Player Discussion Thatcher Demko

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Of course it matters whether he returns or not. Risk of recurring injury is not the same as not being able to play.

This injury sounds like something that is still bothering him that may or may not go away. The question is whether it's safe for him to play. As far as I know he has been practising and no surgery is needed. If what bothers him doesn't go away is it safe for him to play? Like is it just something he needs to play through or is it something that he will aggravate every time.
playing through it he will aggravate it every time. he could be put on ltir and let his contract run out and vancouver can find a new number 1 goalie whose capable of being healthy when needed upon.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
playing through it he will aggravate it every time. he could be put on ltir and let his contract run out and vancouver can find a new number 1 goalie whose capable of being healthy when needed upon.

That's the question though. There are goalies who play through pain (e.g. Luongo later years). But playing through pain that is fairly consistent where you learn to manage/deal with it is different from an injury that say can seize up, give out/become unstable, or produce a really sharp pain at any moment.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
A scenario does exist where the uncertainty of Demko's reliability/longevity/cost has the Canucks seriously considering moving forward with Lankinen.

The only way I see it not being a serious consideration is if Demko comes back as a vezina caliber goalie AND has proven to the medical staff that his unprecedented condition is squarely in the rearview mirror.

The difference in cap between the two goalies moving forward -- under most scenarios -- is likely to be several million, IMO upwards of $5M or more. With the OEL penalty increasing the difference in play between the two has to be significant enough to justify a likely huge disparity between their prospective salaries.

All that said, Lankinen needs to continue to show what he has. His pedigree suggests his play is not an anomaly.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
A scenario does exist where the uncertainty of Demko's reliability/longevity/cost has the Canucks seriously considering moving forward with Lankinen.

The only way I see it not being a serious consideration is if Demko comes back as a vezina caliber goalie AND has proven to the medical staff that his unprecedented condition is squarely in the rearview mirror.

The difference in cap between the two goalies moving forward -- under most scenarios -- is likely to be several million, IMO upwards of $5M or more. With the OEL penalty increasing the difference in play between the two has to be significant enough to justify a likely huge disparity between their prospective salaries.

All that said, Lankinen needs to continue to show what he has. His pedigree suggests his play is not an anomaly.

I don't disagree with your analysis here,. It obviously largely depends on Lankinen's performance going forward and Demko's health/return.

I don't think the difference in cap hit will be upwards of $5M or more. Depending on term, an expected starter with Lankinen's resume is going to make ~$3.5-4.5M AAV. A healthy Vezina-contending Demko will get ~$8M-$8.5M. Demko with questionable health? Probably ~$6-6.5M AAV on a shorter term deal depending on games played.

I think there's quite a bit of ways to go before we are able to make any sort of informed decision.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
It’s really sad but I don’t think demko comes back to be a regular starter, injuries on goalies are just too hard to overcome, see bishop, price, Murray and Schneider. Not one star goalie has had a rash of injuries came back and went on to a long career afterward that I can remember.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
I love having Demko on the team. You can see the potential to steal multiple series from him. Unfortunately injuries have caught up and the team needs to start thinking about moving on from him.

Really wish we could see a playoffs where he showed the league and all the other fans what he is capable of.

Demmer will command 8 M a year on his next contract. Doesnt work without gutting our forward group. Need a succession plan quick.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I love having Demko on the team. You can see the potential to steal multiple series from him. Unfortunately injuries have caught up and the team needs to start thinking about moving on from him.

Really wish we could see a playoffs where he showed the league and all the other fans what he is capable of.

Demmer will command 8 M a year on his next contract. Doesnt work without gutting our forward group. Need a succession plan quick.

Yes time to move on, would bring in a haul in a trade. We can’t afford to pay him more than 6M. Canucks can really solidify their roster by moving injury prone Demko.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Yes time to move on, would bring in a haul in a trade. We can’t afford to pay him more than 6M. Canucks can really solidify their roster by moving injury prone Demko.
If we can't rely on him, why would anyone be willing to trade a meaningful asset to change places with us? He's only an asset if he's healthy and in that situation, he's likely worth more to us as a starting goalie than he is in trade.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
If we can't rely on him, why would anyone be willing to trade a meaningful asset to change places with us? He's only an asset if he's healthy and in that situation, he's likely worth more to us as a starting goalie than he is in trade.

Obviously the Canucks would trade him when he’s healthy and playing well, would you at that point capitalize on the opportunity and trade him for a great return or simply role with him with your fingers crossed hoping he doesn’t get injured again in the future? A tough call as he’s a great goalie.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Obviously the Canucks would trade him when he’s healthy and playing well, would you at that point capitalize on the opportunity and trade him for a great return or simply role with him with your fingers crossed hoping he doesn’t get injured again in the future? A tough call as he’s a great goalie.
Realistically see teams targeting him based on cap space availability: LA, Colorado, Washington and maybe Detroit?

If there is a bidding war then you indeed trade him for a young defenseman (looking at LA here). I cannot see a haul coming back in return though given Demko's history of injuries.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Obviously the Canucks would trade him when he’s healthy and playing well, would you at that point capitalize on the opportunity and trade him for a great return or simply role with him with your fingers crossed hoping he doesn’t get injured again in the future?
Starting goalies who are in the conversation for Vezna trophies are worth far more to contending teams - particularly those that drafted and spent a decade developing said goalie - than one could ever hope to return in trade*.

If he can't get healthy, he's worth nothing in trade or as a player for us.

If he can get healthy and regains his prior form, he's worth more to us for the duration of his contract than he is to any potential acquirer as durability concerns will linger and his value as a trade chip is muted.

*The only path to a trade is if he's healthy next year and we're out of the playoff race and are in asset harvesting mode.

Reactions: sting101

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad