GDT: The 2023 NHL Entry Draft, June 28 - 29, 2023

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
Here it is: The 2023 NHL Draft GDT.

Our list of picks is for reference below. I will update the OP if we make any deals with some of these picks throughout the day.

Will also try to update the OP as picks are made, and link to each prospect's discussion thread.

RoundPick#OAConditionsPick Made/Disposition
1stDET9N/A9OA: Nate Danielson
1stNYI17From Vancouver (1 Mar 2023). Hronek Trade.17OA: Axel Sandin Pellikka
2ndDET41
2ndSTL42From St. Louis (21 Mar 2022). Leddy Trade
2ndVan43From Vancouver (1 Mar 2023). Hronek Trade.
3rdDET73
4thMIN117From Minnesota (3 Mar 2023). Sundqvist Trade.
5thDET137
6thDET169
7thDET201

Last edited:

Roy S

May 16, 2009
Awful second round. Only 8 forwards taken in the top 2 rounds the past 5 drafts vs 9 defensemen. This should have been a forward-heavy draft given our lack of top 6 talent up front and so much investment the past few years on defenseman.

Also, taking a goalie in the 2nd a few years after taking a goalie in the 1st is terrible asset management.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
Steve just said to everyone, I like my D huge! No more shrimps back there.

Honestly, really thought this draft was way heavy on offensuve talent and thought we could add some guns but Steve decided he will sneak in and take the tanks in the back that were probably underrated due to the offensive talent. These three defenseman should solidify our backend for years and give Steve some very valuable teade chips. Bold stratagy Cotton, I mean Steve. Now lets go get some offensive talent please.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Steve just said to everyone, I like my D huge! No more shrimps back there.

Honestly, really thought this draft was way heavy on offensuve talent and thought we could add some guns but Steve decided he will sneak in and take the tanks in the back that were probably underrated due to the offensive talent. These three defenseman should solidify our backend for years and give Steve some very valuable teade chips. Bold stratagy Cotton, I mean Steve. Now lets go get some offensive talent please.
but still picked asp.......

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Had a chance to take a swing on 3 high end forwards and didn't. Can't say I'm happy with it.

That being said y'all are so dramatic.

Reactions: Realgud

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Some of y’all are so depressing
There were so many good offensive players in this draft. Exactly what we needed.

Aside from ASP it seems we are actively avoiding them for some reason. Sorry man it’s tough to swallow this direction.

In a vacuum I do really like Gibson and Kostin for what they are! But it’s the overall type of players that is puzzling

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I've been saying all season that this team is too good to get in the lottery again.

Looking at the roster we're gonna be throwing out next year and the UFA class in 2024, we are probably a lottery team for at least two more seasons.

I love hockey, but watching my franchise get run into the ground is getting frustrating.

This was reportedly the best draft since 2015 and we're taking a knee and going after the lowest potential in the 2nd round while taking scraps from teams like the Oilers.

In my opinion this is the worst draft under Yzerman and it's not even done yet. Aside from Danielson I do not see a full time NHLer coming from any of ASP, Augustine, Cleveland or Gibson.

raymond23

lgrw
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
There were so many good offensive players in this draft. Exactly what we needed.

Aside from ASP it seems we are actively avoiding them for some reason. Sorry man it’s tough to swallow this direction.

In a vacuum I do really like Gibson and Kostin for what they are! But it’s the overall type of players that is puzzling

Not to be mean but I’ve heard this same thing over and over every draft. And if you don’t see the offensive potential in Danielson then idk what to tell you.

Cleveland sounds like more of a dud but the tendy and the defenseman we got in the 2nd look like really good prospects. Maybe not fancy forwards but that doesn’t mean we have to discount the players we did draft.

It just feels like every year if we don’t draft the undersized winger with big stats then all of you get mad. The reality is most of those guys turn into nobodies too.

We still have plenty of great opportunities to add high end skill to this team. Through draft, trade, ufa, etc. Its a marathon not a sprint

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad