The 2024-2025 Roster Thread

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
I famously remembered the hot start , think it was ten wins in a row. Fans on here saying Sabres were not getting the respect that they deserved. I thought that was ridiculous and still do

Same as I think of the reaction to the first two games. Devils are a playoff team. And maybe a cup contender. The losses are bad but maybe not as bad as it feels.

I have to hope that the Sabres learn and grow from this. Let’s see how the first ten go
Why do you judge the Devils a cup contender? They were worse than us last year

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
It's always going to take months, not weeks, for a team with a new coaching system and nearly 40% of the roster being new faces to come together and show what really are.

Opening in Europe was really unfortunate for a team that is going through as much transition as the Sabres are from last season.

Two games don't worry me, and I cautioned this summer that the start will likely be slow, hopefully they can tread water with good goaltending early in the season for several weeks until they figure out their identity and the chemistry starts to come together.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Trading one of your big names to stir the pot an option here or who would have them ?
Tage lost his whisperer and has been figured out, Cozens charts are shocking, Tuch looks like he has bailed out, Power looks ok but is not making a #1 pick impact.

Ready for the Greenway for a 3rd trade at some point.

7M in cap space but no one wants to come here to use it on

New coach, new system, bottom six changes, looks like the same team from last season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
When all their best players missed most of the season with injuries and they had the worst goaltending in the league (which as you might have noticed is something they addressed in the offseason).
They're going to be better when they add Pesce and Hughes to their d-corps. Their forwards should be in the top 10 statistically, while they probably have the deepest d in the league.
Vegas has them 3rd on the odds list. So it's not exactly like he's out on an island.
Injuries and goaltending plagued their season last year. They have the pieces to be a very good team. Time will tell.
Wait… are you guys telling me that it’s possible for a GM to make the right offseason moves to address team needs and take a team from 81 points to cup contender in a single offseason?!?!

But I’ve been told “draft and develop” is the only and best way to build a team… even though no one has ever built a cup contender, much less cup winner that way.

I probably should have added the :sarcasm: to my original question, but I wanted serious answers.

It's always going to take months, not weeks, for a team with a new coaching system and nearly 40% of the roster being new faces to come together and show what really are.

Opening in Europe was really unfortunate for a team that is going through as much transition as the Sabres are from last season.

Two games don't worry me, and I cautioned this summer that the start will likely be slow, hopefully they can tread water with good goaltending early in the season for several weeks until they figure out their identity and the chemistry starts to come together.
NJ didn’t have any trouble picking up a new coaching system, dealing with lots of new faces or opening in Europe.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Was thinking about this last night - sports is supposed to be an escape for me to enjoy at night.

As someone who loves their job, their fiance and likes going to the gym multiple times a week- the Sabres have become the one thing in my routine I don’t enjoy. Following the team and not saying it’s the posters but the fact we are mostly in the same state of mind during the season is such a f***ing drag. Twitter too.

Think I’m going to take a timeout from the team for awhile and if we are in the hunt come November I’ll swing back. But this team does nothing for me and my life except cause frustration. Years of watching 70+ games, I just don’t think I can do another year like last.

I’ve got plenty of things I could do that would have me feeling more fulfilled to end the day.

Reactions: Ehran

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Was thinking about this last night - sports is supposed to be an escape for me to enjoy at night.

As someone who loves their job, their fiance and likes going to the gym multiple times a week- the Sabres have become the one thing in my routine I don’t enjoy. Following the team and not saying it’s the posters but the fact we are mostly in the same state of mind during the season is such a f***ing drag. Twitter too.

Think I’m going to take a timeout from the team for awhile and if we are in the hunt come November I’ll swing back. But this team does nothing for me and my life except cause frustration. Years of watching 70+ games, I just don’t think I can do another year like last.

I’ve got plenty of things I could do that would have me feeling more fulfilled to end the day.

See I watch them play because I can make fun of them. It makes it easier to deal with when they suck.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
SmartSelect_20241006_095210_Instagram.jpg

Reactions: jc17 and Dempsey

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I don’t think anyone would care that they were 0-2 if they didn’t look like the same dog shit team we’ve been watching for years, who can’t complete simple passes, win 50/50 puck battles, or win races to pucks.

They also aren’t good at the details again because they’re lower IQ first rounders who all think they can win by being fancy heroes instead of focusing on the less-fun elements and playing as a team.

Reactions: Ehran

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I don’t think anyone would care that they were 0-2 if they didn’t look like the same dog shit team we’ve been watching for years, who can’t complete simple passes, win 50/50 puck battles, or win races to pucks.

They also aren’t good at the details again because they’re lower IQ first rounders who all think they can win by being fancy heroes instead of focusing on the less-fun elements and playing as a team.
Is that what you saw in these games?

There was definitely some overhandling, trying to get cute with the passes, etc, but I don't think this group refuses to do the less fun stuff. Some guys are slower and might lose races, some guys are weaker and might lose battles, but I don't think the team has shown that as the identity.

To me they looked disorganized, which hopefully can be coached.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
The flip side of the low IQ thing is that we have a bunch of guys that can put the puck in the back of the net. Idk if it was an intentional strategy or happenstance, but the teams seems to have prioritized guys with some scoring touch.

Over the past few seasons tage, tuch, cozens, quinn have had moments that drive people nuts but then pull some goals from thin air. Kulich can be similar, and Skinner was. We didn't get those in the first 2 games, but I imagine they will come. Shooting 4% against one of the Cup favorites for the year, had the expected outcome, and probably isn't a complete reflection on the team's ability

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad