Rumor: The All Encompassing Patrik Laine Thread (it’s happening!!)

What would you give for Laine?

• Struble or Harris or Barron and a 2nd- no retention

Votes: 123 48.4%
  • Calgary’s 1st at 50% retention

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Calgary’s 1st and one of Struble/Harris/Barron at 50% retention

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Don’t want Laine at all he’s weird looking

Votes: 82 32.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You can't make this stuff up.
Yeah you can. It’s total nonsense to say people want the team to TRY to lose now. It’s a bullshit statement that is poorly designed to frame this as - if you don’t want this trade it means you want to come in last. It’s absolutely silly. Dumb. But not surprising that it still happens here.

Laine comes with risk. It all comes down to how much they want for him. And even then he might still not be worth it. I don’t think teams are knocking down the doors to get this guy.

Well this board was claiming we had our Lars Eller replacement when DLR played his first 33 games and amassed 6 points. So you were likely in the minority.
That’s what our coach believed anyway. What a f***ing idiot that guy was.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Well this board was claiming we had our Lars Eller replacement when DLR played his first 33 games and amassed 6 points. So you were likely in the minority.

I was never in favor of getting excited about size when I haven't seen the skill. I remember also saying I wasn't yet excited about McCarron after he went on a heater in London. Many also attacked that post.

But I will say, unfortunately, I do view size as more important than I used to. NHL rinks are so narrow. There's not much room out there. I'd rather see a more open game where hockey sense and expression rule, the kind of game Gretzky, Kariya, and hopefully Demidov play. But today big teams tend to get through playoff rounds.

Reactions: DAChampion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

It was perfectly legitimate to think that DLR had bottom six potential. There was a credible argument to be made based on his maturity, skating, size, and defensive IQ. Similarly today it's legitimate to think that Kapanen had bottom six potential.

But if you can trade a potential third liner for a potential first liner, you do it.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Yeah you can. It’s total nonsense to say people want the team to TRY to lose now. It’s a bullshit statement that is poorly designed to frame this as - if you don’t want this trade it means you want to come in last. It’s absolutely silly. Dumb. But not surprising that it still happens here.

Laine comes with risk. It all comes down to how much they want for him. And even then he might still not be worth it. I don’t think teams are knocking down the doors to get this guy.
I respect this opinion. Laine does come with risk, moreso what we'd have to give up in trade than the cap hit at this juncture. Thinking about these things is not necessarily "wanting to lose".

However, there are some people who look at each individual proposal through a lens I don't share. They ask if the given move will give us a strong chance of making the playoffs. Then, if it does not, they prefer to not do it, in order to get a higher pick.

This viewpoint overlooks the very real possibility that SEVERAL incremental moves can TOGETHER allow for enough on-ice improvement to make playoffs possible.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I respect this opinion. Laine does come with risk, moreso what we'd have to give up in trade than the cap hit at this juncture. Thinking about these things is not necessarily "wanting to lose".

However, there are some people who look at each individual move proposed through a lens I don't share. They ask if the given move will give us a strong chance of making the playoffs, and if it does not, prefer to not do it, in order to get a higher pick.

This viewpoint overlooks the very real possibility that SEVERAL incremental moves can TOGETHER allow for enough on-ice improvement to make playoffs possible.
I think Hugo will add a player. If not in the offseason then at some point next year.
Every single trade that ever was and ever will be comes with risk.
Again, that’s not how it’s framed by some.

Hugo seems to have a game plan and doesn’t seem the type who likes to jump into big contracts. I don’t think he’ll take Laine if it comes at any real cost. And even then he might not do it anyway.

I think he probably wants to see what he has. If the team overperforms, maybe he does something at the deadline. He’s on record as saying he wants to add a top six player. He’s also said he’s not going to make a move for the sake of it. We’ll see.

Reactions: CharleyHorse

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
That may be. I can't tell you about the locker room stuff. I don't actually know, and I assume that most of the stuff we read is made up. Some players also turn it around as Kovalev and Radulov did on the Habs.

I think the underlying point is that the Habs almost certainly need an impact forward to take a step forward. It doesn't need to be Laine, but he's a decent bet.

I am not referring to locker room problems but with being benched and disciplined by coaches who were sick of his poor efforts and utter lack of involvement for long stretches.

We definitely don't "need" an impact forward to move forward as we have likely drafted all of the components of an elite offence. Hughes would like to add a veteran top six forward to bridge this group through the next two seasons. If you are referring to a short term solution like this then I agree that it will help move the team into playoff contention but not necessarily towards the goal of contending which is likely still 3 years away.

It should be pointed out that there are zero legitimate rumours of Hughes even entertaining this idea as it is entirely fan generated social media speculation. If he does entertain the idea then I am sure that he will do his due diligence with regards to Laine's tumultuous past with his coaches and with the PAP situation. There are just so many flags that Hughes does not like and there is little evidence to support any notion that this is something that he is likely to pursue.

Because so much of Laine's issues seem to be mental it is difficult to know exactly what is wrong and whether or not it is something that Hughes wants to risk exposing his carefully curated culture to. I feel like there is too much of a fantasy hockey narrative behind the Laine talk and not enough measured and informed discussion based on the team building template that Hughes and Gorton have very transparently displayed during their entire tenure in Montreal.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I am not referring to locker room problems but with being benched and disciplined by coaches who were sick of his poor efforts and utter lack of involvement for long stretches.

We definitely don't "need" an impact forward to move forward as we have likely drafted all of the components of an elite offence. Hughes would like to add a veteran top six forward to bridge this group through the next two seasons. If you are referring to a short term solution like this then I agree that it will help move the team into playoff contention but not necessarily towards the goal of contending which is likely still 3 years away.

It should be pointed out that there are zero legitimate rumours of Hughes even entertaining this idea as it is entirely fan generated social media speculation. If he does entertain the idea then I am sure that he will do his due diligence with regards to Laine's tumultuous past with his coaches and with the PAP situation. There are just so many flags that Hughes does not like and there is little evidence to support any notion that this is something that he is likely to pursue.

Because so much of Laine's issues seem to be mental it is difficult to know exactly what is wrong and whether or not it is something that Hughes wants to risk exposing his carefully curated culture to. I feel like there is too much of a fantasy hockey narrative behind the Laine talk and not enough measured and informed discussion based on the team building template that Hughes and Gorton have very transparently displayed during their entire tenure in Montreal.
It feels very much to me like people want him to make a move for the sake of it. Use up the space, take a chance on this guy… without really thinking about values and risks.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I was never in favor of getting excited about size when I haven't seen the skill. I remember also saying I wasn't yet excited about McCarron after he went on a heater in London. Many also attacked that post.

But I will say, unfortunately, I do view size as more important than I used to. NHL rinks are so narrow. There's not much room out there. I'd rather see a more open game where hockey sense and expression rule, the kind of game Gretzky, Kariya, and hopefully Demidov play. But today big teams tend to get through playoff rounds.

Bigger ice equals boring hockey which is why Euro leagues are so painful to watch. All that happens is the play gets pushed out further from the scoring areas where players are able to skate around and waste time while creating next to nothing. The smaller ice surface creates more turnovers which happen closer to scoring areas and separates the stars from the grunts as only the best can hold on to the puck in traffic. The NHL is a higher scoring league than the Euro leagues and the dip in playoff scoring is directly attributed to the fact that the idiots who run the league allow for a separate set of rules between the regular season and the post season.....it has nothing at all to do with the ice surface being "too narrow"

Reactions: Gustave

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Dach needs a goal scorer and Laine can score goals. I'd actually keep last year's 3rd line of: Armia-Newhook-Gallagher, which means Dach needs wingers.

Laine-Dach-Anderson probably winds up as 2nd line.

That means Dvorak f***s off to 4th line along with Evans.

Dvorak, Evans, Pezzetta, Roy and maybe Beck battle for a 4th line spot. RHP to IR then waivers when he's ready to come back.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
It feels very much to me like people want him to make a move for the sake of it. Use up the space, take a chance on this guy… without really thinking about values and risks.

That seems like a silly assertion to me consider the hole we have on the top-6. No one's making this up out of thin air, including Hughes.

As a more general point, I'm not sure I particularly get (or ever have) this idea that one single player would destroy an entire organization's culture. We're still talking about grown men and professionals here, not toddlers. The opposite may be a bit more true (i.e. one highly respected player/coach/executive can start helping turning it around) but that one dude would send a bunch of others spiraling? I don't know, seems intense to me.

Out of curiosity, what are the risks you see in Laine?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Bigger ice equals boring hockey which is why Euro leagues are so painful to watch. All that happens is the play gets pushed out further from the scoring areas where players are able to skate around and waste time while creating next to nothing. The smaller ice surface creates more turnovers which happen closer to scoring areas and separates the stars from the grunts as only the best can hold on to the puck in traffic. The NHL is a higher scoring league than the Euro leagues and the dip in playoff scoring is directly attributed to the fact that the idiots who run the league allow for a separate set of rules between the regular season and the post season.....it has nothing at all to do with the ice surface being "too narrow"
Yes, I'm aware of the trade off of the big ice surface versus larger ice surface.

And for sure the idiots running the league somehow having a different set of rules than the regular season is infuriating for me too.

I would say though because the old European ice size isn't as good as the NHL ice size, doesn't mean the width or length of NHL rinks is optimal.

But yes,, I agree first thing to do is enforce the rules that came out of the dead puck era, to prevent a reversion back to the dead puck era.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That seems like a silly assertion to me consider the hole we have on the top-6. No one's making this up out of thin air, including Hughes.
I don’t think we’re in a hole at all. Developing team with a young top six ready for the next step.
As a more general point, I'm not sure I particularly get (or ever have) this idea that one single player would destroy an entire organization's culture. We're still talking about grown men and professionals here, not toddlers. The opposite may be a bit more true (i.e. one highly respected player/coach/executive can start helping turning it around) but that one dude would send a bunch of others spiraling? I don't know, seems intense to me.

Out of curiosity, what are the risks you see in Laine?
Again, depends on the ask. I wouldn’t pay more than a 2nd or a throwaway.

As for the risks. He has a problem shoulder. Good chance he could struggle here. His salary would be the highest on the team, that might not sit well. Then there’s the fact that he’s been in player assistance and would be going to the most insane hockey market in the world. It could get ugly pretty fast.

To me, you don’t pay anything for him. Maybe take him as a dump. Even then though, they’d better do their homework on him and his health.

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
The only way I would consider trading for Laine, is if Waddel would be open to make a trade ´a la Monahan ´ and give us a 1rd pick.
Laine does not hold anymore value than Monahan did a couple of years ago; even maybe a little less when you factor in his mental health problems combined with his physical injuries.
Waddel will not want to make that type of trade, and Hugo’s will probably not be interested in paying more.
I don’t think it’s gonna happen.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
We do have a lot of posters here who fit this description to a tee. For me personally, I've looked at many different factors, before jumping on the Laine bandwagon.

1. Management has discussed adding a top 6 forward.
2. Assumed cost of obtaining Laine. Compared to other rumoured players that are available.
3. Laine's age, does it fit in with our team concept.
4. Will Laine block any vital players. The only one I can see is Roy. Though I don't think it would hurt him, to spend a year on the 3rd line.
5. His contract status. If he crashes and burns in Montreal. It's only 2 yrs.
6. Do I want to buy a Laine jersey, if he became a Hab? Ok, ok, one selfish reason lol

I'm far from being the type to hope for a trade because, I'm bored of reading the same stuff over and over again on our board.

I'll also admit that there are risks to taking on Laine. If there weren't risks involved. The price to obtain him would be much higher than what it will probably be now. The bonus is, Waddel has awarded teams the ability to talk to Laine, before making a trade. If HuGo deems him to be a good fit. I can't see why we shouldn't be happy, if a trade is made.

Reactions: ReHabs and Tyson

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We do have a lot of posters here who fit this description to a tee. For me personally, I've looked at many different factors, before jumping on the Laine bandwagon.

1. Management has discussed adding a top 6 forward.
2. Assumed cost of obtaining Laine. Compared to other rumoured players that are available.
3. Laine's age, does it fit in with our team concept.
4. Will Laine block any vital players. The only one I can see is Roy. Though I don't think it would hurt him, to spend a year on the 3rd line.
5. His contract status. If he crashes and burns in Montreal. It's only 2 yrs.
6. Do I want to buy a Laine jersey, if he became a Hab? Ok, ok, one selfish reason lol

I'm far from being the type to hope for a trade because, I'm bored of reading the same stuff over and over again on our board.

I'll also admit that there are risks to taking on Laine. If there weren't risks involved. The price to obtain him would be much higher than what it will probably be now. The bonus is, Waddel has awarded teams the ability to talk to Laine, before making a trade. If HuGo deems him to be a good fit. I can't see why we shouldn't be happy, if a trade is made.
I’ve written about this extensively so I won’t say more than what I’ve already said. If they add him for cheap, I’m okay with it. That’s a low risk move in my opinion. But I wouldn’t give up real assets for him.

If it’s cheap… I’m good either way. I’m fine going into the season with what we have but Laine would give us some depth.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Hughes does a good job of running a tight ship. We know his general philosophy, but we never know the details of any upcoming moves.

I agree with you that contention is three years away, though we may have a disagreement in philosophy. Perhaps I'm wrong but I think that the transition from bottom ten team to top ten team can require a kickstart of some sort to boost the process. A team that tries to grow purely from its own drafting and development will have a hard time making that jump.

We've seen a lot of bottom ten teams draft high for years, and it took them a long time to become good.

That kickstart *could* come from Laine coming I and scoring 30 goals, which would also push Caulfield and his 30 goals to the second line. That would bump the Habs up a few spots on the rankings, and develop the offensive instincts of several teammates, from having a good player to pass to.

I'll be clear that it doesn't need to be Laine. I think the team needs a good forward added for the 2025 campaign, but if Hughes has a different player in mind, then great.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I’ve written about this extensively so I won’t say more than what I’ve already said. If they add him for cheap, I’m okay with it. That’s a low risk move in my opinion. But I wouldn’t give up real assets for him.

If it’s cheap… I’m good either way. I’m fine going into the season with what we have but Laine would give us some depth.
Yes we've had our back and forths already. We both know and hopefully respect each others opinions.

This is one factor that we both do agree on. I'd like to add Laine, but there's no way I'd be willing to add a vital piece or too many draft picks to get him. I'd only hope we did the deal, if the asking price is reasonable.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Dach needs a goal scorer and Laine can score goals. I'd actually keep last year's 3rd line of: Armia-Newhook-Gallagher, which means Dach needs wingers.

Laine-Dach-Anderson probably winds up as 2nd line.

That means Dvorak f***s off to 4th line along with Evans.

Dvorak, Evans, Pezzetta, Roy and maybe Beck battle for a 4th line spot. RHP to IR then waivers when he's ready to come back.
Why do people keep relegating Newhook to the 3rd line lol :cry:
God we cannot have Anderson anywhere near top6

All said, personally don't really want Laine
I just don't see 'reclamation project' there, I see 'damaged goods'

Since we're really only going to be missing 1 more top 6 winger once Demidov gets here (and I'm still not giving up on Newhook) but I'd really like to target someone else if they are looking at it hard

Reactions: Rapala

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Why do people keep relegating Newhook to the 3rd line lol :cry:
God we cannot have Anderson anywhere near top6

All said, personally don't really want Laine
I just don't see 'reclamation project' there, I see 'damaged goods'

Since we're really only going to be missing 1 more top 6 winger once Demidov gets here (and I'm still not giving up on Newhook) but I'd really like to target someone else if they are looking at it hard
That's what she said! "Yes I'm this immature lol"

As for having Anderson in our top 6. The only way I can see it is if they're willing to give him one last chance. IF, that were to happen though. I'd hope like hell he'd be put on a very short leash.

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
I'd only hope we did the deal, if the asking price is reasonable.
If the Habs were interested, and the asking price was reasonable, I think the deal would already be done.

I’m paraphrasing another poster, and I forget who said it, but do you see the Habs outbidding teams for a stopgap player? It’s one thing to try to add Jonathan Marchessault for 2 years, local and a recent Conn Smythe winner for nothing but money, but it’s another game, not even the same ballpark, to add Laine at the cost of assets.

He’s an intriguing idea, but at this point I’m not interested in that idea at all cost, or a high cost. Laine’s got the talent and I actually like his personality but I don’t see his current state and risks being a must do move that work with the Habs current state.

A whole Laine thread on the Habs board, much like the Zegras one is also peak cringe, but that’s another debate.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
That's what she said! "Yes I'm this immature lol"

As for having Anderson in our top 6. The only way I can see it is if they're willing to give him one last chance. IF, that were to happen though. I'd hope like hell he'd be put on a very short leash.
I still think there is a trade made this summer. Our top 6 is going to have a forward added.
One of the current Dmen in our organization will be sacrificed.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Fair enough but he has also been plagued by questions about his work ethic and attitude and has spent plenty of time in the dog house throughout his career.

I do not think that this is the type of person that Hughes is looking to acquire and put at the top of his payroll. He has always been a troubled player and does not seem to fit the archetype that Hughes covets.
That is true but he was also younger, injury riddle in some weird if not toxic situation and still producing… He might not be a player that you build a team on but he can definitely be a positive in the right situation and depending on the price he could be a steal worst case he leave in two year this should not be a move that will set us back even if it doesn’t work the risk reward ratio is very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium