The 2025 Draft Thread

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
At first glance, sons of Matt Ellis, Petr Sykora, and Vernon Fiddler at that camp above. Also, if you're a "scary good" era fan and want to feel old, Thomas Vanek's son is eligible for this draft and was selected in the third round of the 2023 USHL draft by Chicago. Ellis went 7th OA in that draft.

• Wow
Reactions: tsujimoto74

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
At first glance, sons of Matt Ellis, Petr Sykora, and Vernon Fiddler at that camp above. Also, if you're a "scary good" era fan and want to feel old, Thomas Vanek's son is eligible for this draft and was selected in the third round of the 2023 USHL draft by Chicago. Ellis went 7th OA in that draft.
Ellis's son you say. I'm setting the over/under at 100 percent they draft him and I'm betting the over

Sabres

Jan 15, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I have zero faith in this organization so I'm ready to tank for Hagens and McKenna these next two years.

Ryabkin will probably fall just for being Russian and someone will get a steal.

• Haha
Reactions: HOOats

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
Another Ellis in the wings? Count on Buffalo to move Heaven and Earth to get him here. The Vanek thing is...ugh...I'm old.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Came here to post this, shoulda known the joke woulda been taken.

What does the 2025 NHL draft look like? Top heavy? Strong 1st round? No clear #1? Etc?

At the moment, there appear to be a couple folks standing out near the top -

James Hagens: just broke Kucherov's U18 tournament points mark this spring, was the top player on the NTDP squad even though it isn't his draft year. Think Jack Hughes-ish in the smaller but crafty, skilled center vein.

Porter Martone: Canada's bid for the top spot, was good at the 2023 U18's along with that Celebrini kid, had a strong 2024 U18 and a 30-goal season in the OHL. Big kid, plays sort of a power game in using his size to get inside, absorbs more than he dishes from my viewings but 6'3" already.

Ivan Ryabkin: The obligatory Russian phenom, already broke records in the MHL as a U17 player last year. Could be better than Michkov or Demidov but he looks like he'll be a good one even if he doesn't get to that height.

Anton Frondell: Swedish entry for possible 1OA, but was hurt at the U18's this spring but he's in a solid program and has all sorts of 1C skills.

I like how it's shaping up for the top 10, still curious how deep it will get and who will be the development curve risers.

Ad

Ad

Ad