OT: The all encompassing HFSabres music thread with no rules (as long as it’s music posted)

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
IMG_1239.jpeg

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
This is terrible. The original song was pop perfection and it doesn’t translate well to “metalcore”. They made it sound too serious, as opposed to just a happy bouncy fun song.
Maybe a better metalcore band can pull it off instead if some unknowns from Austria.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I listened to all kinds of stuff like that as well. I had some “Collection” albums that had all kinds of stuff..bubble gum, rock, pop, even soul. I loved Motown as much as Rock.
Love Motown with strong horn sections, and more "modern" bands who used strong horns in some of their works.

The Who's Quadrophenia, various Talking Heads, (Chicago's anthology, obviously), The Band,

I know your affection is for earlier Genesis, but "Paperlate" "Turn it on again" and other tunes like that - I love the horns.

Reactions: oldgoalie

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Love Motown with strong horn sections, and more "modern" bands who used strong horns in some of their works.

The Who's Quadrophenia, various Talking Heads, (Chicago's anthology, obviously), The Band,

I know your affection is for earlier Genesis, but "Paperlate" "Turn it on again" and other tunes like that - I love the horns.
I saw CTA (as they were known then) back in 1970 or 71 at the old rock pile. My first concert, and Chicago absolutely blew me away with their horns. Of course, that was with the original band members, so I got to see Terry Kath shred the guitar as well. They were f***ing awesome live.
Now, don’t get me wrong, because I loved later Genesis as well, but more of their prog roots stuff like Home by the Sea, Domino, etc. I actually think that “Paperlate” is one of the worst songs they ever created. Just my opinion, obviously; some of their songs with horns were good, but Paperlate was not one of them. Just too much Earth, Wind & Fire for me.

Good to see you posting again BG.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I saw CTA (as they were known then) back in 1970 or 71 at the old rock pile. My first concert, and Chicago absolutely blew me away with their horns. Of course, that was with the original band members, so I got to see Terry Kath shred the guitar as well. They were f***ing awesome live.
Now, don’t get me wrong, because I loved later Genesis as well, but more of their prog roots stuff like Home by the Sea, Domino, etc. I actually think that “Paperlate” is one of the worst songs they ever created. Just my opinion, obviously; some of their songs with horns were good, but Paperlate was not one of them. Just too much Earth, Wind & Fire for me.

Good to see you posting again BG.
I saw Chicago on tour in 84 when I was in college, they put on a great show

Reactions: oldgoalie

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
If you ever see a band you like is going to play Red Rocks Amphitheater outside Denver, do your best to get there. Incredible venue and experience

I saw Saves the Day at the Summit in Denver last year. That place was interesting. All of Denver was interesting and smelled like pot.

Just got back from Lyon with my daughter to see Taylor Swift and Paramore. That was an awesome venue.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua

I forgot about this band and this song, but when it drops it drops HARD. It puts a brick in a pillowcase and says hey

I'd love to see them live, but they are too niche to ever come to New Zealand, and if they came to Aus that'd be a fair sack of money that I'd need to get out from under the mattress to travel over.

Reactions: MarkusKetterer

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

Always like the horn heavy songs from paul simon

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I'd love to see them live, but they are too niche to ever come to New Zealand, and if they came to Aus that'd be a fair sack of money that I'd need to get out from under the mattress to travel over.

They’ll never play here, but at least they play (somewhat) close by at times (Toronto [10 hours drive] and Detroit [6-7 hours drive, depending on multiple bridge traffic waits]).

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Well f***. I got a random message on Facebook this morning and it was by the singer of Rise Against asking if I’ll be a guest singer on his alt-country solo album. Which is weird because the 5 one off bands I’ve been in has never recorded anything, and I refuse to use anybody I know to make a music career happen.
Dope ass band!

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Dope ass band!

They are! And I normally just avoid random messages. If you’re not a friend and I haven’t sent you a message, I don’t care what someone has to say lol. But he did a song with one of my buddies during the lockdowns, so that’s why he reached out.

Although I guess he thought I was in a band before with that guy lol.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
They are! And I normally just avoid random messages. If you’re not a friend and I haven’t sent you a message, I don’t care what someone has to say lol. But he did a song with one of my buddies during the lockdowns, so that’s why he reached out.

Although I guess he thought I was in a band before with that guy lol.
I'm intrigued by what he means by 'alt-country' album? I could never see him crossing into country based on their older songs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad