Prospect Info: The 2024-2025 Prospect Thread: Part 1: Skate or Die!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Mynio 2nd in WHL dman scoring. D prospect pool looking solid right now

Tom Willander
Sawyer Mynio
Elias Pettersson
Kirill Kudryavtsev
I could actually see all these guys one day playing in the NHL. When was the last time the Canucks had four d-men in the system who were legitimate NHL prospects?

You probably have to back to the Burke-Nonis era when guys like Edler, Bieksa and Tanev were playing for the Manitoba Moose.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay26 and SiZ

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I could actually see all these guys one day playing in the NHL. When was the last time the Canucks had for d-men in the system who were legitimate NHL prospects?

You probably have to back to the Burke-Nonis era when guys like Edler, Bieksa and Tanev were playing for the Manitoba Moose.
I think we need to pump the brakes a bit here. At one time Rathbone and a few others were all considered as solid bets as well.
It’s certainly unlikely that we end up anywhere close to Edler, Tanev and Bieksa.

Reactions: wetcoast

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Mynio is 2nd in WHL scoring for defencemen right now.

3rd is Landon DuPont...who is 15 years old. That kid is a freak. He would be drafted in the first round this season, and he's not even eligible until 2027.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
I could actually see all these guys one day playing in the NHL. When was the last time the Canucks had four d-men in the system who were legitimate NHL prospects?

Try to keep up. Tanev was a Gillis signing. And Edler and Kevin didn't play together in Manitoba other than a handful of games maybe after Edler's junior season was done, if at all. Just throw enough shit against the wall and hope some of it sticks I guess.

Reactions: wetcoast

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Holy reactionary pile on for VJ...

Yah VJ might be a little optimistic but look at the coaching that is in place, the orgs willingness to let new players gain experience between levels and add that this mgmt team has shown they can pick our diamonds in the rough.

The current group has a lot of potential for different reasons than the previous bumpercrop of NHL D from past eras but the optimism is founded from actual results and trends.

Foote, Gonch, Sedins, Malhotra, Komisarik and a bunch more INTELLIGENT Ex-NHLers are putting this group way ahead of similar groups of prospects from the past.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Holy reactionary pile on for VJ...

Yah VJ might be a little optimistic but look at the coaching that is in place, the orgs willingness to let new players gain experience between levels and add that this mgmt team has shown they can pick our diamonds in the rough.

The current group has a lot of potential for different reasons than the previous bumpercrop of NHL D from past eras but the optimism is founded from actual results and trends.

Foote, Gonch, Sedins, Malhotra, Komisarik and a bunch more INTELLIGENT Ex-NHLers are putting this group way ahead of similar groups of prospects from the past.

Oh, I think there's plenty of reason for measured optimism with some of the D prospects. I was just referencing VJ's tendency to restate almost verbatim basically the same formulaic thing (when was the last time ____, certainly never with Benning/have to go back to the days of Brian Burke) every time anything happens. It's like their annual oh never ever have we been able to say the Abbotsford Canucks are so stacked post that they make seemingly every year in like September.

Anyway, I found it:
. . .
But when was the last time the Canucks added three highly-coveted players like McWard, Hirose and Sasson at the end of any NCAA season? Certainly never happened with Benning.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Mynio is not only a legitimate prospect, he should be only behind Willander and Lekkerimaki in the rankings.
Perhaps but I hope that you are wrong because that would mean that another prospect is also developing very nicely as I think Mynio is given his draft spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad