as Swayman, he was a goalie with similar stats, who was also platooned, and had also Vezina votes going into his RFA contract. They signed him to 4x5m as a "prove you can be the starter" kind of deal. He went on to continue putting up great numbers but starting ~80% of the games for the Preds the next 3 years and then got 7.74m.

Swayman understandably wants to not deal with the "prove it" deal and be paid now. While I don't necessarily mind him being paid now, pointing to comps of the top-5 paid goalies in the league as a benchmark seems ridiculous. If he wants that then take a 2 year deal that walks him to free agency and then go for the big money. But something in the 6.5-7.5m range now seems appropriate.

I just don't see Boston coughing up big bucks for him yet. Bridge deal, Boston discount.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Vasilevskiy just came off a 44 win season and then won the Vezina a month before signing that contract in 2019.

Bobrovsky had two Vezinas (14 & 17) and was lights out for Columbus putting up some of his best numbers in a contract year leading up to his contract which he signed as a FA in 2019.

Hellebuyck won a Vezina in 2020 and has put up All-Star level numbers year after year before signing his extension in 2023.

I think Swayman will be talked about similarly to these guys at some point but comparing him to these players now is putting the cart before the horse.

Each of them had multiple years of All-Star level stats, at least one Vezina, and this tiny little thing Swayman has just accomplished this year which is being considered the de facto starter.

I think the guys you listed and their resumes are reasons why the B’s look at Hellebuyck and argue that Swayman hasn’t passed him yet so why should he be paid more than that guy when the ink on Hellebuyck’s contract is barely even dry.

I understand, but I don’t think you realize that you’re talking out of both sides of your mouth. Trying to hand swayman his flowers by saying ‘someday’ he will be in the conversation with the best goalies in the world, but insinuating that he should sign for $6.2m for 8 because he hasn’t won a vezina yet.

He has trophies, Jennings I’m pretty sure? First goalie tandem in history to have a 40 win and a 20 win goalie, he’s relatively young.

Swayman would be an idiot to sign for anything less than $9 and I wouldn’t be surprised if he thinks he’s going to sign long term for $10+

I could be wildly off base, I’m trying to read the tea leaves here. But he is a young premier goalie, and those guys get paid. Him not signi by yet tells me bruins are lowballing him and he wants a truck of money

Yikes........................11M seems way off. I thought I read he was asking for 9.5M and we all know that's code for 8-8.5M and that's where he will probably end up..............Bruins may move into the 7.5M neighborhood also.
50-50 crapshoot right now guys.

I got laughed at when I called him unproven earlier this summer in the “predict the Atlantic standings thread”

But all of a sudden when the talk is about money, after everyone convinced me I was wrong about him being unproven, want to say that he hasn’t earned anything yet

This website sometimes, man lol

Reactions: wetcoast

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
Pretty interesting case.
Boston need Swayman and can't start the season without their no 1 goalie.
Does Boston want to sign and trade due to the hard negociation ?
If yes not a lot of team can afford it in cap space and also boston will asking a no 1 goalie and more.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

We are saying the same thing. All those guys had similar deals between 4-6 years and 5-6.5m in todays dollars depending on the term at the same point in their age/contract status profile.

Eddie Munson

Jul 11, 2008
I understand, but I don’t think you realize that you’re talking out of both sides of your mouth. Trying to hand swayman his flowers by saying ‘someday’ he will be in the conversation with the best goalies in the world, but insinuating that he should sign for $6.2m for 8 because he hasn’t won a vezina yet.

He has trophies, Jennings I’m pretty sure? First goalie tandem in history to have a 40 win and a 20 win goalie, he’s relatively young.

Swayman would be an idiot to sign for anything less than $9 and I wouldn’t be surprised if he thinks he’s going to sign long term for $10+

I could be wildly off base, I’m trying to read the tea leaves here. But he is a young premier goalie, and those guys get paid. Him not signi by yet tells me bruins are lowballing him and he wants a truck of money

I got laughed at when I called him unproven earlier this summer in the “predict the Atlantic standings thread”

But all of a sudden when the talk is about money, after everyone convinced me I was wrong about him being unproven, want to say that he hasn’t earned anything yet

This website sometimes, man lol

I’m not entirely sure you do understand.

You look to other goalies and their stats and accolades when they sign a contract to understand what got them to that number. I then found someone who was a direct comp in Saros and said this should be the offer from the Bruins but I understand if they go 6.5-7.5 because of the position they’re in and the fact I think they are very confident he will be in the same conversation as those top guys some day.

Not sure where you got 6.2m x 8???

A Jennings Trophy? Versus a Vezina? Not even close to similar accolades.

And no, I’m not saying he needs a Vezina to get a big contract. But I’d like to see him start more that 50% of the season before giving him top-5 money. I think that’s fair.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I’m not entirely sure you do understand.

You look to other goalies and their stats and accolades when they sign a contract to understand what got them to that number. I then found someone who was a direct comp in Saros and said this should be the offer from the Bruins but I understand if they go 6.5-7.5 because of the position they’re in and the fact I think they are very confident he will be in the same conversation as those top guys some day.

Not sure where you got 6.2m x 8???

A Jennings Trophy? Versus a Vezina? Not even close to similar accolades.

And no, I’m not saying he needs a Vezina to get a big contract. But I’d like to see him start more that 50% of the season before giving him top-5 money. I think that’s fair.

Ya I had the same thinking in the Atlantic predictions thread.

I read $6.2 somewhere in here, I can’t remember exactly where

We will see how it goes, I’ve been on both sides of the fence here.

When I was predicting the bruins standing in the division, I said they might struggle because swaymans unproven and no one knows if he can carry a full workload.

Then I was convinced that I was wrong and he’s a stud.

Now I’m saying he’s a stud and should be paid like one, but I’m being disagreed with saying he is unproven.

So I could (and have) go either way lol

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Reactions: Mick Riddleton

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
I love Swayman but at the end of the day, I'm a Bruins fan first - over any individual player.

Sick of how long this has gone on already and I'm dreading it being a circus distraction during training camp. If his asks are unreasonable, move him for the best offer you can get and roll with Korpisalo/Bussi. Or, let him hold out and make a public statement saying that the team has moved on without him.

No one player is worth derailing an entire season for.

Burnaby Schmo

Jan 23, 2021
Damn, I have Swayman in the Demko/Sorokin tier of goalies, but we all know the cap is increasing. If I were Boston, I'd be careful here, because he may be there best piece behind Pasta.

Good luck to both sides getting it done.

Reactions: wetcoast

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I love Swayman but at the end of the day, I'm a Bruins fan first - over any individual player.

Sick of how long this has gone on already and I'm dreading it being a circus distraction during training camp. If his asks are unreasonable, move him for the best offer you can get and roll with Korpisalo/Bussi. Or, let him hold out and make a public statement saying that the team has moved on without him.

No one player is worth derailing an entire season for.

McAvoy signed on September 15th as an RFA and Pasta signed on September 14th as an RFA.

I suspect it will happen in the next week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad