OT: The all encompassing HFSabres music thread with no rules (as long as it’s music posted)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
My tastes are eclectic enough that my older likes some of what I listen to. They're really into late 90s-early 00s nu metal stuff. Linkin Park, Drowning Pool, Gary Numan, Orgy. But also really into classical music (which makes sense as a prospective performance major), REM, and Iron Maiden.

Speaking of Gary, him reimagining his own stuff is fun. This is one of those:

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Speaking of Gary, him reimagining his own stuff is fun. This is one of those:

He's such a creative dude. He was supposed to come to town to talk about his history of electronic music creation...then COVID hit. It was going to happen at a bar/club, which would have been super cool to attend.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He's such a creative dude. He was supposed to come to town to talk about his history of electronic music creation...then COVID hit. It was going to happen at a bar/club, which would have been super cool to attend.
Twice he's been touring with a date slated right after I was moving. And now that I live where I do, some artists don't get closer than 1000 miles away.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Twice he's been touring with a date slated right after I was moving. And now that I live where I do, some artists don't get closer than 1000 miles away.

Ooof. I wanted to see him and NIN in Cleveland a handful of years ago but that's a big time and money commitment too. 5ish hours each way is a hard sell. Same thing happened when Sierra was on her first N.A. tour last year. Really wanted to go to that but to take off multiple days of work for it is rough.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Ooof. I wanted to see him and NIN in Cleveland a handful of years ago but that's a big time and money commitment too. 5ish hours each way is a hard sell. Same thing happened when Sierra was on her first N.A. tour last year. Really wanted to go to that but to take off multiple days of work for it is rough.

As someone who on a whim went to the Cleveland homecoming show for NIN in '94 (I think it was the August 30th show, which was a Tuesday) with my roommate because we were bored at work in Amherst during the afternoon so we left work early and scalped tickets, I will say that drive to and froe is a young person's game. We missed most of the set from Hole who opened and didn't get back home until almost daybreak. It was amazing.

Reactions: yahhockey

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
It’s really confusing the fact that you like a Christian metalcore band. But also not, because those were the biggest bands in the early 2000s. But Gideon was right at the end of that happening
Gideon doesnt consider themselves a Christian band anymore

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
As someone who on a whim went to the Cleveland homecoming show for NIN in '94 (I think it was the August 30th show, which was a Tuesday) with my roommate because we were bored at work in Amherst during the afternoon so we left work early and scalped tickets, I will say that drive to and froe is a young person's game. We missed most of the set from Hole who opened and didn't get back home until almost daybreak. It was amazing.

{examines white hairs in beard}

Yup. Definitely not for me. :laugh:

And congrats on missing Hole!

• Haha
Reactions: Chainshot

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Related to Christian music, this is that. The band in no way says they’re religious, but because they released an album on a Christian label, nobody cared about them. And because I used to work with that label I’m gonna post a bunch of bands they signed and/ or passed on (Tooth & Nail Records for those wondering):

Yea that label passed on all of that.

I see Thrice, I hit like.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Been listening to a bunch of rock albums lately through the YouTube music app. I've listened to a lot of stuff like Zeppelin I-IV, Appetite-GNR, lots of 21st century rock. After going through a lot the only 2 albums I would actually consider amazing are actually Fallen and The Open Door I guess I'm a big Evanescence fan now. The only thing that was terrible that I've listened to was Radiohead personally don't understand the love they get from the internet and Rolling Stones website...maybe it's because I only listened to Kid A and it felt like I wanted to hit myself for listening to it.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Been listening to a bunch of rock albums lately through the YouTube music app. I've listened to a lot of stuff like Zeppelin I-IV, Appetite-GNR, lots of 21st century rock. After going through a lot the only 2 albums I would actually consider amazing are actually Fallen and The Open Door I guess I'm a big Evanescence fan now. The only thing that was terrible that I've listened to was Radiohead personally don't understand the love they get from the internet and Rolling Stones website...maybe it's because I only listened to Kid A and it felt like I wanted to hit myself for listening to it.
It's like Rotten Tomatoes, most of the stuff that gets high ratings is absolute trash

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Kinda like most "best of" lists, things get added and then it becomes canon. And usually things get dropped off from the nearer chronological end rather than the historical end.

Sort of like this - 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die

Even more amusing, they haven't updated it in 6 years...

Edit - My younger spawn talks music with me a lot and she goes back to mine things that the interwebz will tell her are great when in the course of time those things were great. She has tried chewing through Pink Floyd and Radiohead and Rush at various times, none of which she found appealing. I've mentioned to her that I have that with a lot of the classics that get paraded out as being best of the best like the Beatles - I don't get it. I get that they were talented and did chord progressions that were unique and all that, but I don't enjoy them. At all. But I do have bands that clearly were influenced by them that I enjoy. So some of it is certainly personal taste and some of it was the being there when.

If an album was revolutionary 50 years ago, everything that has come after is likely to have had some influence from it, even just a smidge. Which then lessens aspect of something being thought unique as time passes. *shrug*

Last edited:
Reactions: Ralonzo

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Kinda like most "best of" lists, things get added and then it becomes canon. And usually things get dropped off from the nearer chronological end rather than the historical end.

Sort of like this - 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die

Even more amusing, they haven't updated it in 6 years...

Edit - My younger spawn talks music with me a lot and she goes back to mine things that the interwebz will tell her are great when in the course of time those things were great. She has tried chewing through Pink Floyd and Radiohead and Rush at various times, none of which she found appealing. I've mentioned to her that I have that with a lot of the classics that get paraded out as being best of the best like the Beatles - I don't get it. I get that they were talented and did chord progressions that were unique and all that, but I don't enjoy them. At all. But I do have bands that clearly were influenced by them that I enjoy. So some of it is certainly personal taste and some of it was the being there when.

If an album was revolutionary 50 years ago, everything that has come after is likely to have had some influence from it, even just a smidge. Which then lessens aspect of something being thought unique as time passes. *shrug*
You’re not a Beatles fan? That really surprises me!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't blame you, I preferred the Stones and the Who to them

It might just be a bit of oppositional defiant behavior - having people I didn't like tell me something was great? Yeah... that's a big no. There are certain bands I associate with the strung out 20-year olds who used to sit in the back of the bus and shoot beer caps at the elementary students (me among them) in the rest of the vehicle. BOC and Deep Purple come to mind as shit they would be playing and I basically wanted them to f*** off for the rest of time. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
you don’t like BOC or Deep Purple either? I’m not sure I know this person. ;-)

Hey, we all have secrets. :biglaugh:

I don't blame you, I preferred the Stones and the Who to them

I leaned more toward the Kinks for that era of artists. And then I decided I wanted to annoy people who were annoying me with their music so I leaned into punk, prog, post-punk, etc... to wear them out. I don't know if it worked, but one of those shitstains from the back of the bus got some comeuppance a few years later. He was the son of one of my grandfather's friends, we were deer hunting and the guy, now in his early 20's, wouldn't field dress the deer he'd gut shot. I think I called him a p***y and did it myself. I was 12 or 13. I can still see the look that passed between my grandfather and my dad... and that guy never gave me any trouble after that. I may have told him to do something useful and hold my gloves before I was up to my elbows gutting the thing.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
“Meh” on most of the Kinks stuff. Best thing Ray Davies ever did was Crissy Hines. :D

I wasn't big on much of the British Invasion stuff since again, my recollection was it was being pushed as having been transformative and thus peerless. I had weird tastes right from the get go though. If we're airing secrets, I think my first 45s were these songs:

Go figure. I think I was five.

I would play a bunch of the albums my parents had - there was some Beach Boys, a couple of movie music compilations, some Stones, some random stuff from the late 60's and early '70's but they stopped buying albums around the time they build their first house in '75. We also had a vintage juke box in the basement with 78's on it. I think my father got it at some garage sale and flipped it years later for like 10 grand - half of it was the music collection in it. I wish I could remember more of the songs, there were some late '40's and early rock singles in there.

I would mess about with the radio too, which lead me to find annoying stuff from across the border on the old CFNY and Q107 rather than the battery of local stations.

Reactions: oldgoalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad