Rumor: The All Encompassing Patrik Laine Thread (it’s happening!!)

What would you give for Laine?

• Struble or Harris or Barron and a 2nd- no retention

Votes: 123 48.4%
  • Calgary’s 1st at 50% retention

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Calgary’s 1st and one of Struble/Harris/Barron at 50% retention

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Don’t want Laine at all he’s weird looking

Votes: 82 32.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
thus the retained salary by CBJ

I was referring to the post below.

Ok here goes, in 2 years we re-sign Laine at 9m and this is our roster.
Caufield (7.85) - Suzuki (7.875) - Slafkovsky (7.6)
Laine (9.0) - Dach (8.0) - Demidov (0.95)
Roy (3.0) - Beck (0.85) - Newhook (2.9)
Kapanen (0.925) - Xhekaj (0.87) - Tuch (0.95)
Plug A (0.9)
Plug B (0.8)

Reactions: sampollock

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
On Marinaro last night, Eric Engels said the Habs have minimal interest if any in Laine, and that he’s asked around. A combination of his price tag, his poor play (other than goal scoring), and not wanting to jeopardize the good chemistry they have in the room. Says if Habs take him, they’ll probably be asking for a sweetener rather than offer something back.

So maybe we close this thread?
Gee Swifty where have we read something similar almost friggin' verbatim. :sarcasm:

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
They've targeted next year as the year to really push the roster forward. I think they are just being intentional about who they target and at what term and cost. They really don't want to throw road blocks in the way of internal growth and what will make us a sustainably successful team.
"And next year is even more important" Jeff Gorton season end presser.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
He will be unaffordable because he will ask for more than Suzuki which I don't believe Hughes would pay, not even mentioning what are cap would be after resigning a lot more of our young guys.

Why are you assuming we would get more than we pay? A TDL rental is surely less valuable than someone signed.
If he asks for more than what Suzuki makes, but hasn't done enough to earn it. Then I don't think he'd be re-signed. If he surpasses Suzuki, and deserves to be paid more. That's a wonderful problem to have, and yes I think he would be re-signed.

I would assume that because I don't believe we'd give up much, if we were to obtain Laine. If he plays at say 70% of his potential this year for us. I don't think it would be a problem to trade him for say a 1st rd pick and a decent prospect at the TDL. If we eat 50% of his salary. He would really have to shit the bed, to have a lower value, than he has right now.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
24 pages for a player that will never play for the Habs. Haha.

My favourite part about this is that any insider that says he isn't gonna be a Hab 'knows nothing' or is a clown but the posters here know better. The irony is simply delicious.
I don't think I've seen anyone say Hughes will be pursuing Laine despite what insiders say. It seems pretty obvious that unless it's a price/contract situation that makes sense for us, we won't be going for him. He's a very flawed player who can't be counted on to be healthy.

Reactions: mdk

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
I don't think I've seen anyone say Hughes will be pursuing Laine despite what insiders say. It seems pretty obvious that unless it's a price/contract situation that makes sense for us, we won't be going for him. He's a very flawed player who can't be counted on to be healthy.
Yes, it should be obvious but I've read some posters ready to give a 1st, Struble and + for him despite insiders pretty much all agreeing that Laine has negative value at the moment.

Aces on the road

Oct 27, 2020
Odd to include Pezzetta there. He's 26, no reason to believe he's going to regress ability -wise. I doubt he'll see the ice time he got last year, so his numbers should drop, but I'd be surprised if regresses performance-wise.

Dvorak can't really do much worse unless he's injured again.

Armia, Gally & Anderson are expensive depth players. They should see much less ice time next year unless injuries to top 6 players hamner us again next year

U25.

Was Slaf, or Newhook, or Suzuki, or Caufield or Guhle the same player in April 2024 as they were in April 2023, let alone Sept 2022?

Progression from our U25 core, as a whole, is all but inevitable, even though a few individuals may well step back (since young players don't progress in a straight line).

If he "does well" it's because he's healthy, no?

I don't particularly care for Laine specifically, but think about what you are saying here...

If he "does well", by his talent level, we've got a 40goal ppg force added to our group... And the cap room to extend him if they asses him to be a long term fit. I may be dense, but I'm Not sure how that's a negative :dunno:

Agree. I think they will be aggressive, and decisive, in acquiring a key piece when it fits. Until then they will be content to kick tires on opportunities that don't compromise the overall direction. Patience. Commitment to building a culture of excellence.

Exactly what we've sorely lacked for far too long in this organization.
Armia is not expensive

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
On Marinaro last night, Eric Engels said the Habs have minimal interest if any in Laine, and that he’s asked around. A combination of his price tag, his poor play (other than goal scoring), and not wanting to jeopardize the good chemistry they have in the room. Says if Habs take him, they’ll probably be asking for a sweetener rather than offer something back.

So maybe we close this thread?

This is more Engels opinion vs actual information. If any fan thinks the GM's are going to tell reporters this kind of deep context, I don't know what to tell them. So because he has asked around, that makes it the 100% truth and everyone is open transparent? I don't think so

Hughes is interested IMO, but he's just not going to overpay. Probably sending Anderson in the package with some combo of futures from an area we are strong. If we add Laine, I prefer to keep Dvorak and Armia for depth. Anderson is the logical one to be in this package. Jackets don't like it? Too bad, we move on.

I really like how Hughes holds his ground. Very active but not desperate. If there is no trade that fits this summer, lets see what changes during the season.

This might be Hughes offer:
* Laine (Full 2 year contract)
for
* Anderson (50% retention)
* Pieces like Harris, Mesar, Farrell, Heineman.
* Possible 2nd rounder

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
This is more Engels opinion vs actual information. If any fan thinks the GM's are going to tell reporters this kind of deep context, I don't know what to tell them. So because he has asked around, that makes it the 100% truth and everyone is open transparent? I don't think so

Hughes is interested IMO, but he's just not going to overpay. Probably sending Anderson in the package with some combo of futures from an area we are strong. If we add Laine, I prefer to keep Dvorak and Armia for depth. Anderson is the logical one to be in this package. Jackets don't like it? Too bad, we move on.

I really like how Hughes holds his ground. Very active but not desperate. If there is no trade that fits this summer, lets see what changes during the season.

This might be Hughes offer:
* Laine (Full 2 year contract)
for
* Anderson (50% retention)
* Pieces like Harris, Mesar, Farrell, Heineman.
* Possible 2nd rounder

I would do that package. I think if Hughes has any interest in Laine, he'll only acquire him if at least 1.2M is retained, to keep his salary below 7.5M, for the sake of the salary structure of the team.

It would be nice to see how Laine could do with Dach. But I don't think Hughes wants Laine.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Yes, it should be obvious but I've read some posters ready to give a 1st, Struble and + for him despite insiders pretty much all agreeing that Laine has negative value at the moment.
I’ve seen that kind of package if Laine was retained or if we included a cap dump like Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad