OT: The Avalounge - come to the dork side of the force; the cookies are all gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
You did say this generation.:laugh: I'm not against rap, I think there are a lot of underrated songs that never become popular, but again I gotta highly disagree mentioning Kanye and Fiasco. I think both of them are some of the worst rappers to ever see the light of day with Pitbull, Snoop, and Eminem. Only popular guy I can stand is Ludacris and Lil'John.

Not sure how you put Eminem in with Pitbull of all people. Is it the stupid profanity? Because Eminem is almost second to none in rhyming and all that.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I never come in this thread but i'm bored tonight :laugh:

As a rap lover I am absolutely amazed by your opinion, SEPH. I have no idea how you could put Lupe, Kanye and Eminem on the level of somebody like Pitbull. You're talking about some of the greatest rappers ever right there. Eminem is probably top 5-7 of all time. I don't like him personally but I appreciate what he does. Pitbull is radio trash. I don't think he even raps lol.

IF you want to hear good rap by somebody who's very intelligent and raps about real stuff go listen to J.Cole. I think he's the best in the world right now. After him is probably Kendrick. Kanye is different because he has created his own style which I appreciate. If you are able to appreciate his different style of rap you will consider him a great but if all you care about is catchy beats and funny rhymes you aren't going to like Kanye. Jay-Z is also one of the all time greats.

Also, Rap is not garbage today. It was garbage 5-10 years ago with the whole hip hop is dead era but there are some very very talented rappers out there right now. It's better than it's been in a long time.

Andre 3000 is right up there with BIG, Pac, Nas and Jay-Z for greatest ever.

The 2000's, especially 2004-2006 were some awesome years for hip hop.

And Eminem was a beast at rapping.

billybobjoe2112

Feb 2, 2010
Prince George B.C.
I love modern rock.

Also bands like Airbourne, Five Finger Death Punch, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Volbeat, Mastodon, Nickelback, Avenged Sevenfold, Alice In Chains, The Black Keys, Gaslight Anthem, Hollerado....

Last edited:

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Yall are forgetting about Talib Kweli, Mos Def, and the underground hip hop scene which is so amazing...
Cunning Lynguists, Dialated Peoples, blackalicious, Tech N9ne, and on and on and on

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Yall are forgetting about Talib Kweli, Mos Def, and the underground hip hop scene which is so amazing...
Cunning Lynguists, Dialated Peoples, blackalicious, Tech N9ne, and on and on and on

Well it's called underground for a reason. Definitely some gems in there though, yes.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Pantera, Metallica before the black album, and Alice in Chains, Tool, Korn, volbeat,incubus... Metal has been pretty solid throughout without too much stagnation

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Tech aint underground really. He's one of the best rappers out there.

Absolutely agree but he's def not mainstream and he plays a lot of small venues. I think he's finally gaining more recognition due to stupid guest appearances with the likes of lil Wayne but he's always been a small label guy

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
It's that attitude that shamed anyone that liked anything newer than Zeppelin.

Certainly don't feel like I was trying to shame u. I just hate how bands like the used and red jump suit apparatus became popular and the mainstream decided that was the direction they wanted everything to sound like with an emphasis on talented feminine sounding singers and a deemphasis on what makes rock true and gritty which would be its ties to rhythm and blues like the Rolling Stones nailed so well. Don't get me wrong I don't think new music is all terrible, it's just progressed towards a sound that I have no taste for personally. There are plenty of Indy rock bands that I still listen to such as the arctic monkeys the black keys the strokes etc. it's all political but I won't get too deep into that. It's the companies with all the money that decide what we as a collective people are exposed to the most and they decide who is going to become mainstream mainstays which seems to really kill the little guys that used to become rock and roll legends.
This is my last rant on the matter. Sorry for the tirade my fellow avs fans. Music is just something with which I'm very passionate.
Red hot chili peppers for life. That's a band that gets it, so funkadelic.
Psychedelic rock is still very much alive as well. Just very underground

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
That's rock's biggest problem is that nothing is cool enough to be popular. The backlash really started against grunge and it continued all the way through post-grunge and whatever you call the era now. The attitude against Nickelback and anything that isn't pure or is commercial has been going on for 30 years! Rock fans should be proud that the Black album is the highest selling album of all time!! That there was a balance between actual rock and commercial that satisfied a hell of a lot of people. But no, it wasn't pure enough. And there is a hell of a lot of shame. You can't admit you like one band in public that has had a song on the radio. I'm not saying you personally LD, you explained yourself well. But it's not ok what's happened to rock and the way that rock fans are treated. That's what really pisses me off. And for that reason rock is "dead" now.

I like EDM a lot too. It's much better than anything in the pop realm. It's ok to like disposable and fun pop. Everyone has their guilty pleasures and you hear people all the time say "I hear it all the time ugh...but it's catchy". If you try to rag on people for liking that garbage it's "oh don't take it so seriously". But GOD FORBID anyone like rock music that isn't directly descended from the 70s. And unless people are sitting in seedy clubs listening to some underground guys play at midnight live and in person to 15 people, then you are not pure and above it all yourself. We are all sellouts one way or another. We all need to hear music on the radio or on tv or on spotify or from friends. I'm probably better than a LOT of people that I've found a lot if artists by actually seeing them live and I've seen all my favorites live. These people that uphold the sanctity of rock probably play a lot of records at home and enjoy their arena tours in the plushy seats too. But hey I can admit I like commercial stuff. Sometimes it's nice to hear a melody from time to time or things don't have to be a lyrical masterpiece. Rock can be fun too. Who knew?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad