OT: The Avalounge (mod warning - No Politics)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Rick Beato is solid. Loved his interview with Nuno Bettencourt.
No idea who Rick is, but I am shocked at musical AI and how it's going to be more impactful in the future. Maybe I should have expected it, but I didn't realise that AI has gotten that advanced to even make tunes and produce vocals.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
No idea who Rick is, but I am shocked at musical AI and how it's going to be more impactful in the future. Maybe I should have expected it, but I didn't realise that AI has gotten that advanced to even make tunes and produce vocals.
Rick's a pretty good dude. Guitar player, songwriter, producer and teacher. He's done a few videos on AI in music now. It's crazy the quality of it though, heck look at those silly pictures that get whipped up in our GDT using co-pilot or whatever. And that is a chopped down, heavily edited program we have access too. Imagine if there were no filters for copyrighted materials in place. The world is about to become a confusing place.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It's already everywhere it seems like. My YT feed is tailored to have a ton of metal on it, I find all sorts of good stuff that way that I never heard of. But lately, there's a bunch of channels that just flood out AI generated songs on a daily basis. Some of them are labeled as AI, some are presented as being real bands. The red flags are usually AI art in the thumbnail, or a channel that posts a new song every day starting in the last couple months. Plus, the songs do usually sound a little bit off, they've got this too-perfect production value that gives them away. Real bands I've never heard of can't afford that level of glossy post-production on their demos.

If I identify a channel as posting AI songs, I use the "Don't recommend channel" button. It's worked pretty well with clearing reaction videos out of my feed, and it's starting to stem the tide of AI "bands" too. But people looking for clicks are using AI now to make songs, it's f***ing embarrassing.

All of that said though, this is an example of AI music generation done right:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
That Butthole thing popped up in my suggestions a few weeks ago. I ignored it because obviously. Discovered a while later it was AI and felt very vindicated.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

Spaceballs is one of my all-time favorites. There's no way this will succeed. Brooks is 97, John Candy is dead, and I really doubt that Rick Moranis will come out of retirement for this. Also, Josh Gad as the lead is....... Not good.
Yeah, I love Spaceballs but it's so difficult to catch lightning twice in the same bottle. However, if they just relentlessly skewer Disney's Star Wars for 90 minutes, I'll probably be okay with it.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

Spaceballs is one of my all-time favorites. There's no way this will succeed. Brooks is 97, John Candy is dead, and I really doubt that Rick Moranis will come out of retirement for this. Also, Josh Gad as the lead is....... Not good.
Yeah... I am skeptical. I adore Brooks, he's made several of my all-time favorite movies, but going back to a well when you've already gotten all of the best material out of it is really dangerous. Plus, the History of the World Part II streaming series was torturously bad. It definitely does not inspire a lot of confidence in this project.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Ah damn...Donald Sutherland passed away. That guy starred in so many of the movies that were always aired as TV weekend regulars when I was a kid (Dirty Dozen, MASH, Kelly's Hereos, Animal House). Low key, he was my favorite space cowboy as well.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Last night, went to the Dawg Nation tournament at The Edge in Littleton.

On the Dawg team, SammyG was out there playing, Hejduk’s two kids, Michael Eyssimont. A lot of good players on the ice.

We bid on a couple of items in the silent auction, but didn’t win.

Great organization, fun event. :nod:

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Any fellow Calgarians here? How’re you guys doing with the water restrictions? My kids love playing with, in and around water so it’s been a hard learning experience for my kiddos to cut back on water usage
Wtf happened down there? All I see on the news is it will take at least 5-6 weeks to recover from this and people have to limit water consumption by at least 25% all while the Stampede apparently is bringing their own water.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Wtf happened down there? All I see on the news is it will take at least 5-6 weeks to recover from this and people have to limit water consumption by at least 25% all while the Stampede apparently is bringing their own water.

One of the big feeder pipelines for potable water burst, so the city is having issues getting usable water everywhere it needs to go without water restrictions. So they need to replace the big pipe and make sure there aren’t any other issues with it.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I saw Pearl Jam last night. Eddie was sick so his voice was f***ed, so they changed the setlist a bit. Pros - got a largely hit heavy setlist so the crowd could do a lot of the singing and Mike could just f***ing shred for five minutes at a time. Saw Inside Job. Cons - MFC was on the setlist but got skipped. They'd sold out of all the good tshirts in my size by the time I left but I got one and I got a poster.

@The Mars Volchenkov I hope his voice is better by the time your trip comes around.

Reactions: The Moops

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
May as well tag @RockLobster for this one

IMG20240627185606.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad