Prospect Info: The 2024-2025 Prospect Thread: Part 1: Skate or Die!

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Different post draft this year as juniors are in full swing and the Canucks had 3 picks in the top 90 previous year vs none in this past draft. Willander, Brzustewicz and Mynio all started pretty strong. Some excitement was building.

Fernstrom in tough in the SHL (at least he's getting regular time there)
Patterson hasn't found his feet yet after his early 2 game suspension.
Romani's injury.
Alcos and the Swiss kid I'm not gonna be able to spell his name for a while. Have the long road again. San son nens I think I can remember that.

Hopefully someone starts to break out.

Reactions: Lindgren

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks Army giving D-Petey solid marks for his work in Abbotsford so far. He's still only 20, but starting to get some important minutes in Abbotsford.

Coaches seem to be trusting him in all situations. A year or two in Abby, and I could see this guy making it as an everyday d-man on the Vancouver blueline.

Reactions: Grantham

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
The mixed reviews for D-Petey really throw me off. I'm not privy to watching him play so my knowledge is extremely limited.

My instincts are telling me he's going to be a fringe 3rd pairing or 7th defenseman because his shortcomings seem to be with handling the puck and making the right decisions. But because he is physically a beast he will be able to get by at the NHL level at a limited capacity.

Reactions: Hodgy

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
One of Willanders primary weakness is trying to juke an opponent at the blue line.

Similar to how a QB practices an RPO (run pass option) where the QB puts the ball right in the running backs chest and he can schoose whether to keep it or not.

Willander is so easy to read.

He is amazing at getting shots through the initial defender.

But like JT Miller and Hughes where they cross at the blue line and you dont really know who's gonna keep the puck at the cross.

Willander gives it away, he is so easy to predict.
So he's gotta work on that.

Reactions: Grantham

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Some D-Petey from last night, with some Sasson mixed in.
Wow!....Impressive. Malhotra had D-Petey out there on an extended four-on-four and he was part of a group that owned the puck in the Eagles zone.

He's far more mobile and confident with the puck than I remember him, even at the prospects tournament. He's now playing top-four minutes with Abbotsford, and show no signs that he can't handle the assignment.

In the early going, one of the most encouraging things about this Abbotsford team is the play of their 20-year old d-men, Pettersson and Kudryavtsev.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Last edited:

David Bruce Banner

Acid Raven Bed Burn
Mar 25, 2008
Waaaaay over there
The mixed reviews for D-Petey really throw me off. I'm not privy to watching him play so my knowledge is extremely limited.

My instincts are telling me he's going to be a fringe 3rd pairing or 7th defenseman because his shortcomings seem to be with handling the puck and making the right decisions. But because he is physically a beast he will be able to get by at the NHL level at a limited capacity.

He’ll never be any kind of offensive force, but he’s big, mobile and seems able to learn.
Considering where he was drafted, he’s already beat the odds getting as far as he has. It’s an encouraging sign that, thus far, he seems able to clear each hurdle placed in his way. Eventually.
Im thinking, if all goes really well, he’ll be a solid 3rd pairing guy, one day. Maybe even able to be the defensive conscience of a higher level pairing in the right situation.
But, I’m not going to get ahead of myself…he’s got a year or two in the A ahead of him and he going to have to take some serious steps.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
I went back and tried to watch Dorrington at North Eastern since I saw that they played Denver twice (best team in NCAA) and got absolutely spanked twice in a row. But the NCHC had their blackout on their games so I couldn't catch the replays. North Eastern is a pretty good program ranked 17th in the nation.

Dorrington got named assistant captain to the Huskies this year and is playing on the top pairing, 2nd PP, 1st PK. I just watched the replay of his game vs Stonehill and he is a an interesting prospect. Keep in mind, it's just one game vs a bad program.

6'2" and he plays a mean game. This guy literally crosschecks anyone close to the net. Saw him elbow someone too along the boards. :laugh: He's surprisingly very mobile and plays a very confident game. Skates around with some swagger and can clearly handle the puck. He made some nice transition passes while under pressure which was encouraging.

I'll try and catch another game when they play Maine next week and see how he plays against a better team. But he doesn't seem like someone we should write off. I am really curious as how he played against Denver.

2022 is looking like a pretty decent draft for the Canucks.

Here is his assist on that game:

Last edited:

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
I went back and tried to watch Dorrington at North Eastern since I saw that they played Denver twice (best team in NCAA) and got absolutely spanked twice in a row. But the NCHC had their blackout on their games so I couldn't catch the replays. North Eastern is a pretty good program ranked 17th in the nation.

Dorrington got named assistant captain to the Huskies this year and is playing on the top pairing, 2nd PP, 1st PK. I just watched the replay of his game vs Stonehill and he is a an interesting prospect. Keep in mind, it's just one game vs a bad program.

6'2" and he plays a mean game. This guy literally crosschecks anyone close to the net. Saw him elbow someone too along the boards. :laugh: He's surprisingly very mobile and plays a very confident game. Skates around with some swagger and can clearly handle the puck. He made some nice transition passes while under pressure which was encouraging.

I'll try and catch another game when they play Maine next week and see how he plays against a better team. But he doesn't seem like someone we should write off. I am really curious as how he played against Denver.

2022 is looking like a pretty decent draft for the Canucks.

Here is his assist on that game:

Love this scouting report! He sounds like the kind of player I really hope pans out for us.

Reactions: WTG

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Love this scouting report! He sounds like the kind of player I really hope pans out for us.
No problem!

One other thing about Dorrington to take into account is that this is his 3rd year at North Eastern and he turned 20 this April so he's quite young. Playing this many minutes in his third year is a really good sign, it means that he's going to get top TOI for at least two years before turning pro at a top 20 program (small correction NE is the 19th best program in NCAA).

ESPN luckily covers hockey east so anyone with ESPN can catch them playing Maine (9th best program) on Oct 25th. I'm curious how he handles teams with better players and more speed (no offense to Stonehill).

Has anyone else had the chance to watch him?

Reactions: Jay26

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
My instincts are telling me he's going to be a fringe 3rd pairing or 7th defenseman because his shortcomings seem to be with handling the puck and making the right decisions.

Im thinking, if all goes really well, he’ll be a solid 3rd pairing guy, one day.

I think he could just as easily be a top 2 or 3 guy as well. There are lots of d men who don't get drafted high, but still progress to a high level. Edler was drafted in the 3rd round, played a full season in the minors, then was pretty much a full timer at age 21. Bieksa wasn't a regular on the Canucks til he was 25 years old.

If Pettersson is standing out right now as 20 year old, that's a pretty good sign as a defenseman that takes longer to develop.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I think he could just as easily be a top 2 or 3 guy as well. There are lots of d men who don't get drafted high, but still progress to a high level. Edler was drafted in the 3rd round, played a full season in the minors, then was pretty much a full timer at age 21. Bieksa wasn't a regular on the Canucks til he was 25 years old.

If Pettersson is standing out right now as 20 year old, that's a pretty good sign as a defenseman that takes longer to develop.

You could say the same about any prospect in our system. 'Oh hey look at how Alex Edler turned out!'. It's not what I'm talking about. I understand development isn't linear and obviously we aren't going to perfectly predict where a 20 yr old goes from here.

I'm saying his criticisms seem to be in the 'decision making' and 'processing the game' camp. Those are concerning shortcomings. We will see him improve in those areas over the next few years and what he turns in to will be the degree in which he improved. The baseline is the problem in those areas when projecting D Petey to anything higher than a 3rd pairing dman though. Hope we are wrong there.

To touch back on Edler. I had season's tickets to the Kelowna Rockets when Alex Edler played there. He was what I would call a stalwart. Never took himself out of position. When he hit it was with purpose. He processed the game extremely fast and quarterbacked the best PP in the league that year. His passing was always tape to tape. You could see a projectable NHL player there pretty much right away. Not certain D Petey carries the same type of skillset to translate. Anyways this year will be a massive teller for D Petey.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
You could say the same about any prospect in our system. 'Oh hey look at how Alex Edler turned out!'. It's not what I'm talking about. I understand development isn't linear and obviously we aren't going to perfectly predict where a 20 yr old goes from here.

I'm saying his criticisms seem to be in the 'decision making' and 'processing the game' camp. Those are concerning shortcomings. We will see him improve in those areas over the next few years and what he turns in to will be the degree in which he improved. The baseline is the problem in those areas when projecting D Petey to anything higher than a 3rd pairing dman though. Hope we are wrong there.

To touch back on Edler. I had season's tickets to the Kelowna Rockets when Alex Edler played there. He was what I would call a stalwart. Never took himself out of position. When he hit it was with purpose. He processed the game extremely fast and quarterbacked the best PP in the league that year. His passing was always tape to tape. You could see a projectable NHL player there pretty much right away. Not certain D Petey carries the same type of skillset to translate. Anyways this year will be a massive teller for D Petey.
well said. It's natural with his skating nationality and stature that we are drawn to comparing him to Ohlund and Edler but the reality is he's not at the same level at the same ages. Im a firm believer that players have a 5-7 yr runway for improvement once they turn 18 so it's really a matter of how much he can improve.

I agree with @krutovsdonut he will be a NHLer unless something goes completely awry. What an excellent pick and prospect. The ceiling is very much a work in progress but he's smart and athletic enough to be a shut down top4. I've been steadfast he's probably a better Ekholm comp where he may take awhile to marinate but be worth the wait.

Last edited:

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

Pettersson is not "standing out" in the AHL. Edler was easily a better player as a 20YO.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
you saw edler's first four games as a moose?

No, did you? Have you seen Pettersson's AHL games? I have.

I saw Edler play a bunch of games with Vancouver that season. If Pettersson blasts himself up the lineup and turns into a legitimate top-pair defenceman in the AHL this season, then we can warrant a discussion about Pettersson being the next Edler. Go ask Orcatown what the odds are, if you don't like my assessment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad