Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
How many playoff series has Swayman won? How many Vezinas has he won? How many seasons has he been the #1 for the Bruins? And he allegedly wants top dollar on a long-term deal. It's a business and he's trying to maximize his earnings, but at some point he needs to be realistic.

Sweeney was smart to sign a proven elite scorer, Pastrnak, to a huge long-term deal. He would be foolish to do anything close to what Swayman is allegedly asking with an 8-year term. Swayman may very well become elite, but he needs to show that over multiple seasons before getting a mega deal.

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
How many playoff series has Swayman won? How many Vezinas has he won? How many seasons has he been the #1 for the Bruins? And he allegedly wants top dollar on a long-term deal. It's a business and he's trying to maximize his earnings, but at some point he needs to be realistic.

Sweeney was smart to sign a proven elite scorer, Pastrnak, to a huge long-term deal. He would be foolish to do anything close to what Swayman is allegedly asking with an 8-year term. Swayman may very well become elite, but he needs to show that over multiple seasons before getting a mega deal.
How many playoff series has Pasta won?
How many Harts has Pasta won?
A guy who only had one goal against the panthers yet being paid 11mil

VS

Swayman being the only reason they beat the leafs and werent swept by the panthers, Swayman absolutely carried the bruins, hes a top 5 goalie you gotta pay that man.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

VS

Swayman being the only reason they beat the leafs and werent swept by the panthers, Swayman absolutely carried the bruins, hes a top 5 goalie you gotta pay that man.

Let’s be reality, Boston would have beat Toronto even with Bussi in net. Don’t make Toronto seem like some competent and accomplished playoff team here.

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
How many Harts/Rockets has Pasta won?

VS

Pastrnak is a well-established elite goal scorer over many years. Big difference from having one great first round playoff series against a team you own every playoffs. The number of goalies in NHL history who have looked great for a season or two before coming back down to earth is a long one.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
I believe that Swayman is a great goalie, but stats vs. the Leafs in the playoffs aren't a great metric to use. Their scorers choke every playoff, and the opponents' goalie always has great stats. But, yeah, Swayman looked incredible in both series last season.

Reactions: TheGooooch

Idiot Stick

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
Pastrnak is a well-established elite goal scorer over many years. Big difference from having one great first round playoff series against a team you own every playoffs. The number of goalies in NHL history who have looked great for a season or two before coming back down to earth is a long one.
Sure, but looking at playoff wins or lack thereof when hes been the best player on the ice as a factor to why he shouldnt get paid is bizarre.

Even more bizarre bostons locked themselves in this corner with a goalie they dont trust, yet jettisoned their trustworthy goalie and are hoping Korpisalo who single handily lost games for Ottawa can save them, or rely on a backup who hasnt played an nhl game.

Let’s be reality, Boston would have beat Toronto even with Bussi in net. Don’t make Toronto seem like some competent and accomplished playoff team here.
I watched the last 3 games, Swayman stood on his head and those games were all close games. I thought they did play well enough to win had ullmark started all series. I know the leafs are a meme but that went to game 7 OT after most thought it would be a sweep

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Swayman is an elite number 1 . Get your bag young man ( Leaf fan who despises the Bruins saying this ) . He’s been nothing short of outstanding at every stop . No reason to think this won’t continue. Bruins are a defensively sound team but one of the reasons they look so good is the play of their goalies . Additionally he strikes me as someone who’s mentally tough . It’s an enticing combo . If Bruins won’t pay I bet someone will ( not 10 maybe but much higher than 6 )

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
Sure, but looking at playoff wins or lack thereof when hes been the best player on the ice as a factor to why he shouldnt get paid is bizarre.

Even more bizarre bostons locked themselves in this corner with a goalie they dont trust, yet jettisoned their trustworthy goalie and are hoping Korpisalo who single handily lost games for Ottawa can save them, or rely on a backup who hasnt played an nhl game.

I watched the last 3 games, Swayman stood on his head and those games were all close games. I thought they did play well enough to win had ullmark started all series. I know the leafs are a meme but that went to game 7 OT after most thought it would be a sweep

Korpisalo will have better numbers than Ullmark this season. Not because he's better but because the Sens defense is near ECHL level in quality.

Ullmark had one amazing season playing behind the best regular season team of all time, last season he had already reverted back to his normal numbers from his Buffalo years. He also couldn't be trusted to get starts in the playoffs.

Idiot Stick

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
Korpisalo will have better numbers than Ullmark this season. Not because he's better but because the Sens defense is near ECHL level in quality.

Ullmark had one amazing season playing behind the best regular season team of all time, last season he had already reverted back to his normal numbers from his Buffalo years. He also couldn't be trusted to get starts in the playoffs.
is that injury he played through during the playoffs last year still bugging him?
Fwiw i thought he played well in buffalo considering their roster

But yeah, i thought Swayman starting in the playoffs was the sign he was their #1 going forward, but now they dont wanna pay him like a #1?

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
is that injury he played through during the playoffs last year still bugging him?
Fwiw i thought he played well in buffalo considering their roster

But yeah, i thought Swayman starting in the playoffs was the sign he was their #1 going forward, but now they dont wanna pay him like a #1?
It actually started the prior season. Ullmark was coming off of a Vezina season and couldn't even scratch out a .900 sv% in the playoffs.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
He's too unproven to give an 8 year deal to. Bruins should give him a 3 year $8m AAV deal. Handle the higher AAV because he may end up being worth it but reduce the risk by lowering the term.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
He's too unproven to give an 8 year deal to. Bruins should give him a 3 year $8m AAV deal. Handle the higher AAV because he may end up being worth it but reduce the risk by lowering the term.

But why would they do that when Saros/Shesterkin/Helly all took 5 or 6m deals with 4 to 6 year term in similar contract situations?

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

Would much, much rather many more years for that salary. Less years only hurts the Bruins with this scenario. Swayman wins.

Needs to be win win.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Trading away Ullmark gave Swayman a lot of leverage. Easier said than done but if I were the Bs I wouldn’t have traded Ullmark until after Swayman signed. Swayman is a great goalie but not irreplaceable and still voodoo like 99% of other goalies. Giving him a huge long term deal would be a mistake.

But why would they do that when Saros/Shesterkin/Helly all took 5 or 6m deals with 4 to 6 year term in similar contract situations?
If Swayman would accept that wouldn’t he be signed by now?

Reactions: BLONG7

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
A 4x$6m deal signed in 2024 is different value than what it was when those guys signed years back.
Would much, much rather many more years for that salary. Less years only hurts the Bruins with this scenario. Swayman wins.

Needs to be win win.
I don't think it hurts the bruins all that much. Goaltending is volatile and I think not committing yourself to a major contract with a lot of term would be wise. Pay more up front for the lack of risk at the end.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

CheerstoBeers

Jan 28, 2008

VS

Wow. This may be the dumbest thing I've read in quite a long time. Thanks. My head hurts now

Reactions: Leafshater67

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
A 4x$6m deal signed in 2024 is different value than what it was when those guys signed years back.

Cap adjusted Helly was 6x6.7 in today's dollars. The rest are under 6 in today's dollars (but 4 year terms). Boston offered 4x6+, if true, is extremely inline with precedent and even a little more generous.

If Swayman would accept that wouldn’t he be signed by now?

There is no pressure for Swayman, yet. In a couple weeks, both sides will start to feel pressure to get things done.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad