OT: The Avalounge: Mmm... Steamed Yams!

Status
Not open for further replies.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Hey guys, I believe some of you guys have worked in HR or in a managerial position, or otherwise in a field to which this is relevant, so I was wondering...

I'm graduating (MA) in a while and I'd like to contact a previous short-term employer with whom I've had a positive relationship, about potential work opportunities and as it happens, a potential PhD student position in the near future. However, while I know the executive director, my last stint with them was a while ago, and the people who I worked directly under aren't responsible for this kind of thing. How would you broach the subject?
I would think if the relationship was good they ( former employer ) would like to hear from you. I would personally attempt a phone call but if the call isn't taken then write a letter and send via fedex. Using fedex usually means it gets the attention you want it to.

Reactions: UncleRisto

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
This is not to belittle any sociocultural troubles, but I'm not sure what's accomplished by other white people keeping track of athletes or sports organizations making statements on Twitter, or even the statements themselves. These people have knives on their shoes as a job. Who gives a f*** what they think about injustice in a foreign country?

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
This is not to belittle any sociocultural troubles, but I'm not sure what's accomplished by other white people keeping track of athletes or sports organizations making statements on Twitter, or even the statements themselves. These people have knives on their shoes as a job. Who gives a f*** what they think about injustice in a foreign country?

The more people that recognize a problem exists the better, regardless of race or gender.

More support, means more voices to hopefully stir politicians to make real legislative change.

Reactions: 5280 and McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think it's important for people with platforms to use them for good in times like these. It is a very, very small gesture in the grand scheme of things, but it's meaningful nonetheless.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah it is about gathering support and having them on their side to spread awareness. It becoming a cancel culture thing is a little extreme and odd to me.

With hockey players specifically though, they've been called out by Kane.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Meh... Poor timing for the joke but I dont think it's that bad. And he made a good point later on. It's one thing to protest against racism and against the recent events, nobody has issue with that and Ryker didnt have issue with that. It's a completely different thing to be looting and vandalizing local stores and buildings, setting fires throughout a city, etc. That's just completely uncalled for and deserves punishment.

People take social media too seriously, but some folks on here are like that and I really dont want to get into that conversation again so that's all I'll say.

It's disappointing regardless, especially when he later made a half-assed apology/clarification later, doubled down on dissing the protesters, and still hasn't said a single, solitary word on why the protesters were out there in the first place. Just gutless.

Reactions: The Merchant

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
We all care one way or another what a reality show gadfly thinks one way or another.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Let's just remember that J.T. Brown held a fist up during the National Anthem once, didn't even kneel, and people freaked the f*** out on him.
As a comment separate of the larger discussion at hand, between those two options, kneeling during the anthem is a much more peaceful protest in my opinion, given the historical connotation.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
As a comment separate of the larger discussion at hand, between those two options, kneeling during the anthem is a much more peaceful protest in my opinion, given the historical connotation.

I dunno, people seemed to react way more viscerally when a guy didn't stand for the anthem than standing and making a gesture, however "militant" it might appear.

The funny thing is, Kaepernick got the whole idea of taking a knee from a decorated war veteran.

Reactions: McMetal

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I dunno, people seemed to react way more viscerally when a guy didn't stand for the anthem than standing and making a gesture, however "militant" it might appear.

The funny thing is, Kaepernick got the whole idea of taking a knee from a decorated war veteran.
That's true. I'm definitely out of place commenting on this, but I feel like the blurring of history over time has to do with it.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It's disappointing regardless, especially when he later made a half-assed apology/clarification later, doubled down on dissing the protesters, and still hasn't said a single, solitary word on why the protesters were out there in the first place. Just gutless.

He did no such thing....

He doubled down on the looters and the vandalism while suggesting that peaceful protesting is great. Quite frankly he's right. Protesting is very different compared to a lot of what's going on. And a lot of the vandalism and destruction that has occurred hasn't really been from people protesting, it's from anarchists who were just waiting for an opportunity to do something like this.

Similar to how the riots in Vancouver after the 2011 playoffs, where the large majority of it came from people who didn't even care about the game but were just waiting for a good excuse to latch onto a bigger situation and create chaos.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

I think both were completely justified too. When you look back at the situations surrounding all of this, you see how hypocritical lot of people are being. Right now the goal post moving is, 'why can't it just be peaceful? If it was peaceful, we'd listen!' 4 years ago when Kaep was doing his thing, a peaceful protest, nobody was willing to talk about the issue... they just moved the goal post to him being disrespectful. That is exactly how things can get out of hand. People get frustrated with nobody listening and complete disregard, that they act out. Doesn't make it right, but it is how this tension begins to boil over.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I think the Rycroft situation is much more a very bad read of the room, and less about being in the wrong. Ryker's gotta know to do that more delicately if he's going to comment at all.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think both were completely justified too. When you look back at the situations surrounding all of this, you see how hypocritical lot of people are being. Right now the goal post moving is, 'why can't it just be peaceful? If it was peaceful, we'd listen!' 4 years ago when Kaep was doing his thing, a peaceful protest, nobody was willing to talk about the issue... they just moved the goal post to him being disrespectful. That is exactly how things can get out of hand. People get frustrated with nobody listening and complete disregard, that they act out. Doesn't make it right, but it is how this tension begins to boil over.

I've never agreed with a post on here more.

Reactions: McMetal

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think the Rycroft situation is much more a very bad read of the room, and less about being in the wrong. Ryker's gotta know to do that more delicately if he's going to comment at all.

I dunno, me and more than a few other fans have called him out and he's been dead silent thus far.

There's a point where ignorance becomes willful ignorance.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I dunno, me and more than a few other fans have called him out and he's been dead silent thus far.

There's a point where ignorance becomes willful ignorance.
That's fair. It wasn't a good way to put it, and while we all know where Ryker is coming from at a surface level (with his stores and all that), he's gotta do that differently if he doesn't want the backlash for it.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
That's fair. It wasn't a good way to put it, and while we all know where Ryker is coming from at a surface level (with his stores and all that), he's gotta do that differently if he doesn't want the backlash for it.

Yep... It's just so unnecessary really. I've read a few brutal stories of small ma and pa type businesses having there stores completely destroyed and looted. That does nothing to help anybody at all and it really does take away from the main issues at hand right now. But again, my thoughts on it are that the people doing this aren't actually out here with good intentions to begin with.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The problem with a tweet like that from Rycroft is I can read and picture it in the tone of one of his intermission reports with that voice he does when he makes up some absurd turn of phrase to describe a play. I understand he has a personal business stake in a physical property in Colorado (or several, not sure) and lots of people in that position will be rightfully concerned about that being in jeopardy given some of the things that people having been doing over the past week, but as a public (of sorts) figure with a platform like this you need to understand and respect the nature of what's going on and people's emotional investment in it and act accordingly. To people who don't know his on-air persona, he comes off here as a self-entitled ass. To people he do, it looks like a joke in the worst taste possible. To anyone, it's someone who doesn't or can't appreciate the frustration felt by the majority of the people who have been protesting.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
With hockey players specifically though, they've been called out by Kane.
A loudmouth conducting loudmouth actions.

Rycroft isn't wrong though, a hailstorm would stop riots from breaking out.

He doubled down on the looters and the vandalism while suggesting that peaceful protesting is great. Quite frankly he's right. Protesting is very different compared to a lot of what's going on. And a lot of the vandalism and destruction that has occurred hasn't really been from people protesting, it's from anarchists who were just waiting for an opportunity to do something like this.
I respect the protestors, but the riots are using them as a cover especially with mob mentality. I saw a video of a bloke simply holding an American flag at one of the protests, an effin' flag saying nothing. One plug runs up and tries to grab the flag, the guy fights back, and then the whole mob mentality goes after the bloke with like 15 people stomping on him (some were most definitely protestors that are on the edge emotionally). The worst aspect in all of this is that majority of these shits will never be caught or charged with anything.

The most ridiculous thing I've seen is the Sacramento Kings PBP resigning after posting a little tweet of all lives matters.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The problem with a tweet like that from Rycroft is I can read and picture it in the tone of one of his intermission reports with that voice he does when he makes up some absurd turn of phrase to describe a play. I understand he has a personal business stake in a physical property in Colorado (or several, not sure) and lots of people in that position will be rightfully concerned about that being in jeopardy given some of the things that people having been doing over the past week, but as a public (of sorts) figure with a platform like this you need to understand and respect the nature of what's going on and people's emotional investment in it and act accordingly. To people who don't know his on-air persona, he comes off here as a self-entitled ass. To people he do, it looks like a joke in the worst taste possible. To anyone, it's someone who doesn't or can't appreciate the frustration felt by the majority of the people who have been protesting.
You spelled arse wrong. No, what's going on is you got emotional people on both sides making dumb decisions and comments. You can't watch the violent videos of the rioters hitting old ladies with 2x4 and not feel emotionally charged about it.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Sure it would, but read the room.
Not disagreeing, but thinking riots is a better alternative than a hailstorm is hilariously naive (not targeting you, more the twitter folks). The truly worst joke in all of this is similar to Ferguson that - though not as much - a lot of the businesses that are being set ablaze are actually owned by minorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad