WJC: 2025 Team USA Roster Talk

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
I think Beckett Hendrickson is probably another guy who would be competing for a spot in the bottom 6.

Austin Burnevik is another guy to keep an eye on as well. He's an early 2005 who is currently leading the USHL in goals. He's 6'4 with 21g 36p through 29gp with Madison. Looks like he's taken a big step forward this year. I know his skating has been an obstacle in the past, but if he continues to progress I could see him challenging for a roster spot.
This post looks very good right now. Both have played well in the Summer Series

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
I have to say, not a lot of standouts for me in today's game. I thought both goalies played fairly well. I like Huston. Great goal by Eiserman doing what he does so well. Minnetiam was okay. Spellacy I liked. Nothing really stood out though or popped. Hopefully they learned what everyone already knows - STAY OUT OF THE BOX!

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Pretty much everyone here knows better than I do. I base my picks on the junior games I see (wjc’s, u18s, hkinkas, summer series), about 30 college games I see per year, and (mostly) what I read here. So take all of this with an enormous grain of salt. Here’s where I am right now:

Perrault Moore Leonard
Musty Hagans Eiserman
Connelly Nelson Whitelaw
Hendrickson Terrance Adams

Plante / Svoboda

Buium Minnetian
Fortescue Hensler
Hutson Emery

Strathman

Augustine
Slukynsky
Kempf

Stuff I question:

1) I assume we bring Kempf so I have no idea if Slukynsky beats ou Hillenbrandt. Basing this pick totally on the summer series. He looked good.

2) Who centers Leonard and Perrault? Moore looked great there. So did Hagans. My guess is that lots of guys would look good there. No idea.

3) I feel like Stiga and Burnevik should be there. Can’t find a way to get them there.

4) I feel like Strathmann should get regular time….but can’t find a way.

5) I don’t like Minnetian being 1D pair, but so many left shots. Not sure what to do there.

6) I really want to put Plante w Hagans and Eiserman….forwards are soooo deep

7) I don’t love Eiserman at all. But guys who can score don’t grow on trees. Gotta have him but I hope Carle has an itchy trigger finger if he tries to score every single time he touches the puck and/or refuses to back check at all.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Peters took a stab at the roster:

Gabe Perreault (NYR) – James Hagens (2025) – Ryan Leonard (WSH)
Quentin Musty (SJS) – Oliver Moore (CHI) – Cole Eiserman (NYI)
Trevor Connelly (VGK) – Danny Nelson (NYI) – Brodie Ziemer (BUF)
Brandon Svoboda (SJS) – Carey Terrance (ANA) – Noah Powell (PHI)
Max Plante (DET) – Beckett Hendrickson (BOS)

Zeev Buium (MIN) – Drew Fortescue (NYR)
Cole Hutson (WSH) – EJ Emery (NYR)
Zach Schulz (NYI) – Aram Minnetian (DAL)
Paul Fischer (STL) – Adam Kleber (BUF)

Trey Augustine (DET)
Hampton Slukynsky (LAK)
Nick Kempf (WSH)

Article here: https://www.flohockey.tv/articles/1...s-roster-projection-following-summer-showcase

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Peters took a stab at the roster:

Gabe Perreault (NYR) – James Hagens (2025) – Ryan Leonard (WSH)
Quentin Musty (SJS) – Oliver Moore (CHI) – Cole Eiserman (NYI)
Trevor Connelly (VGK) – Danny Nelson (NYI) – Brodie Ziemer (BUF)
Brandon Svoboda (SJS) – Carey Terrance (ANA) – Noah Powell (PHI)
Max Plante (DET) – Beckett Hendrickson (BOS)

Zeev Buium (MIN) – Drew Fortescue (NYR)
Cole Hutson (WSH) – EJ Emery (NYR)
Zach Schulz (NYI) – Aram Minnetian (DAL)
Paul Fischer (STL) – Adam Kleber (BUF)

Trey Augustine (DET)
Hampton Slukynsky (LAK)
Nick Kempf (WSH)

Article here: https://www.flohockey.tv/articles/1...s-roster-projection-following-summer-showcase
Pretty in line with my own thoughts after the Showcase, I would only make one change if I had a say, Eiserman and Plante would be switching spots and I would only use Eierman on the PP. I would maybe switch Minnetian and Kleber as well.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
WJSS doesn’t matter at all. Didn’t watch any of it. Didn’t follow closely. Summer hockey is how you make dumb roster decisions. This is what I think is the best team.

Perreault-Hagens-Leonard
Eiserman-Moore-Swanson
Musty-Bednarik-Connelly
Hendrickson-Nelson-Terrance
Stiga-Pelosi

Buium-Hensler
Skahan-Minnetian
Hutson-Emery
Fortescue-McCarthy

Augustine
Slukynsky
Kempf

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Finally got around to watching the showcase. You have a strong base for a team with one of the best lines in Perreault-Hagens-Leonard, one of the best defenders in Buium, and one of the best goalies in Augustine.

But I'm not sure what to do with the middle 6. Neither Musty or Eiserman looked great. Moore and Connelly are both puck dominant players where you wonder about the chemistry. There's enough talent to make it work, but a step down from last year's team where all the pieces fit together.

I've never been too high on Ziemer, but thought he looked great. Put himself in the conversation for a spot. Whitelaw did not look good and is probably on the outside looking in.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Finally got around to watching the showcase. You have a strong base for a team with one of the best lines in Perreault-Hagens-Leonard, one of the best defenders in Buium, and one of the best goalies in Augustine.
I’m high on the team for this reason. I think the top end of our roster will compete with anyone, but the rest of the roster is a concern. Not as strong as last year I don’t think.

Reactions: 95snipes

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I’m high on the team for this reason. I think the top end of our roster will compete with anyone, but the rest of the roster is a concern. Not as strong as last year I don’t think.
Last year's team had Perrreault-Smith-Leonard as their third line. Absurdly deep. This team has basically all question marks past the first line (unless the Sharks loan Smith, which would help a ton).

Perreault-Hagens-Leonard is probably the best line at the tournament and Buium probably the best D, but yeah. Other than that, not a roster I'm all that confident in.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Last year's team had Perrreault-Smith-Leonard as their third line. Absurdly deep. This team has basically all question marks past the first line (unless the Sharks loan Smith, which would help a ton).

Perreault-Hagens-Leonard is probably the best line at the tournament and Buium probably the best D, but yeah. Other than that, not a roster I'm all that confident in.
Don’t forget Augustine!

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Don’t forget Augustine!
True, the goaltending is strong between him and Fowler.

That is to say that if the stars pop and goaltending is excellent, this team could absolutely win Gold. But I've seen WJC teams with this construction flounder as well because the stars went cold or the goaltender had a bad game.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

That is to say that if the stars pop and goaltending is excellent, this team could absolutely win Gold. But I've seen WJC teams with this construction flounder as well because the stars went cold or the goaltender had a bad game.
Come on now. This is about as vanilla as it gets. Your analysis applies to every contender every year in this tournament.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Come on now. This is about as vanilla as it gets. Your analysis applies to every contender every year in this tournament.
Because a lot of rosters are constructed this way? Except the US last year had depth all through the forward group in addition to star power. So if the stars went cold, then the depth could still win it (as the Smith line did last year). That's my point.

I don't know what you f***ing want from me here. This US WJC roster is as vanilla as they come.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Meh. Most teams have question marks all over their rosters. There is plenty of talent on the roster with 10 returnees (8 who played) from last WJC's gold medalists. It doesn't really matter if last year's team had more depth, it's a completely different tournament against different competitors.

Whether they succeed is unknown at this point but plenty of teams (US or otherwise) have succeeded at the WJC with less depth, let alone not having what has the potential to be the #1 line, #1 goalie, and #1D in the tournament.

Guys like Musty, Connolly, Moore, and Nelson are great building blocks to build a strong bottom 9.

It's a gold medal or bust roster. If they don't win, it's a failed tournament.

Fowler is not eligible to return

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Are we sure Hagans is gonna center Leonard / Perrault? May want to put Moore there and strengthen a second line. It might make sense to do things that put Eiserman in the best position to succeed….just thinking.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $871.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00