Confirmed with Link: That's Dr. Eric Tulsky: New GM to You!

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Regarding the Jarvis extension stuff, what if a team wants to put together a 5 year $9.16M offer sheet for Jarvis? Walks him right to UFA and we would only re-coup a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd if we don't match. That would be a nightmare scenario for me as we would be paying full UFA value for his RFA years.

It's not super likely that another team would offer it, but it is definitely possible with the cap rising. Teams like Detroit or Buffalo looking to take the next step could pull this off.

Do y'all think that is at all likely? I value Jarvis about 85% of what I valued Aho at the time of his offer sheet.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Regarding the Jarvis extension stuff, what if a team wants to put together a 5 year $9.16M offer sheet for Jarvis? Walks him right to UFA and we would only re-coup a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd if we don't match. That would be a nightmare scenario for me as we would be paying full UFA value for his RFA years.

It's not super likely that another team would offer it, but it is definitely possible with the cap rising. Teams like Detroit or Buffalo looking to take the next step could pull this off.

Do y'all think that is at all likely? I value Jarvis about 85% of what I valued Aho at the time of his offer sheet.
I'm not particularly worried about that. You match if you must but hopefully he's not as dead set on five years as Aho was. At the same time, the Aho situation turned out fine.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'm not particularly worried about that. You match if you must but hopefully he's not as dead set on five years as Aho was. At the same time, the Aho situation turned out fine.
I'd be more concerned about the cap hit. 5 years walking to UFA isn't the worst with Jarvis; I think he's a Hurricanes lifer. However, you'd hope to get some cap savings if you don't buy any UFA years.

In any case, I hope we give him "the Svechnikov" extension more or less. They both have kinda sorta the same overall stats in 3 years. Jarvis has shown a more steady growth, but Svechnikov started a the show a year earlier and also has a more projectable frame and draft pedigree.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I don't know if this FO would take the picks in situation, but be assured they touch base with every RFA the perpetrating team has until they feel properly revenged.

The question isn't if Buffalo or Detroit can afford to OS Jarvy, it's if they can afford to pay a premium on their every young player after they OS Jarvy.

I like Jarvis a lot...but I think we win if we turn Jarvis into a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, one of Peterka or Quinn, and make them pay through the nose to keep Benson the next year. Suddenly, their future is now a portion of our now much-improved future and the message is sent that OSing our RFAs is a good way to see your rebuild strangled in its infancy.

And...we win if they match for Jarvis and then steal one of Peterka, Quinn (2025), or Benson (2026) to send the same message. Being a cap-conservative spend-to-the-cap team means we have the flexibility most years to make this a very, very bad idea.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

The key to any offer sheet discussion is that Jarvis has to sign it. Maybe money changes his desire to be here and continue to work with Rod.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad