The All encompassing Rant thread II: Rant City

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
In the business world - there are "safe" moves, and "hi-risk" moves. Smart organizations (or GM's/POHO) have enough maturity to understand where they are at, evaluate the risks, and then make a smart decision. Those team understand the risks, make plans to mitigate it, and then proceed. Poor GM's/POHO's are like goldfish with a 3 second attention span, see a bright shiny object, and then decide to make a move because they are smarter than everyone else.

As a brand new GM with a young team, the "safe" move is hiring an experienced NHL coach who has delivered results in the past (Laviolette, Hartley, even Bodreau). The "hi-risk" move is giving some AHL guy with no history a shot.

MacT swung for the fences, when from my perspective the Oilers absolutely COULD NOT afford to strike out. The Oilers had a REALLY young core that needed a guy who understood what it takes to win the league, effectively implement a team strategy, and could help them mature and develop. That is what makes the hiring Eakins such a TERRIBLE decision that is just gutting this franchise.

When you make a "Hi-Risk" move and it turns out - you look like a genius (Desjardin in VAN). When you strike out with Eakins, you end up getting "fixed".

"Swung for the fences?" I think he broke his leg coming out of the dugout.:laugh:

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
2007:

Scott Howson - Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations
Howson_DEV_7535150x200.JPG

Is it just me or does Howson look like Dean Travers? Anyone old like me and know who I'm referring to? Think late 70's, early 80's sitcom:laugh:

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Red Wings fan here. That bolded part is the most troubling one. As long as Darryl Katz stays inert, nothing changes. For him, having the essential old boy network present is far more important than competence within the front office. That's somewhat similar to how Bill Wirtz ran the Blackhawks. Being loyal to Wirtz was the main factor when hiring hockey people, not competence.

Here's the bleak scenario: If Katz doesn't purge his dear old boy buddies, the Oilers are in for a similar path the Red Wings went through. Bruce Norris owned the team from 1952 to 1983 when Mike Illitch took over. The Red Wings averaged 66!!! points from 1966 to 1982.

I wasn't around back then. Maybe fans pondered that player X is a favourite of the GM, so he got gifted with ice time without earning it. Several young players were rushed into lineup way too early. Certain glaring deficiencies in the roster were not addressed. The defence did not have enough quality veterans. All those faults are symptoms of the biggest problem. Lack of accountability, just like the Oilers fan said in that Youtube-video. The owner is the only one who can correct that by his actions. Hiring a competent president and GM and supplant the irreplaceable cronies.

Until Darryl Katz hires a new president and GM, I'm afraid nothing changes. In Katz's tenure, the Oilers have averaged 73 points in seven seasons. That's better than the Red Wings during their era of suck, but the Oilers' current trend is directly downwards. I wonder if it will take nine more years for Katz to sack his vital golf buddies Lowe and MacT.

Oilers are worst the the Wings in points as they play more games now and have those 3 point loser games.

I can easily see 10 more years of this garbage assuming the team stays in Edmonton that long.Maybe the fans can boycott the team and that would force Katz's hand, but then he may move the team. So right now I see no hope for the Oilers.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
In the business world - there are "safe" moves, and "hi-risk" moves. Smart organizations (or GM's/POHO) have enough maturity to understand where they are at, evaluate the risks, and then make a smart decision. Those team understand the risks, make plans to mitigate it, and then proceed. Poor GM's/POHO's are like goldfish with a 3 second attention span, see a bright shiny object, and then decide to make a move because they are smarter than everyone else.

As a brand new GM with a young team, the "safe" move is hiring an experienced NHL coach who has delivered results in the past (Laviolette, Hartley, even Bodreau). The "hi-risk" move is giving some AHL guy with no history a shot.

MacT swung for the fences, when from my perspective the Oilers absolutely COULD NOT afford to strike out. The Oilers had a REALLY young core that needed a guy who understood what it takes to win the league, effectively implement a team strategy, and could help them mature and develop. That is what makes the hiring Eakins such a TERRIBLE decision that is just gutting this franchise.

When you make a "Hi-Risk" move and it turns out - you look like a genius (Desjardin in VAN). When you strike out with Eakins, you end up getting "fixed".

that move, his first move as a GM, will not only cost him his GM career, it will cost him any future employment in the NHL, unless he can get a job as a scout.

Same goes for Lowe and Eakins. this is their last NHL job

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
If we hired Gretzky I would officially give up on the Oilers. How do you think he is a good idea?

1) he's king of the old boys club. Maybe you've heard of it?
2) he couldn't do **** all with the Coyotes
3) has no experience in winning (yes Lowe I'm aware of the cups)

Finally, why is this even a thread? I apologize if you are new to hockey or the oilers which you appear to be

End rant

This, this, this. Do not hire Gretzky. Do not hire Gretzky. Do not hire Gretzky.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Sobering facts:

Johnny Hockey (20 pts) is out scoring RNH (17 pts), Hall (17 pts) and Eberle (16 pts). Not too bad for a player many Oiler fans thought was a bust.

Giordano (27 pts) has more points than the entire Oilers defence (26 pts)
When you add in Brodie (20 pts) + Wideman (17pts) the top 3 Flames defenders have more points than the top 3 Oilers forwards.

Wow.

Now I don't think for a minute that the Flames can maintain this pace but they have put themselves in a great position to make the playoffs in only the 2nd year of their rebuild.

If they go .500 for the rest of the season they will finish with 91 points.

Got to take my hat off to them. :handclap:

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Mac or Jack let’s Come back 2015

It is very obvious that MacTavish is jackass. He iced purposefully the team that is composed more than less from players that belong to development league. He will not bring here this season a center, starting goalie or top pairing defenseman. He just wants to be sure that the Oilers will draft either John Eichel or Connor McDavid. This will happen if the Oilers will be in the last spot in the final standings.
This means long losing streaks and seeing some veterans to be shipped out of town prior to deadline. Are you guys buying out this plan? What would you do for the team? Are there really any other alternatives available for the Oil anymore? Only way I can be involved with Oilers this season is speculating who will be traded and who will be drafted maybe who are keepers.

kickaction

Dec 4, 2014
It is very obvious that MacTavish is jackass. He iced purposefully the team that is composed more than less from players that belong to development league. He will not bring here this season a center, starting goalie or top pairing defenseman. He just wants to be sure that the Oilers will draft either John Eichel or Connor McDavid. This will happen if the Oilers will be in the last spot in the final standings.
This means long losing streaks and seeing some veterans to be shipped out of town prior to deadline. Are you guys buying out this plan? What would you do for the team? Are there really any other alternatives available for the Oil anymore? Only way I can be involved with Oilers this season is speculating who will be traded and who will be drafted maybe who are keepers.

With exception to finding more NHL centers, what exactly could we have done to get a top pairing defenseman or goalie? It's not like these are readily traded parts.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
At this point why not continue the endless cycle for McEichel.

The only issue will be a few more shoulder surgeries due to how hard we tend to throw in the towel.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
With exception to finding more NHL centers, what exactly could we have done to get a top pairing defenseman or goalie? It's not like these are readily traded parts.

Ribeiro (UFA) and Brodziak (trade) were available. We could have trade for Tyler Myers. I think he did this for purpose. I also see his point when the team starts winning he will trade future assets for immediate help.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
The Lowe Facebook page is accepting donations through GoFundMe to put this letter to Daryl Katz in the Edmonton Sun:

1wFW1Kf.jpg

http://www.gofundme.com/icg018

I just threw $20 in. In two days it's up to $1,405 of the $5,700 needed. The comment section of the donations is funny.

$10 Wayne Gretzky
I always thought K-Low was a terrible defenseman and Mac-T only ever earned his name on the cup from riding my coat tails. #lowemustgo

$10 Taylor Goodspeed
I know a thing or two about donating, if there's any concern.

$50 Ralph Krueger
I hope the boys on the bus get hit by a train.

$20 Kevin Lowe
I agree, I'm terrible!

$5 Brian Burke
Damn rights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad