The 2022 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
He’s REALLY slowed down. Not just on the scoresheet, either. Red flag for me.
looking like the ? about his game (mainly consistency) were bang on. There is a reason he was rated as a middle of the pack guy (not a top 10) before the season began.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I was there as well. C over D.
I thought when they faced each other MacKinnon dominated and looked like he had another gear on everyone there. I also remember liking Domi, not his skill but he just seemed to always be involved.

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
I get worried when I watch Geekie, I see him with the great hands, but the motor isn't there, and I just don't want a "project pick" in the top 3. I want the "go motor" kid, I'll take Wright, Kemell, Savoie, Miroshnichenko, who all have "Go Motors".

What’s scary, out of this list, is the only guy with motor concerns is Wright. Part of me thinks he is just playing to level of competition.

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
It was interesting to hear the podcast (recommended by @hbk ) talk about goals per game in the different leagues. IIRC, OHL has highest at nearly 7, and the Q is below 5? I think Liiga is right around that 5 number as well. Helps give perspective about how inflation of stats in different leagues might work.

In theory, you would think Wright was the only with more points per game, not Kemell.

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
Kemell out 3-4 weeks (longer than the 1-2 originally announced).

Would love if we could nab another top-flight scoring winger to play opposite of Guenther, a playmaking center, and well-rounded Defenseman this draft. It’s a lot to ask for… but if there is ever a year.

First Pick (1-4)
Take one of Wright, Kemell, Savoie, Yurov in top four.

Second Pick (11-15)
If almost all forwards are going in top-10 this year, that leaves chance to grab an A-level defenseman in this range. Nemec, Jiricik (if they fall), Chesley, Luneau, Mateychuck.

Third Pick (15-20)* Traded up
Pick opposite of center or winger based first pick selection. Maybe Lambert falls this far? Ostlund, Poitras, Lekkerimaki.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Kemell out 3-4 weeks (longer than the 1-2 originally announced).

Would love if we could nab another top-flight scoring winger to play opposite of Guenther, a playmaking center, and well-rounded Defenseman this draft. It’s a lot to ask for… but if there is ever a year.

First Pick (1-4)
Take one of Wright, Kemell, Savoie, Yurov in top four.

Second Pick (11-15)
If almost all forwards are going in top-10 this year, that leaves chance to grab an A-level defenseman in this range. Nemec, Jiricik (if they fall), Chesley, Luneau, Mateychuck.

Third Pick (15-20)* Traded up
Pick opposite of center or winger based first pick selection. Maybe Lambert falls this far? Ostlund, Poitras, Lekkerimaki.

Yurov may be talented, but he's a floater, I wouldn't pick him inside the top 10

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I think you have to take one of Savoie or Wright in that 1-4 slot unless you're confident that a guy youre in love with will be there in the 11-20 space. Maybe that guy is Gaucher or Hughes, dono, but you need to be pretty confident in a 1c outlook for that player. Also I don't care much for Lambert, wouldn't draft him.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack

Jagged Ice

Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Yurov may be talented, but he's a floater, I wouldn't pick him inside the top 10
Closest I’ve seen to games from him was shift by shift videos. I didn’t see much floating. If he was in the MHL I could get some games. But I don’t know how to get KHL games. Plus he plays like 4mins per night in the KHL anyway. Lol.

But from the little I’ve seen, he does seem to go inside. Do you mean more in the defensive zone? Like cheating and cherry picking?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
How can he have Lambert with 3 points in 14 games ahead of Kemmel who has 18 points in 16 games. They play on the same damn team. That is either an old list or he's on meth.

I think there's a stigma among media scouts about adjusting too quickly to fresh results. Maybe they're rebelling against the notion that stats matter a lot, since analytics are slowly replacing the old school scouting strategies. All of us stat watchers on the internet can tell who's hot and who's cold. Maybe the media scouts are intentionally slow to adjust their lists to remind us that they're not stat watchers. Whatever the reason, this is definitely a thing. It's not just Wheeler.

Reactions: Grimes

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
Goal and an assist for Wright tonight through 2 periods

He had 1+2 but got called back with offside. Quite a few other chances as well.

He is so smart when the puck is on his stick. Every time he touches it, there is a good play created, even when seemingly nothing is given to him.

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
He’s got Perevalov 25th. Pronman has him 20th. I figured he’d have climbed more by now. Maybe an interesting option for our second pick in the 1st.

From the clips I saw, I wasn’t too keen on him. Such a long windup for a wrist-shot only to see it come off his stick slowly. Skating was also average to below average.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
cleanhits.substack.com
From the clips I saw, I wasn’t too keen on him. Such a long windup for a wrist-shot only to see it come off his stick slowly. Skating was also average to below average.

I'd have to agree. All the video I've seen isn't impressive on a skill stand point. But the picks keep going into the net, and he keeps making plays. Maybe this means his IQ is off the charts and he has the toolbox to capitalize on it, or maybe he is getting lucky.

I see two scenarios; he explodes at WJC and gets into the top 15, potentially top five overthrowing Miroshnichenko or he rises into the late 1st and and cements this with his WJC. If he keeps this pace up in the league he is in to begin taking him seriously.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
cleanhits.substack.com
I think there's a stigma among media scouts about adjusting too quickly to fresh results. Maybe they're rebelling against the notion that stats matter a lot, since analytics are slowly replacing the old school scouting strategies. All of us stat watchers on the internet can tell who's hot and who's cold. Maybe the media scouts are intentionally slow to adjust their lists to remind us that they're not stat watchers. Whatever the reason, this is definitely a thing. It's not just Wheeler.

It is totally this. Kemmel has been the better player this year by a mile. I do think recency bias is a huge issue with scouts and the talking heads, and that's why guys like Jonathan Dahlen seem to "come out of nowhere" when really they were highly touted before their draft year and just took longer to develop. But that bias also happens on the other side where those guys projected to go top three and have poor draft years don't fall on lists until March.

Brady Tkachuk is such a unique example of the draft year not affecting the raw talent and attitude the kid had. I know a lot of F40 were down on him because of his lackluster draft year stats. Good on Ottawa to stick to their scouts rankings on him. He looked like a faller.

Guess what I'm saying is it's important to factor more than just a players draft year when ranking, whether a riser like Nico Hischer or faller like Chychrun. So while I would not personally risk a top ten pick on Lambert, just.like Chychrun and Barzal he could be a steal in the mid 1st. I cannot wait for this draft.

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Lots of scouts (and fans!) are hung up on the idea of potential and skills in the toolbox versus what a player does with them.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
HF stat watchers tend to overvalue recent production.
Old-school scouts tend to overvalue tools and traits.
A blended perspective is needed (and most scouts are well equiped in doing this).

I guess my point is that when you're ranking the top 10 prospects, there's no room for a high pedigree player that is $h*tting the bed in his draft year. Raty was drafted mid-2nd round and that was a steal. He fell too far. But there would be no good reason to keep him in the top 10 of a ranking for any length of time in his disappointing draft year.

It's already too late for Lambert to salvage his season and remain a top 10 pick. That ship sailed when he was left off the WJC roster. Wheeler having him at 4 OA is silly. Lambert can definitely salvage his season and remain a 1st round pick though.

Reactions: Mosby and Grimes

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
cleanhits.substack.com

Man Cosentino is obsessed with Slafkovsky. Ahead of Kemell. I love seeing the names that appear in that chunk of players from 12-26. If Montreal lands around 15 we will be able to get a very good player. Even if Colorado has the 32 pick we should have plenty of ammo to get to that 25-27 spot where Cosentino has Hughes and Gaucher (probably a little low but that just means some other great player is there like Ty Neleson or Chelsey).

What a deep first round.

Reactions: Mosby
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad