The Arizona State Land Department has cancelled the Phoenix land auction

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Woah. When it was on record saying he was the only bidder I figured he would be the eventual winner.

I really do wonder if a hockey team to ever be in Arizona if it will have to be a different owner. They may just not want him specifically at this point.

@HolyCrap what a name!

Looks like Merulo needed to obtain a Special Use Permit prior to the auction and didn't get it, so there was no bid they could proceed with. So Merulo Merulo'd it.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
1719002890752.png

They want him to get the zoning/use permit before the auction moves forward. And i don't blame them for delaying it. Basically they don't want the land to sit there and do nothing if the auction moves forward and he wins the land but is denied permits. Permitting process was always a big step in getting anything built.

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
I might be crazy but Im pretty certain Bettman and the NHL are fine with this. They don’t want Meruelo to succeed because he’s a shady and terrible owner. They will return to AZ in 10+ years after all the drama dies down, people forget how incompetent the Yotes were, Meruelo is out of the picture, arena is approved to be built or already built, etc. It will be an Atlanta situation but wont take as long.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
From what it sounds like, they don't trust Meruelo or his plans for the land (because let's face it, why would they?), so they're forcing him to get a permit to legitimize his plans for the land before selling it to him.

Meruelo probably won't do that.

Its just changing the order of the steps Meruelo needs to complete. He would had to get the permits ANYWAYS regardless of when the auction happens. Remember the winner of the aucton isn't allowed to own the land and have it sit there doing nothing.

There is no guarantees the city of phx would had granted him the zoning and permits.

Last edited:
Reactions: LuckyDay

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan

Looks like Merulo needed to obtain a Special Use Permit prior to the auction and didn't get it, so there was no bid they could proceed with. So Merulo Merulo'd it.
I imagine if they wanted him. They could have reminded him to get a special permit and get it all sorted before the 27th.

Reactions: Nowotny

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
"Come back with the proper permit" is so common in state proceedings that I don't think this weighs on the chances of an arena in Arizona. It just delays the process.

On the other hand, if Merulo is denied the permit... that'd be something.

he would still need to get the permit anyways even if he gotten the land next week. No matter what the project is or how project is funded there is still some city process to it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I might be crazy but Im pretty certain Bettman and the NHL are fine with this. They don’t want Meruelo to succeed because he’s a shady and terrible owner. They will return to AZ in 10+ years after all the drama dies down, people forget how incompetent the Yotes were, Meruelo is out of the picture, arena is approved to be built or already built, etc. It will be an Atlanta situation but wont take as long.
I would agree that the NHL probably are happy if AM can't deliver an arena.

Timing wise, the Suns lease expires in 2037, so we are about a decade away in 2034 before serious talks between the Suns and the City have to take place on what to do with the arena. Will it just be an NBA only one or will the Suns owner (whomever that may be in a decade) wants to own an NHL team or not? I think that's their best shot of returning to AZ, not a separate arena from the NBA suns.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
View attachment 885288

They want him to get the zoning/use permit before the auction moves forward. And i don't blame them for delaying it. Basically they don't want the land to sit there and do nothing if the auction moves forward and he wins the land but is denied permits. Permitting process was always a big step in getting anything built.
It sounds like red tape. The AZ State Land Dept. is in charge of auctioning the land, but who's in charge of supplying the permit? What would be the holdup in granting one?

Reactions: DaveG and cptjeff

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
It sounds like red tape. The AZ State Land Dept. is in charge of auctioning the land, but who's in charge of supplying the permit? What would be the holdup in granting one?

City of phx would be in charge of any zoning changes and permit granting which he would had to go through anyways regardless of the land being acquired now or acquired after the city approved the zoning/granting the permits.

This is normal for these things.

Remember no one is allowed to acquire the land through auction and just have it sit there. They want to make sure who ever wins it in this case AM that he follow through with what he plan on doing and the only thing that would prevent that is lack of proper zoning/permits.

Reactions: DaveG and LuckyDay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad