The 2024-2025 Roster Thread

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
It's absolutely possible/plausible that this team isn't it.

I'm absolutely not willing to say that after 2 games this year.
The team is largely the same, they removed Skinner and added a 4th line. If there is a correlation of those players making everyone better then I get the optimism to not right them off so early but to me this is game 84 under this team. I guess you can give Lindy Ruff some credit in the optimism department in hoping he changes the way they play but what I see currently is a team that cant play under any kind of pressure and hockey is all pressure comes playoffs and the push for playoffs. I don't think Lindy can teach that.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Literally the Sabres fan experience with Adams as a GM:

View attachment 911302

Adams does one smart thing this summer, signs a veteran goalie so Levi can collect starts in Rochester....and he can't even just do the logical thing.

It's beyond madness at this point. Just setting up rakes for himself to step on.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Remember: In 2022/23, the Devils finished with 112 points -- one behind Carolina for the division -- with the 2nd best goal differential in the East. They won a playoff round and then got housed by a very good, veteran Carolina team.

Last year, the Devils were absolutely done in by injury and goaltending that was truly awful and crippling.

I think a LOT of people around here are forgetting just how good this Devil squad was and can be.
They got absolutely taken to the woodshed both games. Come on lol

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Sign a goalie so you can not play him and get him claimed off waivers. Go through that trouble so you can platoon two guys that should be starters in their respective leagues. Leave Rochester barren. There's nothing logical about this. There's no hidden answers, KA really is just dumb.

Reactions: Fjordy and ceky

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
EDIT: The idea that Tage isn’t an elite talent doesn’t jive with what he’s done since becoming a center

Tage is a human highlight reel. His individual skill is unquestioned and he can absolutely change the tide of a game with his individual effort. I love that he wants to be a Sabre and that he puts forth the effort every game.

That said, I don't want Tage as my top line center if I am trying to compete. He is not a guy that makes his wingers better. His hockey sense is no where near elite and he just doesn't control the flow of the game when he is on the ice like the top ten centers in the league do.

I don't want to pin all the Sabres issues on just Thompson, because it is just one a several key issues I think that is holding back the team, but his game relies on him making individual plays a lot more than propping up his linemates, which makes the Sabres top line much easier to defend. With Tage as the number one center, this team will need to rely on their second and third line to produce more consistently if they are going to be successful. If this team is going to take the next step with this core, I think they do it with two interchangeable 1A/1B top lines, where both have to take advantage of defensive mismatches when they draw lesser defenders.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Ummmm.....yes?

Kind of supports my point?
The point is that this team is in “win now” mode by their own admission. A playoff-contender caliber team shouldn’t get absolutely dominated beyond belief in back to back games against ANY team. Making excuses that they only looked bad because the Devils are good is silly and lets them off the hook for horrendous performance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad