The 2024-2025 Roster Thread

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
This is a stupid situation. Levi really showed good performance, but then there was no point in signing Reimer if he was taken now. Then it was necessary to find a better goalie for Rochester #1, and who could rise to Buffalo in case of injury to UPL or Levi, Sandstrom does not seem like that.

Are there any teams that could use Reimer? Some may be injured or simply lack a decent number 2 or 3.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Rousek on waivers means he won't stick as a #13/14 type which is interesting, especially with the guys currently injured.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
NJ didn’t have any trouble picking up a new coaching system, dealing with lots of new faces or opening in Europe.
May be that the Devils situation was not ideal either, new coach, some new players and opening in Europe, but luckily for them, they were playing a team that is younger, also with a new coach, and that is trying to learn a much more complex system with 40% more "new (or relatively new) players".

The Devils had two new forwards that had not played with their core.

They had 3 D, but that brings me to the second point, which is Keefe mostly runs a 1-3-1 trap system, where the D hang back and it is extremely simple to learn. and every player has played in that system at one point or another throughout their development if they were playing organized hockey in the last 20 years.

Ruffs system is complex, that is why I really didn't like the hire, but it is what it is. As I think this team (especially the D), really could have benefited from a simpler, more rigid system to help them learn how to D after the Granato fiasco. Ruffs system relies on skating and high hockey IQ, (especially for the D) - which ironically was sorta what Granato was asking of them. The Sabres D is young and it is hard for young players to work on improving their games when they are solely focused on "Where should I be" and "what are my teammates doing".

*Note* - please do not respond to my simplistic answer about the difference between Ruff's and Keefe's systems. To stay on topic and avoid a strawman debate I did not want to go into deep detail of the differences. If you want to have that conversation, feel free to PM me and I'd be glad to have a hockey system discussion with you there. Usually when you reply to one of my observations, it becomes 8 post deep back and forth about something unrelated taken out of context - let's try to avoid that here. We are already into strawman territory here, as my point is that "this team was always going to take a couple of months to gel". If you take issue with that statement, then please respond, anything else is offtopic and probably something we do not need to subject the rest of the board to have to read.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
May be that the Devils situation was not ideal either, new coach, some new players and opening in Europe, but luckily for them, they were playing a team that is younger, also with a new coach, and that is trying to learn a much more complex system with 40% more "new (or relatively new) players".

The Devils had two new forwards that had not played with their core.

They had 3 D, but that brings me to the second point, which is Keefe mostly runs a 1-3-1 trap system, where the D hang back and it is extremely simple to learn. and every player has played in that system at one point or another throughout their development if they were playing organized hockey in the last 20 years.

Ruffs system is complex, that is why I really didn't like the hire, but it is what it is. As I think this team (especially the D), really could have benefited from a simpler, more rigid system to help them learn how to D after the Granato fiasco. Ruffs system relies on skating and high hockey IQ, (especially for the D) - which ironically was sorta what Granato was asking of them. The Sabres D is young and it is hard for young players to work on improving their games when they are solely focused on "Where should I be" and "what are my teammates doing".

*Note* - please do not respond to my simplistic answer about the difference between Ruff's and Keefe's systems. To stay on topic and avoid a strawman debate I did not want to go into deep detail of the differences. If you want to have that conversation, feel free to PM me and I'd be glad to have a hockey system discussion with you there. Usually when you reply to one of my observations, it becomes 8 post deep back and forth about something unrelated taken out of context - let's try to avoid that here. We are already into strawman territory here, as my point is that "this team was always going to take a couple of months to gel". If you take issue with that statement, then please respond, anything else is offtopic and probably something we do not need to subject the rest of the board to have to read.
I didn't follow the Sabres during the first Ruff-years (I've only watched them regularly during the draught) but a demanding system with this roster seems naive at best. Especially considering the circumstances.

My guess is that a complex system with this team might lead to rebuild 4.0, our top six is the dumbest in the league even with Skinner gone.

Unrelared to hockey but research regarding business development shows that simple plans are the best since execution is the hardest part of any plan. Fancy and complex strategies often just leads to inaction.

A system that has our players in their heads all the time is probably a recipe for disaster.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Wait… are you guys telling me that it’s possible for a GM to make the right offseason moves to address team needs and take a team from 81 points to cup contender in a single offseason?!?!

But I’ve been told “draft and develop” is the only and best way to build a team… even though no one has ever built a cup contender, much less cup winner that way.

I probably should have added the :sarcasm: to my original question, but I wanted serious answers.

NJ didn’t have any trouble picking up a new coaching system, dealing with lots of new faces or opening in Europe.
A large part of their change is not having key injuries to key players for large stretches of the season.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
The biggest roster improvement that can happen this season is Lindy Ruff getting through to Thompson and Cozens. I still don't believe Thompson is smart enough hockey wise to be a center in the NHL. Cozens could still maybe develop in a nice 2nd line center but this past weekend was not confidence inspiring.

The safer move was always keeping Mittlestadt. He was and is solid 2/3 two way center in this league. And something this team still sorely lacks.

This team still lacks NHL scoring talent. Maybe the prospects fill those roles sooner than later. I've never believed Tuch is top line talent in this league and still don't.

Lindy Ruff was the easy hire and I hated that but it's the Sabres and they really suck at everything management wise. That said, Lindy is an NHL level coach and I really hope he still has what it takes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad