TV: The All - Encompassing Star Trek Thread. Debate Long + Prosper

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Honestly, almost anything that has ever involved Section 31 has been pretty bad, even in DS9.
At least in DS9 it was a secretive organization that didn't want to be seen or noticed and acted with subtlety. This Section 31 show is centered around a cannibalistic genocidal warlord who is now being played for laughs and sympathy.

Seedtype

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
I guess I have to thank Star Trek: Into Darkness. If I hadn't realize that Kurtzman was such a hack I would've wasted so much money and time on this era of Star Trek.

I still think the universe has a lot of potential, and I heard it hasn't been all bad... but yeah. No regrets, heh.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Strange New Worlds is okay and I actually like Lower Decks but...

Could it be possible that Section 31 will be even worse than STD? I think so.
This ain't Star Trek anymore... and I won't be watching.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I don't think Gene would really recognize any of this.
Gene kind of sucked so who cares.

Edit: Not to say anything made since 2009 is particularly good. The first of the nuTrek was... okay and I really dig SNW, but the rest has been trash. That being said, I just don't really want to lionize "what Gene would want" because ST is bigger than him.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
He came up with a progressive, idealistic vision of the future that still resonates decades later.

These latest offerings are just generic science-fiction crap.
Made an edit because I realized it was a drive by without context. But the new ST sucking and "what Gene would want" are kind of two different discussions.

Reactions: Cas

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The tossed away the Star Trek Bible that DC Fontana wrote about what Gene's Trek was about the moment Bad Robot came on Board

I can understand wanting to branch out and try some new things, DS9 being a pretty audacious example, but what I’m seeing now is completely unrecognizable.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Strange New Worlds is okay and I actually like Lower Decks but...

Could it be possible that Section 31 will be even worse than STD? I think so.
This ain't Star Trek anymore... and I won't be watching.

I'll second the vote for Lower Decks. Fun comedy with a ton of inside jokes that doesn't take itself seriously and yet shows off a deep love for the franchise.

Not everyone's cup of tea but it's a fun self parody in my books.

Other than that, there's been some good and some bad, but mostly just a lot of generic meh that seems more disappointing to me as someone who, if I'm being honest, just wanted more TNG/DS9/VOY. I know I'm old but this just ain't my jam.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I despise Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks.

Prodigy is the only P+ Trek that I think is okay.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

"Strange New Worlds is different. There’s less emphasis on story, more on being the right kind of show. Most of the screen time is devoted to fan service and contrived personal issues; what little remains for plot is rushed and simplistic, almost an afterthought, with shallow concepts and tacked-on progressive themes. The crew are less like individuals than demographic avatars (non-toxic male leader, trauma survivor), whose most profound quality is being really really excited to be on Star Trek."

This article is from last year, but I think it does a great job of articulating the problems with SNW.

Reactions: Osprey

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I can understand wanting to branch out and try some new things, DS9 being a pretty audacious example, but what I’m seeing now is completely unrecognizable.
DS9 was darker and grittier than TNG or TOS and tackled issues even those shows wouldn't touch, but it worked because there was still the underlying themes of Star Trek.

Reactions: Seedtype and NyQuil

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
DS9 was darker and grittier than TNG or TOS and tackled issues even those shows wouldn't touch, but it worked because there was still the underlying themes of Star Trek.
IDK if anyone is familiar with the Culture series, but DS9 feels like an example of that. What goes on at the borders of a utopia type of discussion.

Obviously the Dominion War and specifically In the Pale Moonlight really accentuate the moral greyness of that.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It just occurred to me that I haven't watched any new Star Trek in two years, not since Picard S2 and Strange New Worlds S1. I just don't have the motivation anymore. In contrast, despite how equally critical I am of Star Wars, I've continued to watch each new show and season. For some reason, I can manage to laugh at how far Star Wars has fallen, but how far Star Trek has isn't funny. Maybe it's because it's only sad to lose great fiction, but depressing to lose a great future.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnjm22

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It just occurred to me that I haven't watched any Star Trek in two years, since Picard S2 and Strange New Worlds S1. I just don't have the motivation. In contrast, despite how equally critical I am of Star Wars, I've continued to watch every new show and season. For some reason, I can laugh at how far Star Wars has fallen, but how far Star Trek has is more painful to watch. Maybe it's because it's only sad to lose great fiction, but depressing to lose a great future.
Surprised they didn't go to time periods after the end of Voyager. All but the animated ones went to a prior timeline, save for the time jump of Discovery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad