Prospect Info: The 2024-2025 Prospect Thread: Part 1: Skate or Die!

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Whenever I watch Brzuwesticz I see a player that makes wow plays but all the little things I look for in a defencemen he can't do. Willander is the exact opposite. He definitely needs to really up his transition game, however. I'm not looking for point totals but want to see the ice completely tilted when he's on because he's pushing the puck the other way as quickly and smoothly as possible. He isn't there yet.
Fair enough, everyone looks at prospects differently. Brzuwesticz isn't a canucks prospect anymore so no sense clogging up the prospects thread with a back and forth of him as a prospect any longer.

I'll watch BU tonight and see him play again and see if it changes my mind. Not sure I can watch the whole game but I should be able to watch most of it. Maybe I'll see if I can record some footage too.

Reactions: arttk and Vector

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i don't rate brzustewicz much (not really dynamic enough for his role in the nhl) but i'd rate kudryavtsev above willander right now and i think mynio has a real shot to eclipse him also. willander's skating hides the poor processing that is going to hold him back imo

• Wow
Reactions: Szechwan

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Based on how this Canucks blueline looks in the early going, I'd say Wilander might not spend a lot of time in Abbotsford. They may have to force-feed him into the NHL.
Given Myer's injury status, the log jam in Abby might start resolving itself shortly.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Willander could play on an NHL 3rd pairing right now. Brzustewicz probably wouldn’t stick in the AHL right now, no matter how many points he scores playing 4th forward in junior.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
All six CHL prospects play tonight.

Anyone have a favourite site for tracking NCAA results? Everywhere I look I find sites cluttered and odd—not easy to find a simple list of games with results and stats.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I caught quite a bit of games of Mynio last season and one thing about his skating is that it’s explosive. He takes these really long powerful strides and his edgework is incredible. He’s the fastest skater on his team and he’d probably be our fastest skater on the Canucks right now.

His defensive ability is also extremely impressive. Seattle has had major turnover since last season and his +/- doesn’t show the full story. The little things like gap control, using the net as a screen and exploding down the ice for a quick zone exit + dump for line change, puck pursuit and tracking in the corners, aggressiveness (he’s a feisty player in front of his net), shot blocking, etc. Very well rounded defensively.

His offensive game has taken massive leaps as well and by the end of last season he made his way on the #1 PP and he’s been there since. His passing ability + vision are his strongest suits. I remember during the prospect tournament the amount of long range breakout passes he was making and none of the forwards were able to receive it and resulted in a ton of icings. Pretty similar situation in Seattle where most of the forwards don’t have that skill to accept his hard and crisp breakout passes cleanly and it ruins so many 2 on 1’s or rush chances.

The big thing is that he clearly needs to get bigger. He’s 6’1 181lbs, I expect him to add considerable amounts of muscle and meat considering his scrawny legs. He doesn’t get pushed around a lot right now (amazingly plays a pretty robust physical game himself at the junior level), but once he turns pro it’s going to be a completely different experience. He was overwhelmed a bunch of times by AHL’ers during the prospect tourney and you can see physically he’s just not there yet.

Him taking that next step offensively this year will project extremely well for him in the future and his chances of making the NHL. I easily have him higher than D-Petey on my list in terms of potential.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad