(The Athletic) NHL Front-office confidence rankings

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
5 months ago Tanev was one of the most wanted and respected shutdown D in the league, now he is a garbage contract. OEL played hard minutes for the cup winners including taking over top PP in the finals now he sucks.

*yawn* not to mention those other teams have signed terrible contracts and again, at least the Leafs are in the playoffs every year
Tanev is desirable. But not for 6 years at age 34.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB

Here is the list, read for the reasonings.

1. Florida
2. Dallas Stars
3. Tampa Bay
4. Utah
5. Vancouver
6. Montreal
7. New Jersey
8. Carolina
9. Colorado
10. Nashville
11. Vegas
12. Chicago
13. San Jose
14. Boston
15. Washington
16. Anaheim
17. New York
18. Calgary
19. Winnipeg
20. Philadelphia
21. Detroit
22. Ottawa
23, St Louis
24. Minnnesota
25. Edmonton
26. Buffalo
27. Seattle
28. Columbus
29. Pittsburgh
30. Toronto
31. Los Angeles
32. Islanders
The top 3 and 5 (of 6) of the top 11 teams are no state income tax franchises. Shocker!

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Pittsburgh, Chicago and LA all won multiple cups in the cap era and had state income tax. State tax is just one factor.

Yup it's just a lazy excuse. Plus, of LA's core in the early 2010's, only Doughty was a top 5 pick. Good teams and good management will find a way. Florida couldn't get anyone with any self-respect to come there for 20 years. Yandle and then Bobrovsky were really the first big name free agents to sign there since the 90's. Then Zito came into town, totally transformed everything from the ground up, and now everyone wants to play for the Florida Panthers.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I mean... you're allowed your opinion. But objectively, by like everything that can be measured and attempted to be ranked, Detroit is one of the most improved organizations of the last 5 years. The fact you are bringing up a random 2nd round pick as a negative just shows you are reaching for reasons. Most organizations have done far worse things the last few years than make a bad 2nd round pick.

Their improvement isn't impressive and there's many questions about the direction Yzerman is taking the team.

Free agency adds of Chairot, Copp, Holl, Compher are weak as hell. Even Tarasenko is this shiny toy but the reality is he's an old depth player at this point. Team should be making trades to add youth and energy to the guts of the line up but Yzerman keeps adding aging and overpriced players that only teams with extra CAP space can nab. And that's just it - all of this CAP space, prospects and draft picks and the improvement of the roster is just so...blah. The money spent on nothing impressive and no trades to feel a clear win that improves the roster. Also the head coaching decision is just....lame.

This year marks another year for Wings fans to wonder if they will actually see noticeable improvement. If you are pinning a good season on Patrick Kane, Vlad Senko being key contributors its just too thin...
The ranking for 21st feels accurate for Yzerman's work. Red Wing fans are a knowledgeable and great fanbase and they are not confident - ask yourself the same question.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
I mean... you're allowed your opinion. But objectively, by like everything that can be measured and attempted to be ranked, Detroit is one of the most improved organizations of the last 5 years. The fact you are bringing up a random 2nd round pick as a negative just shows you are reaching for reasons. Most organizations have done far worse things the last few years than make a bad 2nd round pick.
The Red Wings are an old team. I like Danielson and Ed but it feels like Detroit's most optimistic outcome is a consistent wildcard team. I guess I'll give them ASP too, but Detroit is relying on a bunch of prospects who don't score enough to be projected to be top 6/4 players to become top 6/4 players.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Uhh, I wouldn’t rank NYI last.

I have mixed views on Lou, and I have faith in ownership; they will pay to win, simply put.

Middle of the road.

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
5 months ago Tanev was one of the most wanted and respected shutdown D in the league, now he is a garbage contract. OEL played hard minutes for the cup winners including taking over top PP in the finals now he sucks.

*yawn* not to mention those other teams have signed terrible contracts and again, at least the Leafs are in the playoffs every year
5 months ago tanev was traded for a 2nd rounder

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Pittsburgh, Chicago and LA all won multiple cups in the cap era and had state income tax. State tax is just one factor.
Its the excuses made by mostly CAD team fans including my fellow leaf fans

People forget how meme worthy Panthers, Tampa, carolina (have taxes) Dallas were for most of mud 2000s and 2010s

Front office shakeup, cultyre shakeup, core shakeups and look at that, players buy down and take less to win

Boston is a tax state but seem to always get theur stars at great deals (pastrnak got a very good deal in a hart level year for example).

Oilers have built a strong team, they have Mcdavid advantage where guys are willing to take less to come play with a GOAT level player (hyman, Brown, Kane, etc).

High tax teams have advantages that arent discussed or ignored mostly due to bad cap management abd overpaying either depth players or core players for their teams resulting in constant playoff struggles

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Its the excuses made by mostly CAD team fans including my fellow leaf fans

People forget how meme worthy Panthers, Tampa, carolina (have taxes) Dallas were for most of mud 2000s and 2010s

Front office shakeup, cultyre shakeup, core shakeups and look at that, players buy down and take less to win

Boston is a tax state but seem to always get theur stars at great deals (pastrnak got a very good deal in a hart level year for example).

Oilers have built a strong team, they have Mcdavid advantage where guys are willing to take less to come play with a GOAT level player (hyman, Brown, Kane, etc).

High tax teams have advantages that arent discussed or ignored mostly due to bad cap management abd overpaying either depth players or core players for their teams resulting in constant playoff struggles

Agreed. The Canucks turned it around last season and we already have a lot of players taking discount contracts. Winning is the most attractive element for players.

Reactions: hamzarocks

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida

“Hard minutes” LMAOOOO. OEL was good for the Panthers but hard minutes is HILARIOUS.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Agreed. Just one factor… but a big one, as evident by the continued disproportionate success of these franchises. Obviously there are many factors that offer those markets significant advantages over “The Miracle Franchises”. Most of them would also rank high for comparable lifestyle, media irrelevance, social obscurity, weather and travel… all of which I consider the major deciding factors of today’s era of NHL player when they choose where they want to play and how much they are willing to play for.

I’m not dismissing the strong drafting of (formerly) Tampa Bay or (currently) Dallas but let’s not pretend these no-state tax don’t have a huge advantage that 26 other teams do not have.

It’s much easier to be considered competent when you have significant advantages over about 8-10 teams in the league who practically need a miracle to win a Cup.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I just like the fact Pittsburgh is ahead of Toronto. That must kill Leaf fans who blame all the playoff failings of the Leafs on Kyle Dubas.

I wonder if they did one for the Coaches, if the Pens aren't dead last in that, I call bullshit.

Pittsburgh @29 with Dubas (former Toronto) at the helm. @30 Leafs (nuff said - Treliving or not, Shanahan is the problem here), @32 Islanders with Lamiorello (former Toronto) at the helm.

Maybe a coincidence, but some I see some patterns...
How Pittsburgh isn't dead last at #32 being a steadily declining franchise is a shocker.

1. New ownership under FSG managed to alienate it's own mega icon (Mario Lemieux) who has basically stepped away from the team.

2. Hired a President of Hockey Operations/GM for whom failed elsewhere. (Kyle Dubas)

3. Backed and gave a long-term contract to the head coach who's been on the decline for some time and should be replaced. (Mike Sullivan)

4. Hasn't made the playoffs in two years, even though their top two players haven't missed a game.

5. Handed out career ending contracts to Evgeni Malkin and Kris Letang and traded away Sidney Crosby's/Penguins best winger while leaving Crosby's contract signing in the lurch....

Show "any" confidence in the teams overall outlook?

These are dark-times with no direction or purpose moving forward.

This is definitely a "Groundhog Day" moment in time.

xf70wKN.gif

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Agreed. Just one factor… but a big one, as evident by the continued disproportionate success of these franchises. Obviously there are many factors that offer those markets significant advantages over “The Miracle Franchises”. Most of them would also rank high for comparable lifestyle, media irrelevance, social obscurity, weather and travel… all of which I consider the major deciding factors of today’s era of NHL player when they choose where they want to play and how much they are willing to play for.

I’m not dismissing the strong drafting of (formerly) Tampa Bay or (currently) Dallas but let’s not pretend these no-state tax don’t have a huge advantage that 26 other teams do not have.

It’s much easier to be considered competent when you have significant advantages over about 8-10 teams in the league who practically need a miracle to win a Cup.

And other teams have other advantages, such as money, history, reputation, big city life, and other specific draws. John Tavares, one of the biggest free agents fish ever, wanted to be a Toronto Maple Leaf, and really didn't want to go anywhere else.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
And other teams have other advantages, such as money, history, reputation, big city life, and other specific draws. John Tavares, one of the biggest free agents fish ever, wanted to be a Toronto Maple Leaf, and really didn't want to go anywhere else.
The Rainjuhs also fall into this category as well (see: Artemi Panarin, Adam Fox) which is why I piss myself with laughter every time that glorified fanboy Larry Brooks cries about the unfair advantage teams in no tax states have.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Their improvement isn't impressive and there's many questions about the direction Yzerman is taking the team.

Free agency adds of Chairot, Copp, Holl, Compher are weak as hell. Even Tarasenko is this shiny toy but the reality is he's an old depth player at this point. Team should be making trades to add youth and energy to the guts of the line up but Yzerman keeps adding aging and overpriced players that only teams with extra CAP space can nab. And that's just it - all of this CAP space, prospects and draft picks and the improvement of the roster is just so...blah. The money spent on nothing impressive and no trades to feel a clear win that improves the roster. Also the head coaching decision is just....lame.

This year marks another year for Wings fans to wonder if they will actually see noticeable improvement. If you are pinning a good season on Patrick Kane, Vlad Senko being key contributors its just too thin...
The Red Wings are an old team. I like Danielson and Ed but it feels like Detroit's most optimistic outcome is a consistent wildcard team. I guess I'll give them ASP too, but Detroit is relying on a bunch of prospects who don't score enough to be projected to be top 6/4 players to become top 6/4 players.
You're both allowed your opinions, though I wonder how much you really followed the team.

The stretch run where Raymond went supernova and the team put up the most exciting hockey hockeytown has seen in a decade, enough to have the LCA rocking to the point Patrick Kane brought it up as a main reason to re-sign, is in your words translated into "blah", "old", "not impressive" etc.
Which you're allowed to think. And I'm allowed to view as fairly clueless.

The ranking for 21st feels accurate for Yzerman's work.
I only argued against a bottom 3 ranking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad