Prospect Info: The 2024-2025 Prospect Thread: Part 1: Skate or Die!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Really hoping Fernstrom has an enormous season and we have a huge steal coming through our prospect ranks . Really excited about him and Patterson plus Alriksson this season .

Can’t remember the last time we had this many prospects to follow who I was excited about who were picked in rounds 3 and beyond

Reactions: Lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Really hoping Fernstrom has an enormous season and we have a huge steal coming through our prospect ranks . Really excited about him and Patterson plus Alriksson this season .

Can’t remember the last time we had this many prospects to follow who I was excited about who were picked in rounds 3 and beyond
Arliksson is the guy for me. When you're getting Rick Tocchet's attention--and in a positive way--that's a kid with some upside. Apparently he hasn't stood out in the main camp. But his performance in Penticton against kids his own age, is grounds for excitement.

And for an 18-year old kid like Fernstrom to make his SHL team is a big positive. He doesn't turn 19 until mid-February. Assuming that both Arliksson and Fernstrom could be eligible to join Sweden's World Jr. Hockey team, along with Tom Wilaner, who's an 'automatic'

Would really be something if three Canuck prospects made Sweden's World Jr. team this season.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I'll probably eat my words somewhat down the road but Riley Patterson was extremely good for a 18yr old 4th rounder and left the best early impression for me.

The scouts see a lot more and get info were not privy too like when they hit there growth stages and likelihood for more physical/athletic development but his 2nd half of last year was top5 for U18 OHL prospects and that's ahead of a couple first rounders.

If you remember the Horvat draft Gillis and the scouts took notice of Bo's meteoritic playoffs and thick frame to have him rocket into the top10 from a mid to late 1st by most lists early in 2013. Only say this as obviously he's not Horvat but sometimes scouts get stuck in on early season rankings and wont adjust their lists too much and i believe we got outstanding value as a result

Looking at the long list of 3rd to 5th rd selected forwards i cant remember anyone in the last 30yrs that has come to camp as a 18yr old and not looked overwhelmed. Albeit some were in the NCAA which prohibited that opportunity and that includes Alriksson who looked bad last year and Bloom who at 20 looked lost

I kinda liked the analogy that @MS used in terms of swimming up stream into harder to get to pools . At the top of 7 or 8 pools in pool 1 is NHL core players and drafted kids get plunked in somewhere based on how they show once they come to a camp or turn pro and where they were picked. I would fully expect a 4th round forward to be in pool 7 or 8 but after TC summer development camp and youngstars i see a guy who could easily with some standard development steps be moved or moving into pool 3 or 4 which would be a decent to very good AHLer.

Anyway i liked his game. Gonna keep an eye on Riley. Not to get ahead of myself but our own Rick Tocchet was drafted 121 Patrick Sharp, Drake Batherson, Zack Hyman were all in the same range. Long road ahead and incredibly tough and rare for later picks to swim up faster moving current into the top pools.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Riley Patterson was kind of an enigma in his first year of draft eligibility. Last season was his rookie year in the OHL, after making the jump from Junior A in Ontario. He got off to a painfully slow start with Barrie and saw his ice time cut; but by mid-season he turned the corner was on fire in the last half of the season and into the playoffs.

Unfortunately for Riley, his slow start and his final stat line probably cost him in terms of draft position. But 29 goals and 33 assists still make him one of the top scoring rookies in the OHL.

Obviously the Canucks followed him closely, and figure they're getting the player who had a pretty dominant last half of the season, not the green rookie who took time to adjust to the older and faster OHL. Looking more and more like they guessed 'right'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad