The 2024-2025 Roster Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
My current "roster"

Peterka-Thompson-Tuch
Zucker-Cozens-Quinn
Benson-McLeod-Rosen
Malenstyn-Lafferty-NAK
Greenway*/Krebs**

Bryam-Dahlin
Power-Joker
Samuelsson-Clifton
Gilbert/Bryson

UPL
Reimier
Levi***

* I wouldn't be shocked to see Greenway moved simply because he lacks the footspeed to keep up to Ruff's system.
** Krebs is likely moved if he isn't signed soon-ish.
*** Levi is the effective #2...but is sent to Rochester to get starts/starters net in practices. Any major injury or UPL struggle and Levi will be back up. They are likely carrying a roster of 22 to allow Levi to move back and forth as needed.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Moving on from greenway next year makes some sense because Wahlberg is gonna force his way into his spot. Moving him now makes no sense. Hes the security blanket defensively benson/rosen/kulich are gonna need when they all eventually get time.

Line 3 needs a better "trigger man" so id prefer kulich to Rosen but each likes their own horse. The rest is fine.
My current "roster"

Peterka-Thompson-Tuch
Zucker-Cozens-Quinn
Benson-McLeod-Rosen
Malenstyn-Lafferty-NAK
Greenway*/Krebs**

Bryam-Dahlin
Power-Joker
Samuelsson-Clifton
Gilbert/Bryson

UPL
Reimier
Levi***

* I wouldn't be shocked to see Greenway moved simply because he lacks the footspeed to keep up to Ruff's system.
** Krebs is likely moved if he isn't signed soon-ish.
*** Levi is the effective #2...but is sent to Rochester to get starts/starters net in practices. Any major injury or UPL struggle and Levi will be back up. They are likely carrying a roster of 22 to allow Levi to move back and forth as needed.

Reactions: brian_griffin

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Feels like there is one spot in the top-12 forwards that might be up for grabs during training camp/preseason. Krebs, Greenway, Kulich, Rosen, etc. will be vying for it.

I also think Levi will get a decent number of NHL spot starts at home, while primarily being the starter in the AHL.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Feels like there is one spot in the top-12 forwards that might be up for grabs during training camp/preseason. Krebs, Greenway, Kulich, Rosen, etc. will be vying for it.
I can’t imagine Ruff sees Greenway lumped in with that group of youngsters.

I have no idea what his plans are for the lines are but a rough starting point would be….

Peterka/Tage/Tuch
Zucker/Cozens/Quinn
Benson/McLeod/Greenway
Aube-Kubel/Lafferty/Malenstyn

Thats hardly a locked in lineup. Its just one of a few different ways things could go. I think our top two centers are a lock. McLeod is most likely 3C but can play wing. Aube-Kubel/Malenstyn are a locks as 4th wingers together. The entire 4th line likely stays together but they have talked about Lafferty’s versatility. It’s going to be fun watching things shake out.

I also think Levi will get a decent number of NHL spot starts at home, while primarily being the starter in the AHL.
I hope they don’t play this game. Either Levi starts here or with Amerks. If it’s with Amerks he should only come up due to injuries.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I'm familiar enough with this board to know that it's the season where this message is highly relevant

1000012314.jpg

Last edited:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

I cannot imagine a scenario short of injury where Greenway is fighting for a top-12 spot. Yeah, he might not be as fast as some of the guys we brought in -- but he plays a game Ruff is going to like/love.

If a kid comes in (Rosen/Kulich/etc) and proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that he belongs, then I think it's FAR more likely that Aube-Kubel sits and Greenway shifts down to that spot on the 4th line. While he had a great run as a 4th liner with Washington last year, he's only ever had 1 year where he's been anything close to a full-time NHLer. Hell, even last year he played some in Hershey.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
I'm extremely high on Wahlberg but locking him into a spot on the big team next year seems premature
Yep let him simmer in Rochester while we bring the older prospects along first let him gain more confidence in his offensive game could end up being one of the better players if he could also work on getting more explosive and an all around better skater

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Yep let him simmer in Rochester while we bring the older prospects along first let him gain more confidence in his offensive game could end up being one of the better players if he could also work on getting more explosive and an all around better skater
Thats what this year is for

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Thats what this year is for
For roster players we have TT, cozens, jjp, quinn, tuch,benson as the core forwards next year. We still have rosen,kulich, ostlund and now probably helenius ahead of wahlberg along with neuchev and kisakov ahead of him too and we have McLeod and our newly acquired 4th line coming back next year only guy I don't see us bringing back is zucker and possibly Greenway he most likely isn't seeing nhl time until he is 21 at the earliest even then I see him as a serious option for a roster spot by the time he is 22

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I hope they don’t play this game. Either Levi starts here or with Amerks. If it’s with Amerks he should only come up due to injuries.

I see Levi being called and playing in 3 of 4 or 4 of 6 stretches

I think the plan us a 13/7/2 roster with sd n open spot for callups.
I'm extremely high on Wahlberg but locking him into a spot on the big team next year seems premature
I'm not rushing him. Do you want him on the club in a 4th line role? I dont

Reactions: elchud

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
I cannot imagine a scenario short of injury where Greenway is fighting for a top-12 spot. Yeah, he might not be as fast as some of the guys we brought in -- but he plays a game Ruff is going to like/love.

If a kid comes in (Rosen/Kulich/etc) and proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that he belongs, then I think it's FAR more likely that Aube-Kubel sits and Greenway shifts down to that spot on the 4th line. While he had a great run as a 4th liner with Washington last year, he's only ever had 1 year where he's been anything close to a full-time NHLer. Hell, even last year he played some in Hershey.
Maybe I'm going all 4D chess about this, but I'm thinking that's why Adams gave NAK 1.5M for one year -- it's a waivers poison pill in case he gets pushed down to 14F. It was probably explicitly part of the negotiation, too. Do I have that right?

With Krebs holding out, there may be less pressure. I don't know if that was part of the calculation.

I don't know WTF Krebs is doing. He's gonna be selling real estate in Calgary if he doesn't play ball, and soon. Gotta get his agent in line.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Maybe I'm going all 4D chess about this, but I'm thinking that's why Adams gave NAK 1.5M for one year -- it's a waivers poison pill in case he gets pushed down to 14F. It was probably explicitly part of the negotiation, too. Do I have that right?

With Krebs holding out, there may be less pressure. I don't know if that was part of the calculation.

I don't know WTF Krebs is doing. He's gonna be selling real estate in Calgary if he doesn't play ball, and soon. Gotta get his agent in line.
I understand your logic. I dont think 1.5M is enough to move the needle on waiver claiming. A 2.5+ would be a bigger deterrent

Buffalo gave him a 1-2 yr contract offer for around $1M. He wants more.

Buffalo can just use the kids in his place

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I understand your logic. I dont think 1.5M is enough to move the needle on waiver claiming. A 2.5+ would be a bigger deterrent

Buffalo gave him a 1-2 yr contract offer for around $1M. He wants more.

Buffalo can just use the kids in his place
It may have gotten to - this is the offer, take it or we can try to move you -and then - it's out there but not the biggest priority right now. In which case Krebs will take the low 11th hour contract or be moved for something that has some sort of value to the team.

He is kinda versatile so not the worst 13th but it's possible that they would prefer giving ice time to youngsters making Krebs a permanent press box 13th for the year or just being filtered through waivers.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
With the volume of prospects coming up, unless Peterka or Quinn prove to a bonafide top line forward this year (40G+ or 80 pts +)....bridge, bridge, bridge. Or package them for some actual top line talent.

We aren't lacking in talent depth, we are lacking in high end forward talent.

If anything, anyone who isn't a core piece is either moved after their ELC or moved during their bridge contract. One of Adams biggest mistakes as a GM is trying to lock down every player to 7+ year deals the minute they show any promise.

Bridge, bridge, bridge, maintain flexibility, and upgrade the group when you get a chance.

Reactions: DJN21

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
With the volume of prospects coming up, unless Peterka or Quinn prove to a bonafide top line forward this year (40G+ or 80 pts +)....bridge, bridge, bridge. Or package them for some actual top line talent.

We aren't lacking in talent depth, we are lacking in high end forward talent.

If anything, anyone who isn't a core piece is either moved after their ELC or moved during their bridge contract. One of Adams biggest mistakes as a GM is trying to lock down every player to 7+ year deals the minute they show any promise.

Bridge, bridge, bridge, maintain flexibility, and upgrade the group when you get a chance.
As I've said brfore...

I see them getting bridges for 2-3 yrs then come summer of 2026-2028 you could see some trades of players happen.

At Center you have Tage, Cozens, McLeod, Helenius, Ostlund, Kulich

At RE you have Tuch resigned but then you have s bibi of prospects after Quinn and rosen.

On LW you have Peterka and benson. Then prospects.

In a few years you have a better idea of players and what to keep.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad