OT: The Avalounge: Mmm... Steamed Yams!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Not sure if it's Covid or some extremely bad food poisoning but I'm not doing well health wise at all. Doctors don't know or won't treat. If I vanish to recover or something worse, fwiw, you guys have been great. Go Avs!

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Not sure if it's Covid or some extremely bad food poisoning but I'm not doing well health wise at all. Doctors don't know or won't treat. If I vanish to recover or something worse, fwiw, you guys have been great. Go Avs!
Back when this thing was starting up, I had real tedious night time stomach pains and stomach problems, together with night time shivers and a fever for about three days or so. It cleared up quick and I had nothing going on with my respiratory system, but I keep wondering if that was covid.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I will never forget NBC for making Steve Carell leave the Office.

Is this real?

Don't think any break is long enough for me to start watching Bundesliga.

You should... they have the 3 best players of all time playing.

I get it. Having to watch the finish NT after seeing the heights that the sport is capable of, must be painful.

The heights are in Argentina. But Kai isn't bad.

Reactions: cgf

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I must say I found Ben Sasse’s speach funny. Inapropriate but funny.

If you think that you sure do have a low bar for humor. He just sounded like someone's drunk racist uncle going on a rant. It's clear he did that to raise his profile for the upcoming election and he did so at the expense of a bunch of graduating kids. I always thought he was dumb, but I didn't realize he was vile until then.

Reactions: McMetal

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
If you think that you sure do have a low bar for humor. He just sounded like someone's drunk racist uncle going on a rant. It's clear he did that to raise his profile for the upcoming election and he did so at the expense of a bunch of graduating kids. I always thought he was dumb, but I didn't realize he was vile until then.
I like mean humour and it was so out of the blue that it made it funnier. Also his speach has to be taken with a grain of salt. People take life way too seriously, when its all a big joke. My Grandma used to say if you not worth a joke you ain’t worth much.:nod:

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I like mean humour and it was so out of the blue that it made it funnier. Also his speach has to be taken with a grain of salt. People take life way too seriously, when its all a big joke. My Grandma used to say if you not worth a joke you ain’t worth much.:nod:

Sorry, that kind of attitude is exactly what's landed us in the mess we're currently in. "Ignore them and they'll go away" or "Laugh it off" doesn't work anymore. A politician using hateful rhetoric (the China stuff was very calculated, it was not meant for comedic purposes) during a GRADUATION SPEECH is not "mean humour." It's just mean. The fact that it wasn't remotely clever makes it even more insulting.

Also, I co-run a mental health practice with psychologists in my employ who bust their asses to help people. When he insults them with a willfully ignorant statement (which, by the way, he followed up with "That's not a joke") that's not something I can take with a grain of salt.

I get that "outrage culture" is kind of a thing these days, but it's justified here. He's an arrogant jerk who commandeered something meant to help some teenagers who are missing out on the experience of graduation for his own purposes.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Sorry, that kind of attitude is exactly what's landed us in the mess we're currently in. "Ignore them and they'll go away" or "Laugh it off" doesn't work anymore. A politician using hateful rhetoric (the China stuff was very calculated, it was not meant for comedic purposes) during a GRADUATION SPEECH is not "mean humour." It's just mean. The fact that it wasn't remotely clever makes it even more insulting.

Also, I co-run a mental health practice with psychologists in my employ who bust their asses to help people. When he insults them with a willfully ignorant statement (which, by the way, he followed up with "That's not a joke") that's not something I can take with a grain of salt.

I get that "outrage culture" is kind of a thing these days, but it's justified here. He's an arrogant jerk who commandeered something meant to help some teenagers who are missing out on the experience of graduation for his own purposes.
You should’nt care what this guy says. Of course psychologist are important.

Like I said before, it’s inappropriate. But it was so out of the blue that it made me laugh.

I watched it again and he’s right on 2 two things: graduating high school is a meaningless accomplishment and it’s China’s fault for sure.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Like I said before, it’s inappropriate. But it was so out of the blue that it made me laugh.

I watched it again and he’s right on 2 two things: graduating high school is a meaningless accomplishment and it’s China’s fault for sure.

It's china's fault that americans are dumb?

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I don't want to get an infraction or have my posts deleted, so I'll stop from going any further and just say that I can't afford to just ignore this guy. He's a senator in my state and holds political power, and for some weird reason he continues to be popular in this region despite being a bumbling fool who isn't even that well liked by his own party.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Are you OK now?

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Hey guys, I believe some of you guys have worked in HR or in a managerial position, or otherwise in a field to which this is relevant, so I was wondering...

I'm graduating (MA) in a while and I'd like to contact a previous short-term employer with whom I've had a positive relationship, about potential work opportunities and as it happens, a potential PhD student position in the near future. However, while I know the executive director, my last stint with them was a while ago, and the people who I worked directly under aren't responsible for this kind of thing. How would you broach the subject?

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Hey guys, I believe some of you guys have worked in HR or in a managerial position, or otherwise in a field to which this is relevant, so I was wondering...

I'm graduating (MA) in a while and I'd like to contact a previous short-term employer with whom I've had a positive relationship, about potential work opportunities and as it happens, a potential PhD student position in the near future. However, while I know the executive director, my last stint with them was a while ago, and the people who I worked directly under aren't responsible for this kind of thing. How would you broach the subject?

I'm coming from the managerial perspective (we also are a training facility so we have MA- and PhD/PsyD-level positions). I don't think you're breaching any sort of protocol by reaching out to your best contact at the company. If you left a good impression with everyone then it sounds like they'd be interested in bringing you back in.

If you're asking about approach, I would try and make a phone call. Don't use email--it can be too easily dismissed and/or just slip through the cracks. Plus, a phone call is generally viewed more favorably than an email.

Reactions: UncleRisto

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I haven't been job searching from so I can't say from success, but I get reached out to a few times a year about openings at my company from friends or acquaintances. If I get a call I normally end up directing them to where they apply (big enough we have to be formal), and then I reach out to the hiring manager and let them know somebody is applying. I don't add any pressure to the hiring manager and I don't make any promises, but that tends to work for the people who are qualified. A lot of them get hired.

Of note here, I wouldn't expect somebody to go to bat for you. It is always nice, but there is so much risk if that blows up that people don't tend to want to do that. I've only done it on a select few occasions and it has still blown up on me before. There is too much risk without enough upside for people in their careers.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Are you OK now?

Not sure, it's progressing in the wrong direction. Going for more tests soon. Not Covid. I think it's some kind of heart issue that developed out of nowhere. Was also spitting up blood after just a bit of alcohol the other day.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
If you're asking about approach, I would try and make a phone call. Don't use email--it can be too easily dismissed and/or just slip through the cracks. Plus, a phone call is generally viewed more favorably than an email.

Personally if you called me out of the blue I'd be less interested. I'm so crazy busy I don't tend to accept those calls, let alone have the time to talk for long or remember to respond. I would try not to let it affect any decision, but I know myself well enough. I don't even like to call to place a delivery order.

If someone wanted a spot on my team or another team I'd follow what Hench said. Formally apply, reach out via email or LinkedIn and hope to be forwarded for a chance to have a scheduled phone call to chat. But every industry is different, which makes a one size fit all not likely.

Reactions: UncleRisto

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Coming from management perspective -

1) I think you should do it and I agree 100% with Poke. Call don’t email. Emails and texts don’t mean a lot to me these days. They’re informal and the way people use them - I just get inundated with junk. It’s the same on LinkedIn. It’s become Facebook and when I’m happily employed I never go on there.

2) Someone already stated it but someone sticking out their neck for you doesn’t go incredibly far. There’s a fine line between giving a recommendation and interfering with a hiring manager’s process. It’s usually a “hey if you’re needing a candidate this might be a good one”. Sometimes it’s enough to get you in the interview room. I wouldn’t expect much more than that. It’s on you from that point.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Not sure, it's progressing in the wrong direction. Going for more tests soon. Not Covid. I think it's some kind of heart issue that developed out of nowhere. Was also spitting up blood after just a bit of alcohol the other day.

:( Well that's no good. Hope they figure out what it is and get you on the frickin' mend...

I am BY NO MEANS a doctor but based on the info you've provided on here I'm guessing you might have an ulcer.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Meh... Poor timing for the joke but I dont think it's that bad. And he made a good point later on. It's one thing to protest against racism and against the recent events, nobody has issue with that and Ryker didnt have issue with that. It's a completely different thing to be looting and vandalizing local stores and buildings, setting fires throughout a city, etc. That's just completely uncalled for and deserves punishment.

People take social media too seriously, but some folks on here are like that and I really dont want to get into that conversation again so that's all I'll say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad