Toronto FC: TFC 2024 Season

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
One huge change I'd like to see is Shaffelburg starting. His speed has absolutely torn Argentina and Peru to shreds.

Yeah he's been exceptional. Having him come on later isn't all that bad though. It does make him thrive as a super sub though when he comes up against tired legs.

It would be nice to have him on TFC again. The were hasty in letting him go.

Reactions: ACC1224

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I would never argue that it would be. Canada came into this tournament as a 4th bin team for a reason.

I am just arguing that Canada should have the bookmakers liking them against Chile again.

One huge change I'd like to see is Shaffelburg starting. His speed has absolutely torn Argentina and Peru to shreds.
Totally fair!

Shaff has been amazing. I wonder if he gets the start on Saturday or is used as a subersub.

Chile is not a fast team and he will be able to dominate with his pace against tired legs.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
The big thing about the world rankings is that the higher Canada can get, the easier it will be to schedule friendlies heading into the World Cup.

Being a host is a good starter, but rising up will also make better teams want to face Canada.

Reactions: howlman

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006

And this is why editors exist.

For one) Canada does NOT automatically move on with a draw (because first tiebreak is goal differential and Peru's would be higher if they beat Argentina) and for two) Canada cannot face ANY of the teams mentioned in the quarterfinals. If Canada moves on, they can ONLY play one of Mexico (if they win tonight, that becomes highly likely), or another group B team. Argentina would likely be the semifinalist against the winner of 2A/1B.

The US is on the side of death with Columbia or Brazil for a quarter and Uruguay or the other one for a semi.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I'm obviously happy with the win but we were outplayed by Peru until the red card was given, and even then, we needed incredible goaltending in the dying minutes to hang on. Peru was supposed to be the easiest opponent in our group and they outclassed us.

I know that the team is still adapting to a new system being implemented by Marsch, but I expected more out of this group offensively than what they have shown thus far.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
I'm obviously happy with the win but we were outplayed by Peru until the red card was given, and even then, we needed incredible goaltending in the dying minutes to hang on. Peru was supposed to be the easiest opponent in our group and they outclassed us.

I know that the team is still adapting to a new system being implemented by Marsch, but I expected more out of this group offensively than what they have shown thus far.
One of the big things is that Canada needs more guys playing at higher levels. This is always true, but the more of your depth plays for quality teams, the higher the expectations of their performances.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
One of the big things is that Canada needs more guys playing at higher levels. This is always true, but the more of your depth plays for quality teams, the higher the expectations of their performances.

Tajon Buchanan and Stephen Eustaquio have made some questionable transfer moves. They went to huge teams (Porto and Inter Milan), but the problem now is they barely play. Seems like a real shame.

Sometimes the biggest move isn't the best move in a player's career. It really shows shows in Buchanan's game too. He was really dynamic when he played in MLS and later Brugge. played with a ton of confidence. His play on the national team is taken a notable dip in my opinion.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Tajon Buchanan and Stephen Eustaquio have made some questionable transfer moves. They went to huge teams (Porto and Inter Milan), but the problem now is they barely play. Seems like a real shame.
In both cases, the player needed to try and crack it at the next level. In Buchanans case, he just got their in January, and started to feature more in Inters plans as the season went on. I may be optimistic but i do think we see more from him in Serie A next season.

For Staq - He had some great moments with Porto. His form took a major dip this season and I'm willing to give some grace due to the personal losses he has endured the past year and a bit (both parents).

That being said, I think it may be time for him to look for a move to middling European team where he will feature more and maintain a competitive level.

Reactions: fancy lad

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
In an absolute shocker, Mexico laid an egg last night. Venezuela has guaranteed themselves to move on and only need a draw against lowly Jamaica to guarantee first. Mexico has to win against Ecuador in order to move on as the 2 seed from Group B.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
What's the consensus on this year's Copa with the North American teams? Personally i LOVE it!

Gold Cup is BS. so obviously this is a way better competition for the concacaf teams. But also past copas seemed like smaller tournaments with 2 groups. This year it feels like a bigger more substantial competition all across the board.

I wonder what south american purists think? I really hope this is going to be the format for Copa from now on.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
What's the consensus on this year's Copa with the North American teams? Personally i LOVE it!

Gold Cup is BS. so obviously this is a way better competition for the concacaf teams. But also past copas seemed like smaller tournaments with 2 groups. This year it feels like a bigger more substantial competition all across the board.

I wonder what south american purists think? I really hope this is going to be the format for Copa from now on.
This Copa is making it painfully obvious how poor the structure of Concacaf's tournaments is.

For one, CONCACAF's setup includes too many knockout games. Basically, if the US or Mexico drops an egg early in a CONCACAF tournament, there is no negative.

To put this in perspective, if Canada won the Gold Cup but never got to face either team, they would have a trophy but wouldn't gain any real ground in world rankings.

For the South Americans, it comes down to how much the money means (because the US hosting will always be a huge gate) and how much risk they are comfortable with (that CONCACAF does well). That being said, having a tournament like this is good at letting each conference see what their relative quality is in a tournament setting.

Reactions: fancy lad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad