OT: The Avalounge (mod warning - No Politics)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
It's a little out of the way, but I would also recommend a Red Rocks show. Constantly ranked as one of the best venues in the world, if there's one thing that's a must in Colorado, it's Red Rocks.

Reactions: KiwiGriff

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
Compared to a lot of cities, Denver doesn't have many areas to avoid. There are spots in Aurora that are kinda crappy, but some of the best food (and manatee hour!). Overall though, you're not going to run into areas that are extremely dangerous by accident. Down by the Rescue Mission (southish from Coors Field a few blocks) there tends to be a lot of homeless camps. I wouldn't recommend hanging out there, but it is pretty easy to spot and avoid... or walk by. 16th Street Mall (a place you'll likely head to) has had some spurts of those camps lately too. East Colfax into Aurora can get rough. But really... keep a good head. If you rent a car, don't leave your belongings visible (smash and grabs are probably the most common crime). You'll likely be fine. This isn't a Milwaukee/DC/Baltimore type city where it can get rough and dangerous quickly. Most of the crime is property crime and theft.

Downtown Denver is rather clean and walkable downtown for a western US city, but compared to east coast or European cities, it isn't that walkable (but it is a lot cleaner than both). You can walk around LoDo or 16th St Mall pretty easily. If you're walking or using public transportation, you'll be limited by the interstate and just pure distance... Denver has a lot of sprawl. The Highlands area is up and coming with a lot of good food and breweries. LoDo (basically Coors Field area) is filled with bars, clubs, and food. Most of the food follows US trends. So you'll find trendy fusion restaurants and such just like a lot of other cities. There is bound to be a decent restaurant of almost any type of cuisine you want. The Buckhorn Exchange isn't the best restaurant in Denver, but it is a local staple and flair. One of the best Ethiopian places I've ever had outside of Minnesota is on East Colfax. Guard and Grace is a great modern steakhouse, legitimately $200+ every time I go with my wife though. Tavernetta is excellent Italian food. But you can find good pizzas of different types (Blue Pan is a favorite of mine). Denver is big transplant city and the food reflects that. Plenty of variety, not a whole lot of local flair... which is why I'd recommend Buckhorn. When you go, order your friend the Rocky Mountain Oysters. I'd also recommend Linger too... more vibes than high end quality.

If you're a beer person, Denver has one of the best craft beer scenes in the world. There are many world class breweries throughout the city. Everything from Czech lagers, to the hoppiest of IPAs to sours that give Belgium a run. You can find anything you want there... you just may have to trot around the the city to get to some.

For lodging, if you're going to stick downtown... all the normal big names are there and probably fine. The Brown Palace is an interesting local hotel and well located. I'm sure there is an abundance of AirBnBs too that'd be fine. If you could get by the river, you'd also be in a good spot there.

Other things to do... if there is a show as Red Rocks you're at all interested in, it is worth it. Epic place to see any band. For golf, there are a ton of good options. I really like Fox Hollow by Red Rocks. City Park (nearish to downtown) is fun with some obvious space limitations. Fossil Trace is my favorite that I've played. I've never been lucky enough to play Arrowhead, but I'm sure somebody here has. Lots of good hiking and outdoor stuff on the western side of town. Just keep your eyes out for rattlesnakes as they are pretty common on those trails. Meow Wolf is an interesting experience, especially if you partake in other things prior.

And... above all else... Shotgun Willies. You're bound to see former Avs legend Tyler Arnason putting a single mother through college. If not, you can at least score some baby laxative laced with cocaine.
That's an amazing rundown. Thanks heaps. I just saw the price of a round at Arrowhead ... i think we'll just quietly slide that idea from the "how cool is this?" pile, into the "maybe if we don't otherwise blow our budget on other stuff" pile. I'm an outdoorsy guy, not too sure if my mate will be up for it but a day trip out west sounds good.

And yes we 100% will be partaking of the craft breweries. My home, Wellington, is New Zealand's beer capital so I'll be wanting to see how you stack up. There is literally an area here called Brewtown where a number of breweries all co-located and you can wander from one to the next while the kids do the activities in businesses that have also popped up around there.

I knew the HF Boards would be a good source of local knowledge. Thanks again.

Reactions: henchman21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
That's an amazing rundown. Thanks heaps. I just saw the price of a round at Arrowhead ... i think we'll just quietly slide that idea from the "how cool is this?" pile, into the "maybe if we don't otherwise blow our budget on other stuff" pile. I'm an outdoorsy guy, not too sure if my mate will be up for it but a day trip out west sounds good.

And yes we 100% will be partaking of the craft breweries. My home, Wellington, is New Zealand's beer capital so I'll be wanting to see how you stack up. There is literally an area here called Brewtown where a number of breweries all co-located and you can wander from one to the next while the kids do the activities in businesses that have also popped up around there.

I knew the HF Boards would be a good source of local knowledge. Thanks again.
Golf is not super cheap at the best of places here, but some of the places like City Park are fun and cool in their own right.

Got plenty of recommendations on the beer front. Bierstadt, Cohesion, Bruz, Burns, Crooked Stave, Cerebral, amongst others. When you get where you're stick around or where you're venturing to, many of us can guide ya to the bet places.

Reactions: KiwiGriff

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
It's a little out of the way, but I would also recommend a Red Rocks show. Constantly ranked as one of the best venues in the world, if there's one thing that's a must in Colorado, it's Red Rocks.
Just went and looked at the pictures. Looks awesome. I'll keep an eye on the calendar when it gets closer to our trip (April next year). I'll cross my fingers for a metal gig, or maybe at least a decent rock band that wouldn't usually head out our way ... like a Coheed & Cambria.

Also complete 180 on topics. I am hoping to get a session in with one of your local Brazilian Jiu Jitsu instructors as well - Mike Bidwell.

Reactions: sethro109

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
@KiwiGriff Hench gave you an amazing run down. Enjoy Denver, but definitely think about planning that the best things to do in Colorado are not in Denver. Rocky Mountain National Park is a drive, but is one of the best areas you can go to. You can stop by Boulder and get some amazing food (one of the better cities to eat). Pikes Peak is another aspect you can enjoy and there are some amazing Jamaican spots in Colorado Springs. Both are long drives though.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Red Rocks is indeed an awe-inspiring experience, however depending on when you go it might not be open for concerts. It usually shuts down for the winter, because outdoor concerts (and driving up those narrow roads to get there) are not fun in the middle of a blizzard. That said, even if there aren't any shows happening, I believe it's usually open for sightseeing during the day as long as the weather isn't horrible, though, it's worth it just to see the place if you get a chance.

If you stay around the convention center you'll be roughly in between Ball Arena and Coors Field, within fairly easy walking distance (a mile or so) of both. There's a huge cluster of hotels right in that area, you should have no trouble finding a room (unless there's a massive event at the convention center, maybe check the schedule for that).

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
I wanted to second the Rocky Mountain National Park and the Red Rocks recommendations. You could do a day of Boulder > RMNP and back. RMNP is gorgeous. There are some cool hikes around Boulder and Red Rocks too.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Arrowhead isn’t worth it. Fossil and Fox Hollow are just as good.

For breweries the best in town is Odell and Our Mutual Friend.
Arrowhead is awesome and worth doing once. But yeah, relative to the price you can find relatively similar level golf for half the price.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Hi, friends! My wife and I are going on a road trip for our honeymoon over the next week, and will be spending the last 3 or so days in Denver. Are there any absolute must-see places/attractions we should hit up?

In particular, my wife is big into the arts and would probably appreciate going to your favorite museum, art exhibit, or show. I'll be perfectly content wandering around downtown, having some beers at local breweries, and just relaxing.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Hi, friends! My wife and I are going on a road trip for our honeymoon over the next week, and will be spending the last 3 or so days in Denver. Are there any absolute must-see places/attractions we should hit up?

In particular, my wife is big into the arts and would probably appreciate going to your favorite museum, art exhibit, or show. I'll be perfectly content wandering around downtown, having some beers at local breweries, and just relaxing.
This is where I quote myself :laugh:
Compared to a lot of cities, Denver doesn't have many areas to avoid. There are spots in Aurora that are kinda crappy, but some of the best food (and manatee hour!). Overall though, you're not going to run into areas that are extremely dangerous by accident. Down by the Rescue Mission (southish from Coors Field a few blocks) there tends to be a lot of homeless camps. I wouldn't recommend hanging out there, but it is pretty easy to spot and avoid... or walk by. 16th Street Mall (a place you'll likely head to) has had some spurts of those camps lately too. East Colfax into Aurora can get rough. But really... keep a good head. If you rent a car, don't leave your belongings visible (smash and grabs are probably the most common crime). You'll likely be fine. This isn't a Milwaukee/DC/Baltimore type city where it can get rough and dangerous quickly. Most of the crime is property crime and theft.

Downtown Denver is rather clean and walkable downtown for a western US city, but compared to east coast or European cities, it isn't that walkable (but it is a lot cleaner than both). You can walk around LoDo or 16th St Mall pretty easily. If you're walking or using public transportation, you'll be limited by the interstate and just pure distance... Denver has a lot of sprawl. The Highlands area is up and coming with a lot of good food and breweries. LoDo (basically Coors Field area) is filled with bars, clubs, and food. Most of the food follows US trends. So you'll find trendy fusion restaurants and such just like a lot of other cities. There is bound to be a decent restaurant of almost any type of cuisine you want. The Buckhorn Exchange isn't the best restaurant in Denver, but it is a local staple and flair. One of the best Ethiopian places I've ever had outside of Minnesota is on East Colfax. Guard and Grace is a great modern steakhouse, legitimately $200+ every time I go with my wife though. Tavernetta is excellent Italian food. But you can find good pizzas of different types (Blue Pan is a favorite of mine). Denver is big transplant city and the food reflects that. Plenty of variety, not a whole lot of local flair... which is why I'd recommend Buckhorn. When you go, order your friend the Rocky Mountain Oysters. I'd also recommend Linger too... more vibes than high end quality.

If you're a beer person, Denver has one of the best craft beer scenes in the world. There are many world class breweries throughout the city. Everything from Czech lagers, to the hoppiest of IPAs to sours that give Belgium a run. You can find anything you want there... you just may have to trot around the the city to get to some.

For lodging, if you're going to stick downtown... all the normal big names are there and probably fine. The Brown Palace is an interesting local hotel and well located. I'm sure there is an abundance of AirBnBs too that'd be fine. If you could get by the river, you'd also be in a good spot there.

Other things to do... if there is a show as Red Rocks you're at all interested in, it is worth it. Epic place to see any band. For golf, there are a ton of good options. I really like Fox Hollow by Red Rocks. City Park (nearish to downtown) is fun with some obvious space limitations. Fossil Trace is my favorite that I've played. I've never been lucky enough to play Arrowhead, but I'm sure somebody here has. Lots of good hiking and outdoor stuff on the western side of town. Just keep your eyes out for rattlesnakes as they are pretty common on those trails. Meow Wolf is an interesting experience, especially if you partake in other things prior.

And... above all else... Shotgun Willies. You're bound to see former Avs legend Tyler Arnason putting a single mother through college. If not, you can at least score some baby laxative laced with cocaine.

TLDR... Red Rocks is fantastic. If any of the acts at all interest you, grab tickets. If not, hike around it or in it (if they aren't prepping for a show). Meow Wolf is probably the most unique Denver art experience (though I think there are 4 or 5 now scattered around). Go to the Santa Fe Art District. The Molly Brown museum is a unique Denver thing. The rest of the art and science museums are pretty cookie cutter and the quality really depends which installation is in. There are quite a in the downtown and closely surrounding areas.

Buckhorn is the Denver restaurant institution.

Breweries... there's probably 20+ great recommendations depending on what you want. Lagers... Cohesion/Bierstadt. Variety... Odells, OMF, Burnz, Cerebral. Belgian... Bruz. Sours... Crooked Stave. There are plenty of others that are great (even better in some cases), but that's a start.

• Love
Reactions: Romang67

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
This is where I quote myself :laugh:

TLDR... Red Rocks is fantastic. If any of the acts at all interest you, grab tickets. If not, hike around it or in it (if they aren't prepping for a show). Meow Wolf is probably the most unique Denver art experience (though I think there are 4 or 5 now scattered around). Go to the Santa Fe Art District. The Molly Brown museum is a unique Denver thing. The rest of the art and science museums are pretty cookie cutter and the quality really depends which installation is in. There are quite a in the downtown and closely surrounding areas.

Buckhorn is the Denver restaurant institution.

Breweries... there's probably 20+ great recommendations depending on what you want. Lagers... Cohesion/Bierstadt. Variety... Odells, OMF, Burnz, Cerebral. Belgian... Bruz. Sours... Crooked Stave. There are plenty of others that are great (even better in some cases), but that's a start.
This is perfect, thank you!

Reactions: henchman21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad