[The Athletic] Jeff Marek was let go because of allegedly leaking draft selections

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Digital Kid

Jun 5, 2015
Calgary
Marek will not be missed on 32 Thoughts. Friedman did an update podcast a week ago and it was perfectly fine. There are tons of people to speak to to be a co-host. The Hockey News had perfectly good guys over the years who sort of disappeared along the way, and there are so many others.

Not sure if David Amber is connected or not, but he could certainly feed questions to Friedman and it would be very listenable.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Marek will not be missed on 32 Thoughts. Friedman did an update podcast a week ago and it was perfectly fine. There are tons of people to speak to to be a co-host. The Hockey News had perfectly good guys over the years who sort of disappeared along the way, and there are so many others.

Not sure if David Amber is connected or not, but he could certainly feed questions to Friedman and it would be very listenable.
If you want Friedman to read his news to you then you can just read his article that comes out before the podcast with all the same info

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I have to believe the NHL will discourage their main partners from bringing him on... for a time anyway. So he may have to make his living on the fringes for a bit.
Yeah, he might join a podcast network for a year or two before returning to the main media. He’s probably on a “blacklist lite” currently.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA

I did miss him on the podcast and unsubscribed. Looking for a new Hockey Podcast now. Might give Drager's a try but I don't like Farraro.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Yeah, he might join a podcast network for a year or two before returning to the main media. He’s probably on a “blacklist lite” currently.
Seems like a petty reason to put someone through that.

Just another example of why the NHL is such a junior varsity operation.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Seems like a petty reason to put someone through that.

Just another example of why the NHL is such a junior varsity operation.
I dont think so.

If nhl is going to be going full on with gambling, they need to set standards with what’s acceptable to disclose by the media to friends. Just because nothing this time doesn’t mean it wont next time, and Marek or everyone is leaking privledged info could get emboldened by not having consequences. There needs to 100% be a zero tolerance on this stuff. I actually applaud for sportnet for this. Now if they would just stop ramming betting down our throats.

Reactions: PaulD

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I did miss him on the podcast and unsubscribed. Looking for a new Hockey Podcast now. Might give Drager's a try but I don't like Farraro.
Dreger kind of sucks when he has to talk for more than 5 minutes.

SDPN with Dangle and co kind of sucks as the other two are almost certainly not hard-core hockey fans like Dangle, so it just doesn't mesh.

The SDPN podcast with Godin and Basu is decent, but they primarily focus on the Habs.

Pierre LeBrun has one, got yer back, or something but I think it was with Brent Wallace who got hired by the sens ?

NHL Draft Class is mostly good, but that's just for prospects.

Daily Faceoff is OK. They're not afraid to throw out some expletives, but it's jot a common occurrence.

Marek was a little pompous with his corrections on certain sayings, but he has a wealth of unappreciated knowledge. I'd hope he'd do his own podcast about the history of the game.

Pro Hockey Alumni on YouTube does something like that giving you a lot of lesser players and their crazy back stories.

Did Sportsnet post his post selection interviews and take them down, or just never posted them ? I searched youtube, but couldn't find them

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

SDPN with Dangle and co kind of sucks as the other two are almost certainly not hard-core hockey fans like Dangle, so it just doesn't mesh.

The SDPN podcast with Godin and Basu is decent, but they primarily focus on the Habs.

Pierre LeBrun has one, got yer back, or something but I think it was with Brent Wallace who got hired by the sens ?

Daily Faceoff is OK. They're not afraid to throw out some expletives, but it's jot a common occurrence.

Marek was a little pompous with his corrections on certain sayings, but he has a wealth of unappreciated knowledge. I'd hope he'd do his own podcast about the history of the game.

Pro Hockey Alumni on YouTube does something like that giving you a lot of lesser players and their crazy back stories.

Did Sportsnet post his post selection interviews and take them down, or just never posted them ? I searched youtube, but couldn't find them
I find most hockey podcast sucks.

SDPN can be entertaining to listen to based on Dangles personality, but they get so much information wrong on teams that aren’t the Leafs. I like the the Chris Johnston show though.

What made 32 thoughts good was it didnt focus on one team like a lot of podcasts do, Marek will be easily replaceable if they want to. There are tons of guys to sit there and feed Eliotte questions.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Can’t listen to Dangle, with his screeching, he’s bad.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA

A lot of people who you would think would do a podcast have gone to Youtube now. I follow the Hockey Guy on Youtube and I wish he released them in Podcast form. It would allow me to listen while at the gym or on my walk.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Can’t listen to Dangle, with his screeching, he’s bad.
Dangle is best watched after a leaf loss.

The character is annoying, but i respect his hustle and goals with the SDPN. Knowing its a character not some lunatic helps me process his lunacy.

A lot of people who you would think would do a podcast have gone to Youtube now. I follow the Hockey Guy on Youtube and I wish he released them in Podcast form. It would allow me to listen while at the gym or on my walk.
THG hustle is great. He tries to be all things to all people and i think he strikes the right balance. I genuinely enjoy watching his News of the day videos , previews and reviews. His power rankings are pretty good too and generally stays true to his criteria for them.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Not technically a hockey podcast but TSN overdrive is my go to. More entertaining than informative but they have some good nuggets on occasion.

Reactions: KBobs

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Not technically a hockey podcast but TSN overdrive is my go to. More entertaining than informative but they have some good nuggets on occasion.
Noodles and Oniel are pretty good.
Hayes has his moments but for the most part he's a big jock sniffer.
.........and John (Douchebag) Derringers nephew.

Last edited:

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I dont think so.

If nhl is going to be going full on with gambling, they need to set standards with what’s acceptable to disclose by the media to friends. Just because nothing this time doesn’t mean it wont next time, and Marek or everyone is leaking privledged info could get emboldened by not having consequences. There needs to 100% be a zero tolerance on this stuff. I actually applaud for sportnet for this. Now if they would just stop ramming betting down our throats.
He was fired. That should be consequences enough.

Again, only a bush league operation like the NHL would go farther.

I'm rooting for Marek. Here's hoping he bounces back and thrives.

Reactions: brentashton

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Noodles and Oniel are pretty good.
Hayes has his moments but for the most part he's a big jock sniffer.
.........and John (Douchebag) Derringers nephew.
Yeah Hayes obviously doesn’t have the athletic bona fides of the other two but he’s good in his role IMO.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
Jeff who ?

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad