Prospect Info: The 2023-2024 Prospects Thread Pt. 3

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I'm spending a chunk of my work day today snipping/pasting their sheet for every team into Excel so at least I have something general to look at for the summer. I'm assuming that by the start of the season there will be a replacement.
I really liked the spreadsheet Vector was doing is there an updated one somewhere?

Reactions: quat and Vector

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Is his skating Karlsson bad?
Sounds like it. I don't think it is McDonough or Kunz bad though.

Biech went into further details on Karlsson’s game, stating a liking for his “shot and puck handling in the offensive zone,” but described his skating as choppy and lacking speed.

“Slow, soft winger,” Elite Prospects’ Cam Robinson tells Postmedia. He watched him six times this season. “Knows how to produce, though.” "lacks quickness"

There's a reason he was there in the late 3rd round. If his skating was even avg he's probably a mid 2nd rounder.

Reactions: arttk

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I bitched about the Lindholm trade from day 1. I said if this guy turns out to be just a rental, this is going to be a bad trade. I would rather have the picks and Kuzmenko back whether or not we won a playoff round.

Our prospect pool would look better.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I bitched about the Lindholm trade from day 1. I said if this guy turns out to be just a rental, this is going to be a bad trade. I would rather have the picks and Kuzmenko back whether or not we won a playoff round.

Good looking prospect pool shouldn't be the goal. Getting our core that playoff experience was absolutely worth the cost.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sounds like Riley Patterson was easily the most dynamic player in the development camp scrimmage yesterday. Looking forward to seeing if he can take a big step forward in production this year.
I don't know how the Canuck scouts are doing it, but even without a pick until 93 in the third round; and picks in the fourth, sixth and seventh round, they still manage to find kids who project well above where they were drafted.

Patterson, Romani and Arliksson will definitely be players to watch in the OHL this season, and two of the kids from this draft could well be near the top of the scoring parade. And Fenstrom looked impressive at development camp, and might have a shot at making the Swedish World Jr. Team. And if not this year, then probably definitely next year.

It's really just a sea change. Just seemed that almost every later round pick in the previous regime went back to their junior or NCAA clubs, and basically disappointed and failed to develop. A lot them not even getting a contract.

Makes you wonder where the Canuck prospect pool would be if they hadn't traded so many first and second round draft picks over the last three seasons or so.

Reactions: DS7

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
His model does not value players like EP2 and Willander, which will naturally drop the Canucks.
Canucks are 20th in depth star rank and with barely having any first or second round picks the past couple years. Canucks haven't drafted a goalie before the 5th round since Mikey D in 2017. It's up to the team and players to develop into something more than depth.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
I don't know how the Canuck scouts are doing it, but even without a pick until 93 in the third round; and picks in the fourth, sixth and seventh round, they still manage to find kids who project well above where they were drafted.

Patterson, Romani and Arliksson will definitely be players to watch in the OHL this season, and two of the kids from this draft could well be near the top of the scoring parade. And Fenstrom looked impressive at development camp, and might have a shot at making the Swedish World Jr. Team. And if not this year, then probably definitely next year.

It's really just a sea change. Just seemed that almost every later round pick in the previous regime went back to their junior or NCAA clubs, and basically disappointed and failed to develop. A lot them not even getting a contract.

Makes you wonder where the Canuck prospect pool would be if they hadn't traded so many first and second round draft picks over the last three seasons or so.
Alriksson looks nothing special and reflects poor scouting.

Reactions: wetcoast

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

Technically, letting him go allowed them to sign any combination of the UFAs that add up to $7.7M. It's arguable that this was a Kuzmenko for DeBrusk transaction with Lindholm holding the fort for a couple of months. I'm ok with that.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Technically, letting him go allowed them to sign any combination of the UFAs that add up to $7.7M. It's arguable that this was a Kuzmenko for DeBrusk transaction with Lindholm holding the fort for a couple of months. I'm ok with that.
Yeah I would have rather had the draft picks and probably could have got something like a 3rd for Kuzmeko, if we retained 20%. Matter of opinion I guess.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
What is the quality difference between Riley Patterson and Sam O’Reilly who Edmonton took 32 (and foolishly moved their 25 1st for imo, that was a critical asset for deadline improvement)

They seem to be very similar profiles

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Good looking prospect pool shouldn't be the goal. Getting our core that playoff experience was absolutely worth the cost.
I agree and part of the reason is that I'm not a fan of Kuz but having Willander, Hunter and say Emery or Danford in the pipeline would be reassuring.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad