The 2024-2025 Roster Thread

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Is Benson eligible for Rochester?

Benson has a cousin named Diego Buttazzoni.

Please put Cozens on the wing with Lafferty and NAK, I am convinced he needs to stop thinking about the game and get back to banging bodies and being an absolute dickhead.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Please put Cozens on the wing with Lafferty and NAK, I am convinced he needs to stop thinking about the game and get back to banging bodies and being an absolute dickhead.

He also has a younger brother named Levi. That's the most meta Sabre thing. :biglaugh:

Reactions: SundherDome

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I suppose my main question is, why do they want to move him?

22-23 - 80gp 102pts
23-24 - 82gp 89pts
24-25 - 6gp 3pts

23-24 playoffs - 13gp 6pts

Pettersson was a hot topic on today’s edition of the 32 Thoughts podcast, with Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman speaking about the struggling Canucks star player for 11 straight minutes.

Friedman said after Canucks management re-signed Pettersson to a massive eight-year, $92.8 million contract last March, they felt he could get his game up another level or two.

“It was felt that as great as he is, they needed to get him to be tougher,” Friedman said.

Tempers flared briefly at Canucks practice following an intense battle drill between Miller and Pettersson. It was over quickly, and we’ve certainly seen worse in practices over the years.

But was this merely just emotions running high?

It seems this was part of a calculated move by the Canucks.

“What I also believe… They didn’t want it to be up to Rutherford or Allvin or Tocchet to do it. They really believe in their leadership group,” Friedman added. “I think they said, ‘You guys are the ones that are going to have to do it.’ Miller’s obviously taking that very literally… I think Hughes is involved too.”

“I think the Canucks see this as it might be better for Pettersson if it comes from his teammates as opposed to the coach or the GM. I think what the Canucks have said to their leadership group is ‘Elias needs to get to another level. You all see it. And we want you guys to get him there.’ And I think they all see it, they understand it, and they’re trying to push him there.”

“I don’t think [Pettersson] always likes it. I think they’re hoping he will understand that it’s to make them win.”

On March 3, Elias Pettersson signed a monster extension that would pay him $11.6 million for the next eight seasons.

Until that point, Pettersson had been electric for the Vancouver Canucks. In 62 games, he scored 29 goals and 75 points, a 38-goal and 99-point pace right in line with his work the prior season. Over the prior 142 games, he had been a proven 100-point scorer, one who had shown an innate ability to tilt the ice and own the scoreboard. He was a dominant force, one well deserving of making big bucks.

From that moment forward, though, everything changed.

In the 39 games since (playoffs included), Pettersson has just six goals and 23 points, an abysmal 13-goal and 48-point pace — an over 50 percent decline from his previous heights. He has looked less engaged, he’s shooting the puck significantly less (5.8 shots-per-60 compared to 8.1 pre-extension) and looks like a shade of his prior self. What happened?

To Pettersson’s credit, the Canucks are actually posting better on-ice numbers now (60 percent of the goals, 56 percent of the expected goals) than they were before (58 percent, 50 percent). That’s mostly a defensive result, too, which is often under-looked. The Canucks went from allowing 2.69 expected goals against per 60 in Pettersson’s minutes (0.21 xG’s worse) to 2.19 since the extension (0.04 better).

That’s nice and all, but it’s clearly coming at way too significant a cost to Pettersson’s offensive output. The ends don’t justify the means if his goals-per-60 drops from 4 all the way to 2.55. Part of that is his on-ice shooting percentage coming down (it was 14 percent when he signed, which may have been a red flag), but it’s also a byproduct of playing safer hockey. That lowers the ultimate goal differential that Pettersson usually drives. While his goal percentage may be up slightly, the slowed-down pace of play leads to a goal differential that’s 0.19 goals per 60 worse. Defensive hockey is not what Vancouver is paying $11.6 million for.

There’s a chance this is all just half a season of random variation, but those chances aren’t very likely.

If Pettersson’s true talent level is 40 goals, the odds of him scoring just six in 39 games is just 0.1 percent. That jumps to 0.4 percent if his true talent level is 35 goals. The same thing goes for points. If his true talent level is 100 points, the odds of him scoring just 23 points over 39 games is even lower, at 0.03 percent. At 90 points, it’s 0.1 percent.

Ultra-rare events happen more than most people think, and it’s possible that a whole lot of money has lessened Pettersson’s urgency to produce up to his usual capabilities.

The more likely scenario is that playing “the right way” is the absolute wrong way for Pettersson. The Canucks need to take their Ferrari out of the garage.

The noise around Vancouver Canucks centre Elias Pettersson is reaching something of a fever pitch. It’s clear he’s aware of it, and equally clear he has no real desire to discuss it with the media.

“You can look at the stats and say I stink,” Pettersson said to a scrum of reporters following Canucks practice on Wednesday, “but I feel like I’ve been better.”

It wasn’t a lot, but it was more than Pettersson was willing to discuss with The Athletic when we asked him how he felt about his game and what he was doing to work through it in Chicago earlier this week. It’s both fair and understandable that he doesn’t particularly want to analyze the matter publicly, but it’s a conversation that isn’t going to end on its own.

Only his performance can put it to bed.

Because, as Pettersson noted Wednesday, the statistical record really is stark. And the fact that it’s impossible to really make sense of, given his Hall of Fame level production in his first 400 NHL games, only adds an air of mystery and interest to the funk he’s in.

Including the club’s 13-game run in the 2024 Stanley Cup playoffs, Pettersson has gone over 30 games without scoring a five-on-five goal, a stretch that extends back to early March.

Pettersson, a better-than-point-per-game player throughout his career, has recorded 34 points across his last 53 games dating back to the All-Star break. That’s a 53-point-per-82-game pace, which doesn’t stink particularly, but it’s an uncharacteristically pedestrian haul for a gifted offensive forward like Pettersson, who has never produced fewer than 66 points in a full NHL season in his career.

“It’s getting better,” Pettersson said earlier this week in Chicago. “I’m just trying to be the best player I can be every game. Some games go better, some games don’t. Whatever happens, I’ll always try to be the best player I can be every game.”

It is true that, at the very least, Pettersson’s new line with Nils Höglander and Conor Garland was consistently dangerous over the past week. Internally, the club feels like he’s taken some baby steps toward improving, a sentiment his linemates echoed in Chicago.

“I think Petey is finding his game, it takes time,” Garland said. “I’ve had starts to the season where you just can’t find your game no matter what, you start to press and it takes longer, but I don’t think he’s pressing. He’s just playing his game. He’s looked good up the middle, holding onto the puck, making plays, good defensively — especially in the third period (in Philadelphia) he was really good defensively.”

It also seems like we should view Pettersson’s slow start as being distinct from what we saw down the stretch and into the playoffs last season. Not to lower the bar here, but Pettersson’s shot attempt rate has rebounded and he’s drawing penalties at his normal rate, a good sign that he’s beating defenders and getting inside his check with more frequency.

Now if Pettersson can maintain this level of play for a couple of weeks, get that elusive bounce to end that five-on-five scoreless streak and get back to producing the way he customarily has, this conversation — with the overly scrutinized practice kerfuffle between him and J.T. Miller, the analysis of his splits, the endless criticism — should come to a natural conclusion.

Canucks fans and media alike, however, are just trying to understand what’s going on with Pettersson’s game. Since he’s unwilling to provide those answers himself in interviews, the only option remaining is to answer those questions with his play.

Let’s open our notebook and cover Höglander’s increased role, the club’s cap-motivated loans this week and the latest on the club’s posture on the trade market as it pertains to landing that elusive top-four upgrade on defence.

EPete has seen his production drop off a cliff since signing his megabucks extension. Kind of like Cozens.

I can't wait for the WHL boys [a mix of Cozens, Krebs, Benson, Byram] for EPete trade rumors to spark up.

:sarcasm:

Not until 2025-26 unless it is a conditioning stint.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN

22-23 - 80gp 102pts
23-24 - 82gp 89pts
24-25 - 6gp 3pts

EPete has seen his production drop off a cliff since signing his megabucks extension. Kind of like Cozens.

I can't wait for the WHL boys [a mix of Cozens, Krebs, Benson, Byram] for EPete trade rumors to spark up.

Conditioning it is!

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

22-23 - 80gp 102pts
23-24 - 82gp 89pts
24-25 - 6gp 3pts

Sounds to me like he could be a bit mentally fragile. Not exactly sure he would be great here. Lets be honest, this isn't the easiest place to play anymore. We are all so fed up that even one bad play can lead to the arena boo'ing you.

Reactions: jc17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad