[The Athletic] Jeff Marek was let go because of allegedly leaking draft selections

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
The NHL whored itself out to the gambling companies. Pinto was nearly banned from the sport. The NHLPA got involved and they negotiated a 40 game suspension for Pinto. Marek lost his job. You can't watch a game without a gambling commercial being shoved in your face or some in game sponsorship. The number of goals scored in the third period is 3. Make sure you place your wager.
Fan Duel dot com odds at the top of your screen baby!

Reactions: Leafshater67

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Sediel has been doing this for the past 5 years, he's gotten the entire 1st round almost unanimously correct since 2019. NHL isn't unaware of a guy working for the Belleville Bulls going 20/20 on who is being picked minutes before the pick is made for years.

Hasn't been an issue until this year, and it makes sense with gambling having a stranglehold on sports and the draft happening in Vegas with the Nevada Gaming Commision
Who knows how he got that info in the past but based on the article it's clear he got it from Marek this year which is obviously unacceptable for the league.

Reactions: Sinbad

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
It was Frank Seravalli, and I think one of the repercussions was his exit from TSN as a result.
No I don't believe so, I'm pretty sure the Seattle expansion draft was basically the first thing Seravalli covered once he jumped ship to start his own thing at Daily Faceoff.

Is the faux-pas here by Marek essentially that he was considered to be giving insider gambling info or why is this fireable?

Reactions: DaveG

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Wait, I’m confused (and I guess naive) with this whole situation.

Marek knew who teams were already taking beforehand? Like what if San Jose decided Demidov was worthy over Celebrini?
That's what I'm thinking. This really takes away from the excitement of the draft. And if that's true, why the whole waiting game for the Minnesota-Philly exchange that took a decade. Maybe I'm missing something here.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Who knows how he got that info in the past but based on the article it's clear he got it from Marek this year which is obviously unacceptable for the league.
The NHL knows, but they never had the gaming commision down their necks. The info is given to Sportsnet minutes before the draft, Seidel has been accurately getting picks right minutes before the draft. Not exactly a mystery.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Punishment seems overly harsh for the alleged “crime” IMO. Still, seems like leaking info in this instance would be serious enough that Marek’s employer was probably within their rights to fire him (if all this is true). Just kind of a bummer all around.
I think the league had an agreement with the network to not "leak " info because believe it or not, people bet on who the 5th pick will be etc

The league opened this Pandora's box as has been astutely stated by another poster by getting in bed with gambling entities

It's only a matter of time before game fixing will be an issue with players, refs or C all of the above

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
That's what I'm thinking. This really takes away from the excitement of the draft. And if that's true, why the whole waiting game for the Minnesota-Philly exchange that took a decade. Maybe I'm missing something here.
He/Sportsnet are informed a miute or two before the pick is made, so Sportnets can have the highlight package, camera crews, and interviews ready to go.

Reactions: CanadienShark

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Who the hell is giving Marek their draft selections in the first place?

Our local media at times doesn't have an idea what our team is doing let alone a guy out of market like Marek

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
So essentially it sounds like this guy Seidel sewered his buddy by not waiting like, a minute and a half extra to tweet out the picks?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Who the hell is giving Marek their draft selections in the first place?

Our local media at times doesn't have an idea what our team is doing let alone a guy out of market like Marek
The NHL....

So essentially it sounds like this guy Seidel sewered his buddy by not waiting like, a minute and a half extra to tweet out the picks?
He's been doing it for years with no problem, it became a problem because the draft was in Vegas and Gambling has the NHL by its throat

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Wait, I’m confused (and I guess naive) with this whole situation.

Marek knew who teams were already taking beforehand? Like what if San Jose decided Demidov was worthy over Celebrini?
Then Grier would be classified as an idiot for not trading down

HEY---wait a sec!! wait just one second here. What a great idea! Make everyone THINK you're taking player A then go to fan duel dot com at the top of the screen and bet on player B being the pick, take him and cash the freak in!!

College Basketball and Tim Donaghy say word up!

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So essentially what the prior speculation said.

He literally just shared insider information. Didn't really do anything bad. Maybe shouldn't have leaked to a friend, but far from a terrible crime as there was no real gain.

NHL got big mad because they hate anything thats good in their sport. You have to wonder if NHL owners are deeply unhappy people with how they constantly suppress their product. And now the sport is without one of its best personalities.

Thanks once again, NHL.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
People don't seem to understand the fundamental difference between this and Seravalli leaking the expansion draft or Corey Pronman tweeting the picks out a few minutes early during the Zoom draft.

Marek works for the rights holder and was being informed of the selections by the NHL before they were officially announced in order to facilitate on-air interviews with the prospects. Leaking that information is not legitimate reporting.
He did nothing that anyone truly cares about, unless you work in the league and are mad your secret got out a few minutes early. Boo-hoo.

Doesn't have to be legitimate reporting. What's the loss of any of it? Further, what percentage of people do you think are in favor of suppressing the news?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
So essentially what the prior speculation said.

He literally just shared insider information. Didn't really do anything bad. Maybe shouldn't have leaked to a friend, but far from a terrible crime as there was no real gain.

NHL got big mad because they hate anything thats good in their sport. You have to wonder if NHL owners are deeply unhappy people with how they constantly suppress their product. And now the sport is without one of its best personalities.

Thanks once again, NHL.
Marek probably should have stopped sharing to Seider years ago when it was obvious he was leaking the picks

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
The NHL....

He's been doing it for years with no problem, it became a problem because the draft was in Vegas and Gambling has the NHL by its throat
But it doesn't sound like there was even enough time for the leaks to have a gambling implication? Firing just feels so dramatic

Viggo Mortensen

Gandalf the Grey
Dec 14, 2008
Gondor
Ive been doing live betting on 1st round picks minutes before they locked the bet, thanks to Seidel's ''hunch'', obviously wasn't aware he was being fed info from his buddy. I really thought he just had tons of connections that would tell him ''we're leaning here or there''. I has worked well for me over the past 2-3 years. Now I know why lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00