Prospect Info: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
Why do you like him? From everything I’ve read he’s a really safe, low-upside pick. A Swedish Josh Norris.
I don’t think he’s a low upside pick. I think he’s likely a good 2C. I could see him being a Mikko Koivu type player. I don’t think he’s as high upside as a guy like Merkley but he’s not nearly as boon/bust. I do think he’s much more offensively gifted than a prospect like Norris.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I like Denisenko, Bokk and Kravtsov up front. I like Merkley on D but would be ok with Smith or Wilde.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I don’t think he’s a low upside pick. I think he’s likely a good 2C. I could see him being a Mikko Koivu type player. I don’t think he’s as high upside as a guy like Merkley but he’s not nearly as boon/bust. I do think he’s much more offensively gifted than a prospect like Norris.

I’ll defer to you since I’ve never seen Lundstrom play, but it’s hard to get excited about Lundstrom when he barely surpassed half of what Elias Lindholm put up in his draft year, when Lindholm is a decent stylistic comparable and isn’t exactly lighting it up. The SHL has gone down in quality over the past few years while the Finnish Liiga has been improving.

Guys like Lundstrom typically turn into 3rd line centers. Doesn’t sound like anything more than a Swedish Josh Norris to me.

Reactions: Gecklund

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I never saw Gomez in his prime so I won’t comment on that. But Stastny was an established #1C through his prime and so was Eric Staal. Panarin is an elite forward, have you watched him? And Guentzel plays with Crosby, you can’t possibly include him in this comparison.

Barzal may not score 85 points without the insulation of Tavares, but even if he scored 70 points next season that’s still very good first line center production in this era.

There is a difference between a #1C and a franchise-caliber center who can be a foundational piece on your team. I thought the assertion was that the Sharks missed out on such a player when they passed on Barzal. They may have, but I am not sure yet.

My counter point was that those franchise-caliber foundational players are rarely drafted outside of the top-5 of the draft (excepting goalies).

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
There is a difference between a #1C and a franchise-caliber center who can be a foundational piece on your team. I thought the assertion was that the Sharks missed out on such a player when they passed on Barzal. They may have, but I am not sure yet.

My counter point was that those franchise-caliber foundational players are rarely drafted outside of the top-5 of the draft (excepting goalies).

And I agree with that point. I’m not expecting Barzal to be a Matthews, McDavid, Eichel, Barkov, Mackinnon, Scheifele; those are the young likely franchise centers in this league. But Barzal has shown that he can produce like them. A legitimate #1C is a foundational piece even if they aren’t a “franchise” player. And we don’t know yet that Barzal is or isn’t, like you said; he could be, but let’s see if he can put up 85 points again. I agree with your counterpoint; my only point is that the Sharks deliberately skipped over a young #1C and they will pay for that mistake for the next decade.

I also think you have a looser definition of “franchise” than I do. In my view, franchise centers are limited to: Crosby, Malkin, Barkov, Scheifele, Mackinnon, McDavid, and arguably Bergeron. Matthews and Eichel are on their way there. Tavares, Stamkos, Kopitar are on the border for me. Thornton, Toews, Sedin, and Getzlaf were recently, but not in 2018. Until Giroux proves his resurgence isn’t an aberration, I won’t count him. Nor will I count Karlsson until he proves he isn’t a one-hit wonder.

To be clear, when I say “star #1C” in the context of Kuznetsov, I mean approximately top-12 or top-15. I’d rank centers approximately like this: McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, Barkov, Scheifele, Matthews, Mackinnon, Eichel, Bergeron, Kopitar, Tavares, Kuznetsov, Seguin, Stamkos, Draisaitl. I think the first twelve centers are Cup-caliber #1C’s, and the last three are borderline. But I wouldn’t consider them all “franchise”. I think Barzal could get to top-15, but maybe not “franchise”. Either way, it’s mostly semantics. The point is that the Sharks f***ed up big time.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Based on combine results the Sharks are going to take Liam Foudy in the 1st. I hope they take a shot on Ruslan Ishakov in the middle rounds. He’s tiny at 5’7” but he’s got crazy skill.

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
I’ll defer to you since I’ve never seen Lundstrom play, but it’s hard to get excited about Lundstrom when he barely surpassed half of what Elias Lindholm put up in his draft year, when Lindholm is a decent stylistic comparable and isn’t exactly lighting it up. The SHL has gone down in quality over the past few years while the Finnish Liiga has been improving.

Guys like Lundstrom typically turn into 3rd line centers. Doesn’t sound like anything more than a Swedish Josh Norris to me.
Lindholm was more NHL ready than Lundestrom but he was still rushed into the NHL and I believe that hurt his development. Lundestrom’s skill set is more of a top 6 forward however he could turn out to only be a 3C. From what I have watched, I think Lundestrom has a solid in tight game that will translate well to NA

Reactions: WSS11

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
And I agree with that point. I’m not expecting Barzal to be a Matthews, McDavid, Eichel, Barkov, Mackinnon, Scheifele; those are the young likely franchise centers in this league. But Barzal has shown that he can produce like them. A legitimate #1C is a foundational piece even if they aren’t a “franchise” player. And we don’t know yet that Barzal is or isn’t, like you said; he could be, but let’s see if he can put up 85 points again. I agree with your counterpoint; my only point is that the Sharks deliberately skipped over a young #1C and they will pay for that mistake for the next decade.

I also think you have a looser definition of “franchise” than I do. In my view, franchise centers are limited to: Crosby, Malkin, Barkov, Scheifele, Mackinnon, McDavid, and arguably Bergeron. Matthews and Eichel are on their way there. Tavares, Stamkos, Kopitar are on the border for me. Thornton, Toews, Sedin, and Getzlaf were recently, but not in 2018. Until Giroux proves his resurgence isn’t an aberration, I won’t count him. Nor will I count Karlsson until he proves he isn’t a one-hit wonder.

To be clear, when I say “star #1C” in the context of Kuznetsov, I mean approximately top-12 or top-15. I’d rank centers approximately like this: McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, Barkov, Scheifele, Matthews, Mackinnon, Eichel, Bergeron, Kopitar, Tavares, Kuznetsov, Seguin, Stamkos, Draisaitl. I think the first twelve centers are Cup-caliber #1C’s, and the last three are borderline. But I wouldn’t consider them all “franchise”. I think Barzal could get to top-15, but maybe not “franchise”. Either way, it’s mostly semantics. The point is that the Sharks ****ed up big time.

I think players like Getzlaf, Toews, Sedin, Kopitar, and Giroux were definitely franchise-caliber centers for decent stretches in the past, which is why I include them.

A true #1C is a great piece, but it isn’t a foundational piece. Joe Pavelski was certainly at that level for a few seasons.

Think about the top centers on teams that have won a cup since 1990:

Messier, Lemieux x2, Damphousse, Messier, Broten, Sakic, Fedorov/Yzerman x2, Modano, Arnott, Sakic, Yzerman, Madden, Richards, Staal, Getzlaf, Datsyuk, Crosby, Toews, Bergeron, Kopitar, Toews, Kopitar, Toews, Crosby, Crosby.

Outside of Damphousse, Broten, Arnott, Madden, Getzlaf, Bergeron, and Toews in 2013, those were unquestionably franchise-caliber performances (and a case can be made for Getzlaf and Bergeron IMO).

The 1993 Canadiens received the finest goaltending performance ever seen in the playoffs from Patrick Roy.
The 1995 Devils had Stevens and Brodeur
The 2000 and 2003 Devils had Niedermayer, Stevens, and Brodeur
The 2007 Ducks had Giguere, Niedermayer, and Pronger
The 2011 Bruins had Chara and Thomas
The 2013 Blackhawks had Keith and (playmaking-winger) Kane

Outside of one team, those teams had superstars at other positions to make up for not having a superstar at center...

Last edited:

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
@OrrNumber4

Joe Pavelski was never a true #1C. Similar to Draisaitl, who Jux mentioned, both players play some center and some wing, but both players have only produced/played at a #1 level as the winger next to a legitimate superstar franchise C. Neither of these guys are #1Cs until they do it as the center of their own line.

I agree with the rest of your post.

If San Jose adds Tavares (or were to have drafted Barzal), they will still need an elite superstar performance from at least one of Burns or Jones.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think players like Getzlaf, Toews, Sedin, Kopitar, and Giroux were definitely franchise-caliber centers for decent stretches in the past, which is why I include them.

A true #1C is a great piece, but it isn’t a foundational piece. Joe Pavelski was certainly at that level for a few seasons.

Think about the top centers on teams that have won a cup since 1990:

Messier, Lemieux x2, Damphousse, Messier, Broten, Sakic, Fedorov/Yzerman x2, Modano, Arnott, Sakic, Yzerman, Madden, Richards, Staal, Getzlaf, Datsyuk, Crosby, Toews, Bergeron, Kopitar, Toews, Kopitar, Toews, Crosby, Crosby.

Outside of Damphousse, Broten, Arnott, Madden, Getzlaf, Bergeron, and Toews in 2013, those were unquestionably franchise-caliber performances (and a case can be made for Getzlaf and Bergeron IMO).

The 1993 Canadiens received the finest goaltending performance ever seen in the playoffs from Patrick Roy.
The 1995 Devils had Stevens and Brodeur
The 2000 and 2003 Devils had Niedermayer, Stevens, and Brodeur
The 2007 Ducks had Giguere, Niedermayer, and Pronger
The 2011 Bruins had Chara and Thomas
The 2013 Blackhawks had Keith and (playmaking-winger) Kane

Outside of one team, those teams had superstars at other positions to make up for not having a superstar at center...

Right, I’m not arguing. And the Sharks have. Burns as that superstar at another position.

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Right, I’m not arguing. And the Sharks have. Burns as that superstar at another position.

And he played at that level in the 2016 playoffs and 2017 regular season, but he hasn’t been at that level since, and I’m a bit skeptical about him playing at that level long term.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Nieto wasn't a waste of a 2nd round pick.

Yeah, it was a waste since they let their 2nd round draft pick go on waivers. Didn't even get a bag of pucks.

Nieto wasn't a low 2nd round pick either. Also, considering Kucherov was available, it was a waste. Not a bad waste, but a waste nonetheless.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Yeah, it was a waste since they let their 2nd round draft pick go on waivers. Didn't even get a bag of pucks.

Nieto wasn't a low 2nd round pick either. Also, considering Kucherov was available, it was a waste. Not a bad waste, but a waste nonetheless.
Kucherov and Johnny Gaudreau. If you’re gonna draft a small forward, draft the one with crazy skill.

Last edited:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Less than 1/2 of 2nd round picks make a lasting impact in the league. Hard to blame the Sharks when teams past on those guys over 30 times, too.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

They got about three seasons out of a mid-round 2nd round draft pick. That's not a waste just because they gave him an opportunity elsewhere when his minutes started to be cut. If you think that is a waste then you've lost perspective on what teams on average get out of a 2nd round pick, much less one at the level in the 2nd round that Nieto was picked.

Reactions: gaucholoco3

37 others

Apr 18, 2017

This just in, people upset about decisions in hindsight!

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
So are we going to see Norris in 2018-2019? He was a first round draft choice.
He's probably won't go pro until after his junior year so like 2020. He's got some positive things going on so I'm interested in seeing what happens next year since Calderone, Marody, etc are leaving the team next year.

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
I've only read about Bok, and, he seems interesting. Anyone seen him play or have a quick scouting report?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad