GDT: The 2023 NHL Entry Draft - Nashville, TN - 4:00pm (AZ) - ESPN, ESPN+

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
cleanhits.substack.com
I think I cracked Bill Armstrong's code.

Since Cooley, here are Arizona's last 11 draft picks:

1. Connor Geekie (6'3)
2. Maverick Lamoureux (6'7)
3. Artyom Duda (6'1)
4. Julian Lutz (6'2)
5. Miko Matikka (6'3)
6. Jeremy Langlois (6'1)
7. Matthew Morden (6'4)
8. Maksymilian Zuber (6'4)
9. Adam Zlnka (5'11)
10. Dmitri Simashev (6'4)
11. Daniil But (6'5)
Yep he wouldn't draft me. Not even give me a look lil

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Reactions: Jagged Ice

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Arizona Republic doing its best to poison the well against us

I mean, seriously - this is as clickbaity as it gets. Not a single assessment quoted in the article says anything more incisive than, "These aren't the guys *I* would have taken!!!!1"

I f*cking hate sports journalism.

Athletic and Daily Faceoff rated our draft high. So who is he even referring to? Yahoo? Sporting news? Nobody reads their hockey opinions for a reason.

Cluff is the latest guy in the sports department they dropped the Coyotes coverage on. When they brought Jose Romero in two years ago I thought they'd finally give the franchise a break.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
And yet that's basically what he did, based on the evidence. From what I gather, the only team he talked to seriously was Philadelphia. His reticence to talk to other teams, combined with him essentially courting the Flyers directly, is tantamount to choosing his landing spot, because the only way he comes over to North America is if he's motivated personally to do so (and therefore negotiates out of his KHL contract and clears all the other Russia-specific hurdles there would be).

Michkov had all the leverage that a CHL or NCAA prospect wouldn't, both because of his context and his skill. The fact that he allegedly went ahead and used it is one of the reasons why a lot of teams didn't bother to draft him, his "franchise-changing talent" notwithstanding.
All week all we heard was he wanted to go to Washington, and Washington wanted him and was going to try and trade up. You are reading way too much into this. Michkov would have gone to whomever drafted him, and he would be happy.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
All week all we heard was he wanted to go to Washington, and Washington wanted him and was going to try and trade up. You are reading way too much into this. Michkov would have gone to whomever drafted him, and he would be happy.
That’s just obviously not true. He flat out wouldn’t even sit down to meet with AZ according to Morgan.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Really? Where did you see this?
From his latest gophnx draft article…”When the Montréal Canadiens chose Austrian defenseman David Reinbacher with the fifth overall pick, talented SKA Saint Petersburg forward Matvei Michkov was available for the taking. The problem for the Coyotes was that after meeting with Michkov before the draft, they came away with the distinct impression that he wanted no part of the franchise.”

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
That’s just obviously not true. He flat out wouldn’t even sit down to meet with AZ according to Morgan.
He apparently met w AZ but the Coyotes came away from the meeting not impressed as it sounds like it was obvious he did not want to be drafted by their organization.

RABBIT

AKA Turd Ferguson
From his latest gophnx draft article…”When the Montréal Canadiens chose Austrian defenseman David Reinbacher with the fifth overall pick, talented SKA Saint Petersburg forward Matvei Michkov was available for the taking. The problem for the Coyotes was that after meeting with Michkov before the draft, they came away with the distinct impression that he wanted no part of the franchise.”
Oh, I saw that. I thought you meant that he refused a meeting with us. Thanks!

So my mistake, he did meet…but showed zero interest.
All good!

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
We'll call them the "Ent Line."
I have just read the Hobbit, the Unexpected Journey, and the Two Towers to my 8 year old. We just started Return of the King. He’s loving the books. But my wife gives me some seriously strange looks as I’m doing all of the voices and sound effects with maximum gusto.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Arizona Republic doing its best to poison the well against us

I mean, seriously - this is as clickbaity as it gets. Not a single assessment quoted in the article says anything more incisive than, "These aren't the guys *I* would have taken!!!!1"

I f*cking hate sports journalism.
This writer nobody has ever heard of cited exclusively other writers nobody has ever heard of. His first source is a writer for SBNation. That’s not even a paid job. These are essentially fan bloggers.

Cluff is the latest guy in the sports department they dropped the Coyotes coverage on. When they brought Jose Romero in two years ago I thought they'd finally give the franchise a break.
Romero is horrendous. Terrible writer with terrible opinions. And he’s dumb.

• Haha
Reactions: Jagged Ice

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Pronman is probably my favourite in the business so this is nice to see. Today has been a very easy day to separate the real pros from the idiots who watch highlight clips and read mainstream rankings.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I like our picks in principal. I wouldn't have made them, but this is not my team. You can see Bill's vision starting to form in our prospects and even future picks. ALL those picks, stashed away to use to draft or trade for something more immidiate. The team is like a draft away from having the best pool in the NHL. That will be so legit to draw from over the next 8 years, especially when guys like Cooley, Guenther, Keller, and others are making big money. We're going to draft so many talented players, even with an average pick success rate, we'll be flowing with fresh talent.

We're also targeting players who will be valued in the playoffs.

He may not be building my team, but I can see what he's trying to do, and I like it.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I like our picks in principal. I wouldn't have made them, but this is not my team. You can see Bill's vision starting to form in our prospects and even future picks. ALL those picks, stashed away to use to draft or trade for something more immidiate. The team is like a draft away from having the best pool in the NHL. That will be so legit to draw from over the next 8 years, especially when guys like Cooley, Guenther, Keller, and others are making big money. We're going to draft so many talented players, even with an average pick success rate, we'll be flowing with fresh talent.

We're also targeting players who will be valued in the playoffs.

He may not be building my team, but I can see what he's trying to do, and I like it.
I do too , my only issue is when he talks BPA , and then picks for need or rounding and “stocking the cupboards”. Like one of the scouts said today “now that we rounded our group out we , next year we can grab any player”paraphrasing of course etc

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
They also learned how to speak english for no reason.
This is honestly a great point with Simashev. The fact that his English is pretty good for his country at 18 is a really clear indicator that he's probably curious, interested, and even excited to come to the NHL if he can.

Reactions: Prarievarg

slv

Sep 19, 2012
astral
Same thing almost every year. Coyotes make weird selections, we say something like WTF, than we watch some highlights and change our minds to something like "hey, look, the Guy can really play". But every hockey prospect has talent, especially in the top 50 of the draft. Gormley, Perlini, baby Sam, Boeds and others possessed great talent. Hayton was a reach but we convinced ourselves he deserves that 5 ov. Draft is not about getting talent, draft is about make right projection and take right guys. Then size vs skill. We passed on Marner but were we right?..

Very difficult to judge our first round. Two russians? Would I be happier if we ended up with Dvorski + Yager? absolutely not, I am not high on both, though they both kind of safer picks but where the risk is low reward is also low. But if we ended with Leonard and Wood, or Leonard + Simashev/But, or Simashev/But + Moore I definitely would be happier.

Little bit too much risk was taken but they have credit to do it. But here comes the responsibility.

Reactions: Freddy Sjostrom

wbwing

Aug 28, 2014
No... Most of this board was pretty livid about Hayton for a long time. It wasn't until a year later after his world juniors (and Zadina being even more unimpressive) that the tune changed a bit. But you know the biggest tragedy about the Hayton pick? In the end Chayka and co might have not even have been reaching very much at all. Maybe not over Hughes, but he wasn't wildly over picked. But then they proceeded to darn near ruin the prospect with the worst handling of a young player I have ever seen. He may be rounding into form a bit, but I wonder how much quicker he may have developed had he not sat for essentially what 2 years? And I also worry that his ceiling may have permanently been stunted because instead of working on his creativity and skill against his peers in critical growth years, he was trying to figure out how to be a better 3rd line checker so he got out of Rick Tocchet's dog house and into a game.

We may have similarly damaged Crouse and Boedker (at least he got some AHL time). They were physically ready for the league, but ended up focusing on third line two way roles way too early and never developed the offensive touch to hit their ceiling, the reason they were such high picks. Looks like Crouse is rounding into his projection now, but he might have always been there had they left him in Tucson for a couple years instead of straight to the third line.

The point is, for the most part it wasn't that we were absolutely wrong in our choices, the players were not carefully developed so they had a chance to be worth their selection. Looks like that is fixed now. We may still have some fallout, but the ceiling/value if some of these players hit is incredible, and we finally have the development approach to give them every chance to hit it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad