OT: ~The Beer, Spirits, & Nightlife Thread V5~ Time For Good Beer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
I feel the same way about Rouge, but the only beer by them I ever felt was top notch and would really look forward to drinking was their Chocolate Stout. Even that tastes like a bunch of watered down crap if I drink it today.

They grew too fast, charged too much and stopped caring about quality. A real shame as they are a craft beer OG.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I feel like they'd be just another microbrewery and not an object of derision as much as they are now if not for the fact that they charge so damn much for their beer.

When they were twice as good as the competition they could get away with charging twice as much...but as competition grew and passed them they kept their prices high, while others didn't. To this day I can get a six-pack of Deschutes' Black Butte Porter for about the same price as a bomber of Rogue's Chocolate Stout...that's an easy choice.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
I still like Dead Guy.

You people on Untappd?

I should be on Untappd due to my heroic consumption of beer, but like Shady I'm not a social media person.

It would be helpful as I've left many a beer festival asking "What was the name of that one I really liked?". Perhaps I'll sign up.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Speaking of Deschutes black butte Porter, that is a damn good beer. Had it at Burgatory about a month ago. Delicious

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Rogue isn't bad, they are a bit higher $ than they should be though. Their Hazelnut Rum was pretty solid, from what I recall. Actually, I think there's still a bit left in a bottle in the bar. hmm

I don't have untapped, but I've got reviews on beeradvocate and ratebeer, same name.

JimsDoors

May 11, 2010
Tri-State County
Just got a text from dude at the beer store I stop at.

Says Nugget Nectar is in. Seems like it's getting earlier every year, which is fine with me. I'll be getting a case.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'm drinking a Nugget Nectar now. It's solid, nothing amazing based on years past. If I remember right, I wasn't too impressed with it last year.

Hoping to seek it out on draft soon - this is from a 12 oz can at the six pack shop around the corner from me. Actually not horrendously priced at 3.50 a can. I used to get at least a case every single year, but it seems like the case price just keeps getting more expensive. It's not as smart on a per-beer ratio, but I don't drink quite as much as I used to, so I might just get another round of it in a little while. Perhaps the distributor will have some 12-packs of it.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
I keep meaning to get Untapped, but haven't. I've used Beer Advocate to try and track beers I've drank, but am horrible at remembering to do so.

Anybody download the Digital Pour app? Not a ton of bars around Pittsburgh that use it yet, but you can get up to date draft lists along with pricing for each size glass they serve that particular beer in. I know with Industry Public House, it even will tell you how much is remaining in each keg.

I just got a bottle of Terrapin's Rise-n-Shine at Market District in Robinson yesterday. It's essentially their Wake-n-Bake imperial stout aged in Tennessee whiskey barrels for a year.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
I am hearing Southern Tier will be opening the Pittsburgh location next week, but haven't heard a set day though.

I also just heard about Mindful Brewing opening up in the South Hills. Sounds like a pretty nice place, 50 beers on tap including around 20 of their own beers, and a bottle shop with upwards of 1000 beers. Hoping to check it out within the next week or two.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I read on another forum that I'm on that Glenlivet 12 Year Old scotch is being or has been already discontinued.

Say what?? :dunno:
http://wordsofwhisky.com/answers-regarding-discontinuation-glenlivet-12/

Apparently, it sounds like their desire to have more bottles available of their older age statement bottlings (which make more $$$$), there is now a much shorter supply of the 12 year barrels. With that, they have discontinued the 12 in many regions throughout the world and it has been replaced by Founder's Reserve, which does not have an age statement. I still see the 12 everywhere, so maybe the US still gets the limited supply, not sure about Canada.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
Looking forward to going next time I'm in town.

How is the brewery scene shaping up in Pittsburgh lately? In cleveland, we have 5 new breweries opening up this spring either downtown or near west side.

http://www.nextpittsburgh.com/current-features/17-pittsburgh-craft-breweries-new-or-coming-soon/

I found this article from a few months back regarding some new breweries. I've heard of a few others plus cider places not on that list, and that's not including brew pubs/craft beer centered bars opening up.

I went to Mindful Brewing on Saturday, beer was pretty good. They had about a dozen of their own in addition to probably 30-35 other taps and their bottle selection. Their hostess told us they had an estimated 4-5 hour wait for a table, so we did not have any of their food. They have an upper and lower level bar along with an outdoor 2nd level patio.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
http://www.nextpittsburgh.com/current-features/17-pittsburgh-craft-breweries-new-or-coming-soon/

I found this article from a few months back regarding some new breweries. I've heard of a few others plus cider places not on that list, and that's not including brew pubs/craft beer centered bars opening up.

I went to Mindful Brewing on Saturday, beer was pretty good. They had about a dozen of their own in addition to probably 30-35 other taps and their bottle selection. Their hostess told us they had an estimated 4-5 hour wait for a table, so we did not have any of their food. They have an upper and lower level bar along with an outdoor 2nd level patio.

Cool thanks for sharing. It gives me some ideas of places to go when I visit family and friends.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Trying to do a winter cleaning out of all my older beer in the house that I'm not trying to age. A larger than it should be undertaking.

Best winter/spring cleaning project ever.

I had 3 cans of Two Hearted Ale left over from summer and all 3 erupted like Mt Vesuvius when popped. They all tasted fine, though. :)

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
Trying to do a winter cleaning out of all my older beer in the house that I'm not trying to age. A larger than it should be undertaking.

I had 3 cans of Two Hearted Ale left over from summer and all 3 erupted like Mt Vesuvius when popped. They all tasted fine, though. :)

Good call. I've got a few bottles of de Garde that I'm not aging that just aren't going to drink themselves.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009

Bell's Two Hearted is the best go to beer for any occasion. Never a bad choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad